Great Eastern Cutlery: #66 - Equal End Serpentine

Blue Camel

IMG_20141116_121343_F.jpg

OH!

highfive.gif~original

o_O

~ P.

IMG_0518-X3.jpg

I've had this Oily Creek bone for a few months & it's one of my favorite stockmans. The snap on the secondary blades was really disappointing at first, but has gotten slightly better with use.

I think a lot of us were used to GEC putting out some nail breakers. Now that they have gotten the pull to a more normal level some think of it as a defect.
IMHO prefer a lighter pull on smaller blades as they are harder to get a good hold on where a large blade with more surface area will tolerate a strong pull.
That Oily Creek bone looks very good & the Cloud shield matches the style of the knife well.
Heres my 66 from the current run, wish they did not stop putting shields on stag but no negatives with the rest of the knife.
sKmgl9I.jpg

zAp8FdK.jpg

I think a lot of us were used to GEC putting out some nail breakers. Now that they have gotten the pull to a more normal level some think of it as a defect.
IMHO prefer a lighter pull on smaller blades as they are harder to get a good hold on where a large blade with more surface area will tolerate a strong pull.
That Oily Creek bone looks very good & the Cloud shield matches the style of the knife well.
Heres my 66 from the current run, wish they did not stop putting shields on stag but no negatives with the rest of the knife.
sKmgl9I.jpg

zAp8FdK.jpg

I love the stockman pattern & it's a great looking knife, but the spring for the secondary blades was weak to the point that the spey & sheepsfoot wouldn't snap closed & needed a push for them to seat the whole way. I really considered sending it back, but kept it anyway. I've seen a few other complaints here about the weak springs on the 66. Why is it that we'll, me included, accept something that I consider a defect from GEC, but we'd bitch up a storm if we paid half the price for maybe a Case with the same problem?

That's a good looking knife. If that's the one from the Exchange, I had been eyeballing it. Some nice looking ironwood on that one. Nice classic shield also. :thumbsup:

I love the stockman pattern & it's a great looking knife, but the spring for the secondary blades was weak to the point that the spey & sheepsfoot wouldn't snap closed & needed a push for them to seat the whole way. I really considered sending it back, but kept it anyway. I've seen a few other complaints here about the weak springs on the 66. Why is it that we'll, me included, accept something that I consider a defect from GEC, but we'd bitch up a storm if we paid half the price for maybe a Case with the same problem?

I'm not exactly sure, but it could have something to do with the psychology behind if we pay more for something we are paradoxically less inclined to admit we've made a mistake or complain about it - disappointment can do that. Think of costly cars that are unreliable or an expensive restaurant meal that's frankly poor, you feel shocked into silence-sometimes. (It's not happening because everybody else says it's so good...)

With GEC, it's becoming a bit of a cult and a bit of an untouchable in some peoples' eyes, impossible to do wrong. But I have to say I've found their QC to be clearly superior to competitor brands, I've never actually had a QC issue with any of their knives but I've had plenty I don't like or they've not suited me. CASE might be a whipping-boy because it's a mass producer and doesn't generally have the pretentions of GEC. I could be wrong though.....:D:rolleyes:

I'm not exactly sure, but it could have something to do with the psychology behind if we pay more for something we are paradoxically less inclined to admit we've made a mistake or complain about it - disappointment can do that. Think of costly cars that are unreliable or an expensive restaurant meal that's frankly poor, you feel shocked into silence-sometimes. (It's not happening because everybody else says it's so good...)

With GEC, it's becoming a bit of a cult and a bit of an untouchable in some peoples' eyes, impossible to do wrong. But I have to say I've found their QC to be clearly superior to competitor brands, I've never actually had a QC issue with any of their knives but I've had plenty I don't like or they've not suited me. CASE might be a whipping-boy because it's a mass producer and doesn't generally have the pretentions of GEC. I could be wrong though.....:D:rolleyes:
Very well said, especially with cars. What a terrible purchase I made on a new one.Never again. I needed couseling after that! Haha.

Back