Good steel toed boots for use with chain saw?

A 3120 is to much saw for almost everything lol. Ive got it to use on an Alaskan sawmill that we used to build my sisters log house and several log workshops on our farm. It now has a 20" bar and chain and serves as a firewood cutter from time to time. Most of the time I'll grab the 372xp for 98% of the work. Id like to have a 395xp as a happy medium, with a qoods port and some other work to make it run to its true potential. I'm with metal 0321 that Wescos are the best boots Ive ever ownedut like has been said, if your not gonna be sawing alot, just get some cheap steel toes. Im very careful running a saw, but from what Ive seen accidents involving the foot are a minority compared to legs and face. Most of all, just be careful and use common sense. A chainsaw can hurt you bad and do it quickly.
Does anyone wear composite-toe slip-on work shoes? I like this pair of regular Rockports on days I'm not back in the warehouse in my steel-toe boots. But now I think I want/need a pair of this same style with composite toes for work that I can wear dicking around sockless on weekends too. I kinda think I'd too easily kick off the steel toes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to this (now) undead thread.
9 years is a long time to rest before being dragged back into the light.

I've never worn composite toe slip-ons; but - based on the composite toe shoes I've tried - I can't imagine trying to wear them sockless

Last edited:
Safety shoes worn sockless? Not in my experience. I wore saftey toed "casual styled" shoes for a number of years working in the lab and on the shop floor. But always with thick socks.

I picked up a pair of steel toe boots I quite liked. But no idea about the chainsaw rating.

Hard yakka atomic boots.

Steel toes and heavy logs aren't a good mix........I would never wear a steel toe boot..Ever.........Watched a log fall on A guys foot and the back edge of the steel was turned into a guillotine and removed 3 & 1\2 toes for him.....
Hard pass.

Steel toes and heavy logs aren't a good mix........I would never wear a steel toe boot..Ever.........Watched a log fall on A guys foot and the back edge of the steel was turned into a guillotine and removed 3 & 1\2 toes for him.....
Hard pass.
Is the alternative better?

Hard pass.
How big was the log and what kind of shoes?
Steel toes are not an end-all to foot protection and they do have limits. That being said, just because the boots have steel toes doesn't mean they are actually going to work. Steel toe boots should conform to ANSI specifications to provide effective protection. That means providing adequate protection when a 2500 pound compression force is applied and being able to resist a 75 pound weight dropped on it from several feet above. There are a lot of cheap Wallyworld type made-in-some-foreign-country-on-the-far-side-of-the-world boots that just don't work and are dangerous. There is a big difference between steel-cap boots and real steel toe boots.

Metatarsal boots are used in some fields of work. They also make the covers that fit over your work boot for added protection.

⬆️ ⬆️ Yes to all those suggestions..and a little luck never hurts.
3 of us were clearing a lot. My Dad was limbing, and cut into the top of his right boot never touching a toe.
Later in the day, he cut the corner off a $20 in his left pocket, not cutting the inner pocket touching his leg. He had the $20 framed behind his bar, it’s now behind our daughter’s bar.
I don’t remember if there was a lottery back then, but he won twice in one day.

I use a chainsaw a lot and after five years of still cutting downed timber -widow makers and leaners- on 30 acres in the Florida panhandle from hurricane Michael, boots should be last on your list.
Ansi rated composite toes will be lighter, but for me the most important safety piece would be chaps. they cover from your groin down to your ankle. brand new and never worn before, there a hassle but after wearing them a few times you forget there on. they can save you from bleeding out. long sleeves and leather gloves are good too, if you don't pay attention to chain tension, it can loosen to the point it derails and can slap your arm. good eye protection is a must too with errant chips and crap flying around.
be careful, the emergency rooms in my area were packed after hurricane Michael. I even had the forestry Department come out to help clear my fire breaks and one guy went to the hospital, they told me they sent two others there before they got to my place, fortunatelyy none of these injuries were chainsaw related, falling and timber related.
A timber company I've had at my place before told me he had sent three workers to the hospital.

Cutting a few logs for firewood out back is different than working in thick forest with downed trees everywhere. be careful!

Got a husqy saw myself, awesome saw. For boots I have surplus Belleville steel-toes, have a couple pair I picked up over the years dirt cheap and barely used from surplus shops. Great boots all-around, comfortable and last forever. And they dang sure work, saved my toes twice now when a log unexpectedly rolled on me, wouldn't cut wood without 'em.

Back