GSI Outdoors Mini Espresso Maker Review

The Warrior

๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ธโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฆโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ชโ€Œ ๐Ÿ‡ปโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฐโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฌโ€Œ
Got this little GSI backpacking espresso maker for my wife, as she is a coffee/espresso junkie, and thought I'd do a mini review on it.

Per the manufacturer:

The Mini-Expresso Maker works on the pressure principle. It is essential that these instructions are carefully
followed:
1) Prior to using your new Mini-Expresso Maker, wash all parts in hot soapy water.
FOR FIRST TIME USE! Follow general instructions but DO NOT ADD COFFEE. This will allow any metal filings,
debris or tastes to be flushed from the unit.
2) Fill the base with clean water up to the bottom of the safety valve.
3) Fill the filter funnel with freshly ground coffee. DO NOT pack the grounds down. Insert filter funnel into
base. The funnel has been designed as a correct measure, however, less coffee may be used for a weaker brew.
DO NOT use instant coffee!
4) Screw the top section firmly on the base and place on stove top at low heat.
5) Place cup under brass stem and within minutes your Expresso-Maker will deliver a flavorful cup of Europeanstyle
brew.

How it comes out of the box:

1.png

Apart:

2.png

Under the upper assembly:

3.png

Assembled:

4.png

In the field, using my Brunton Raptor stove:

5.png

The espresso maker's base was too small for the stove, so I found this drain cover. Note the tabs sticking up:

6.png

The espresso maker fit between the tabs like it was made for it. The drain cover also fit nicely on the stove:

7.png

After about 4 or 5 minutes, the espresso comes out:

8.png

Voila!

9.png

Perhaps not for everyone, but a neat little gadget none the less. My wife loves it.

BTW, in case anyone was wondering, the cup is an insulated stainless GSI Glacier espresso cup. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Very cool and thanks for the review\info. I will likely go for a unit like this, maybe even this one. I can go coffee or tea outdoors. I'm a coffee junkie for the morning though. :thumbup: Nice heads up thinking on the drain cover.

Been usin those for years, love em!! Best use for them for me is when I'm Turkey huntin. One cup and I'm up til noon and don't have to pee so much.:D

Thanks guys, appreciated.

Been taking one of these on motorcycle/camping trips for years. Solid little unit. Usually take one shot, then add another to the camp coffee to give it a little kick.

Warrior,

Excellent review brother! I'm a coffee junkie and this is a fantastic little piece of kit. Is this one the 1-cup or 4-cup version?

I'm getting ready to order one due to your review...:thumbup:

Thanks.

Nice review, Dubz! I may have to look for one of those, if not just to help convince certain people that there can be luxuries to be enjoyed while out in nature.

Been usin those for years, love em!! Best use for them for me is when I'm Turkey huntin. One cup and I'm up til noon and don't have to pee so much.:D

:D I didn't think about the pee factor. Going through multiple layers to a union suit isn't fun out there. A few years ago in the very early spring I found a silver fur trade broach with my metal detector in a river bank plowed field, during hard blowing rain\sleet. I had to go like my eye balls were floating ! I had long underwear, jogging pants and wind pants on. Somehow I managed to pi** all over myself. And I mean soaked. The last half mile I was walking side ways to the car because of the rural traffic driving by.
:D

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Riverwarrior, it's the one cup model. Smaller, lighter, and my wife is the only one that drinks coffee between the 2 of us.

Went for a hike today. The wife broke her espresso maker out. That's Sambuca in the flask:

148.png~original

150.png~original

154.png~original

love the reflections :)

seriously good review , not hardcore blood n guts survival gear till youre dealing with someone who hasnt had their coffee fix :) thenits essentials

best of luck to you , if it helps keep her happy and by your side , its worth having

Haha, thanks man. She loves it. All I have to do is mention hike, and she has her pack ready to go before I do. My wife loves the great outdoors. She likes knives too. Good wife.

Sambuca is a favorite backwoods sipper. And those things make great coffee, I just have to spend 30minutes every morning making enough to get me going. Good thing your lady is the only one drinking coffee!

Thanks for the review. I have looked at them before but never pulled the trigger. I just might now.

Sambuca is a favorite backwoods sipper. And those things make great coffee, I just have to spend 30minutes every morning making enough to get me going. Good thing your lady is the only one drinking coffee!
The wife and father in law love sambuca in their espresso. They drink it every time he comes over.

Thanks for the review. I have looked at them before but never pulled the trigger. I just might now.
You're welcome. If you're into espresso, I say go for it. Hell, I don't even drink the stuff, and still enjoy watching the process with this thing.

I can go without coffee when hiking or camping, and at the most, I'll take some packets of instant.

However, that drain strainer idea is the BOMB. Thanks! I'll be stopping at Home Depot tomorrow.

I can go without coffee when hiking or camping, and at the most, I'll take some packets of instant.

However, that drain strainer idea is the BOMB. Thanks! I'll be stopping at Home Depot tomorrow.
It's just fun for my wife, more so than actually needing it. The drain works like a charm. ;)

Bringing this up from the stoneage of the forums.... but history is important!

That must be the coolest coffee making gear I've ever seen.
I'd spend my euro's for a cup of espresso from that machine!

Back