Great Eastern Cutlery: #66 - Equal End Serpentine

The two jacks I carry and use. I have to admit I prefer the two blade models so the stockmen don't get used. That'll change now that I have the tortoise shell and the stag.
Just a quick question.. Do you notice any blade rub on your stockmen, between the coping and spey?

Got mine today too. How do you like it compared to your others?

As far as fit & finish are concerned, all 5 of my 66's from this run are exceptional. That's a pretty good batting average for GEC and I can't help but be impressed.

I think the Blood Red is my second favorite with the Antique Autumn being number one.

Very nice blue camel bone. I am glad I did not purchase this late in the game because if I did and saw this picture after I ordered, I would have been very disappointed. What is and what was left of the blue camel bone looked extremely disappointing. I am glad I decided not to pull the trigger on it. Having said that, yours is a very nice example, and if I saw one like that to pick from, I would have pulled the trigger immediately. I think the ones that were left should have been culled.
I did pick up an Ugly Stag. Ha ha. I am anxious to see how ugly it really is.
Thank you sir, was lucky to get a decent blue one...hope your stag comes out gnarly.:eek:

That is an awesome lineup of 66s! You did quite well with your choices on this run. Hard to pick out a favorite, but that ironwood looks really nice!
Thanks again Ratbert, GEC had some great options on this run....tough choice on favorite, I really like the overall "traditional" look/feel of the Dark Chestnut jig bone SFO.

Have to ask...which is your favorite????
It's tough choice but I love the traditional vibe of the Dark Chestnut Jig bone SMKW SFO....I'm also very partial to the Northfield trim with the "etchless" satin blades.

Got my stag 66 today. The covers are perfect and the nicest stag I have ever handled. The weak snap on the secondary blades kinda kills the knife for me though. I just don't get it. Doesn't seem like it would have been hard to make them snappy as every other knife I own from them has alligator snapping blades and that's what I am used to.

I think the Blood Red is my second favorite with the Antique Autumn being number one.

Interesting can you explain why you prefer that one?

I am not defending GEC but I have owned a lot of stockmans and many have had weak snap on the secondary spring. Try finding an old one that isn't weak. Also, if you have ever tried digging out the secondary blades on one with a too strong spring it is actually a chore, especially digging out the spey.

Thanks Charlie, love that "popcorn" stag in your photo on the right...I have to ask, any significance to the dice in your photo?
Sometimes I view my scan setup as kind of boring or repetitive, so I add something random for background. In this case I did "roll the dice", ordering unseen, and got lucky!:D
To be fair, all the Stag I have seen on the 66s appears decent!!:thumbsup:

vFs48dw.jpg
AxvMkYq.jpg
LM2Tto7.jpg

Like I said, I really like this stag! Just have to fidget with it and try to move past the weak springs. They do snap, just not with authority

Interesting can you explain why you prefer that one?

I am not defending GEC but I have owned a lot of stockmans and many have had weak snap on the secondary spring. Try finding an old one that isn't weak. Also, if you have ever tried digging out the secondary blades on one with a too strong spring it is actually a chore, especially digging out the spey.

Actually, it's a pretty close call between those two. It's hard to put my finger on it exactly but I prefer the Tidioute trim, the satin blades, the nail nick, and the corset shield on the Antique Autumn. I also like the color and jig pattern a little better than the Blood Red.

Regarding the springs, I agree for the most part. The ease of opening is rather refreshing despite the fact that I usually prefer a stronger pull as long as it isn't too strong. Older knives having weak snap is one of the main reasons that I think a new knife should have a bit more strength in the snap department. If it's already weak when it's new, it can't afford to get much worse as the knife ages with use.

Back