Good steel toed boots for use with chain saw?

I picked up my first saw yesterday, a Husqvarna 435, and am in need of good boots to wear. I wear a US size 13W shoe. I am just doing homeowner stuff right now. I am not planning to fell any trees until I can get some kind of training. But I have plenty work to do on a crepe myrtle that is over my head. But even for that I need boots with saw protection. If we go by class, it should be in class 1 protection and have steel toes. I would like to keep the pair around $200 dollars.

I can't think right now but this should cover all my requirements.

Thanks!

Erm, shouldn't you be worried about other body parts, like the arms, legs, face, and neck areas? Just saying, toes are somewhat low on my list of priorities, particularly if I lose the entire leg.

Check out the sthil chainsaw website I believe they have safety equipment there and also check arborist websites should have everything you need. I've seen jeans and chaps that are ment to jam the saw when cut. Nice to see someone being careful and responsible with a chainsaw...having said that...they are a lot of FUN! Good Luck and Be Safe!

Erm, shouldn't you be worried about other body parts, like the arms, legs, face, and neck areas? Just saying, toes are somewhat low on my list of priorities, particularly if I lose the entire leg.

Thanks for the concern. The reason I am asking about boots only is that I probably going to get a Husqvarna Protective Power Kit. It should cover almost everything else. I don't think it comes with cut resistant gloves though. But I can get them from my local dealers. But I don't have any idea on what brand of boots to get, though.

Lazy otter, I was on Stihl website last night but I didn't see any boots.

Hmmm...ah...logger boots I believe is the actual name for the style of boot your looking for. As for brand I really don't know I would say it comes down to how much your willing to spend and safety, quality, comfort, Ect.

I don't know about steel toes we are required to wear fiber toe boots but redwings kingtoe boots are about as wide in the protected toe area as I have found.
We aren't allowed steel toe boots because we have to sometimes work in M.R.I. rooms they are afraid some body will hit the wrong button and they will find us hanging from the top of the machine :eek:
Roy

The full rubber orange chainsaw boots are good and reasonably priced. They're the most common style available at most work wear or hardware stores. Steel toes and protection half way up the shin. Viking is one brand. Husqvarna brands a similar boot. Viking also makes a model with the lower rubber/leather upper which can be more comfortable and better for walking.

LP Royer chainsaw boots
Husqvarna rubber chainsaw boots
Both have build in chainsaw protection and steel toe. I use the Royers in the summer and the Husqvarna the rest of the year

I process lots of wood using a chainsaw....probably close to 20 chords a year. I think the most important thing to protect when running a saw is your eyes and thighs....but the Husky chainsaw boots that were recommended are a good bet. If you wanna be careful and wear some really good high end logger boots that you can be proud of, a few great brands come to mind.....WESCO, NICK'S, HOFFMAN'S, WHITE'S, and on the lower end, Redwings and Danner. All make quality steel toe boots. Good luck with the Husky. I have always wanted a Husky 372XP, which is like the Battle Mistress of chainsaws. Right now I'm running a Stihl 440 Magnum, a MS261, and a small Echo. I like chainsaws as much as I like knives. :)

I process lots of wood using a chainsaw....probably close to 20 chords a year. I think the most important thing to protect when running a saw is your eyes and thighs....but the Husky chainsaw boots that were recommended are a good bet. If you wanna be careful and wear some really good high end logger boots that you can be proud of, a few great brands come to mind.....WESCO, NICK'S, HOFFMAN'S, WHITE'S, and on the lower end, Redwings and Danner. All make quality steel toe boots. Good luck with the Husky. I have always wanted a Husky 372XP, which is like the Battle Mistress of chainsaws. Right now I'm running a Stihl 440 Magnum, a MS261, and a small Echo. I like chainsaws as much as I like knives. :)
Battle Mistress? Ive got a 372 xp and its like a toy compared to my 3120 xp. For what its worth, Id take a 395xp with a woods port and some tuneup work over both of them. For the OP, how much are you gonna be running the saw, and will you only he wearing the boots whe your running it? If so, just get something cheaper. I run a saw a lot, and do a lot of climbing so I wear WESCO's, but I can't imagine spending more than $100 or $150 on a pair of boots I'd wear less than once a week. Also, check Baileys logging supply company. They sell lots of boots and sometimes run really good deals on certain ones. Just so this thread will have pictures, here the 3120 with a 36" bar and chain.

Last edited:
Hey, the 372 is nothing to scoff at.:). I'm not felling redwoods, so I've never laid eyes on a 3120. That's a real hoss! I don't think I've ever needed anything bigger than a 24 inch bar and even the 462 can come out at me pretty aggressively sometimes. But a 3120....I feel ya. :)

It seems like I am hearing good advice. For as little as I plan to run a saw, I have thought about getting a a pair of steel toe work boots from the local farmer coop or big box store. Both people I have talked to said that. One suggested adding metatarsal guards too. If I get saw protective boots, the Husqvarna are the best option. Unfortunately, I don't know if any stores around here carry them. Could probably get them to order me a pair... But I really don't want to order them online.

I have a pair of Wesco Jobmasters that I bought online that I love to wear just about anytime I'm outside working. Wescos are very expensive boots, but a lot of times I will saw in whatever pair of boots I slip on whether it be slip-on Redwings and sometimes hikin boots if I'm just cutting close to the house. I've never given much thought to protecting my feet because I'm used to wearing heavy boots when outdoors anyway. I worry most about my face and the last accident I had was caused by complacency and it involved my thigh. Could have been a lot worse than it was. Accidents do happen and when they happen with a chainsaw they can turn ugly. Any decent steel toe would do and metatarsal guards would just be added security.

Hey, the 372 is nothing to scoff at.:). I'm not felling redwoods, so I've never laid eyes on a 3120. That's a real hoss! I don't think I've ever needed anything bigger than a 24 inch bar and even the 462 can come out at me pretty aggressively sometimes. But a 3120....I feel ya. :)
A 3120 is to much saw for almost everything lol. Ive got it to use on an Alaskan sawmill that we used to build my sisters log house and several log workshops on our farm. It now has a 20" bar and chain and serves as a firewood cutter from time to time. Most of the time I'll grab the 372xp for 98% of the work. Id like to have a 395xp as a happy medium, with a qoods port and some other work to make it run to its true potential. I'm with metal 0321 that Wescos are the best boots Ive ever owned. But like has been said, if your not gonna be sawing alot, just get some cheap steel toes. Im very careful running a saw, but from what Ive seen accidents involving the foot are a minority compared to legs and face. Most of all, just be careful and use common sense. A chainsaw can hurt you bad and do it quickly.

I would sure take a 3120, just to have it, but leaning over for hours sawing can work on your back even with a 50cc saw. But yeah, I've seen some guys turn some huskys into hot rods. I'm sure you know as well as I do Spots, that guys can build their egos around their chainsaws even worse than the knife communities!:) You think a this knife vs that knife or this steel vs that steel thread gets ugly.....try going over to the arborist forums and start up a Stihl vs Husqvarna thread. Man!!!

My go-to slip on boots are good-ole' Redwing Pecos, model 2231. I get them for free where I work but they are about $200. They will have to break in, like any quality boot but fit like a sock once they have and can be re-soled.

My daily wear is American Boot Co model 401. Couldn't complain.

Back