GSI Outdoors Mini Espresso Maker Review

Got this little GSI backpacking espresso maker for my wife, as she is a coffee/espresso junkie, and thought I'd do a mini review on it.

Per the manufacturer:

The Mini-Expresso Maker works on the pressure principle. It is essential that these instructions are carefully
followed:
1) Prior to using your new Mini-Expresso Maker, wash all parts in hot soapy water.
FOR FIRST TIME USE! Follow general instructions but DO NOT ADD COFFEE. This will allow any metal filings,
debris or tastes to be flushed from the unit.
2) Fill the base with clean water up to the bottom of the safety valve.
3) Fill the filter funnel with freshly ground coffee. DO NOT pack the grounds down. Insert filter funnel into
base. The funnel has been designed as a correct measure, however, less coffee may be used for a weaker brew.
DO NOT use instant coffee!
4) Screw the top section firmly on the base and place on stove top at low heat.
5) Place cup under brass stem and within minutes your Expresso-Maker will deliver a flavorful cup of Europeanstyle
brew.

How it comes out of the box:

1.png

Apart:

2.png

Under the upper assembly:

3.png

Assembled:

4.png

In the field, using my Brunton Raptor stove:

5.png

The espresso maker's base was too small for the stove, so I found this drain cover. Note the tabs sticking up:

6.png

The espresso maker fit between the tabs like it was made for it. The drain cover also fit nicely on the stove:

7.png

After about 4 or 5 minutes, the espresso comes out:

8.png

Voila!

9.png

Perhaps not for everyone, but a neat little gadget none the less. My wife loves it.

BTW, in case anyone was wondering, the cup is an insulated stainless GSI Glacier espresso cup. Thanks for looking.
That's fricken the coolest setup I've ever seen!

This review is great, and the espresso maker looks to be top notch. It just tickled my funny bone to see a review about a mini espresso maker by a guy called "The Warrior"

This review is great, and the espresso maker looks to be top notch. It just tickled my funny bone to see a review about a mini espresso maker by a guy called "The Warrior"
Haha. :D

Looks like a cool little setup. I gotta have coffee as well.

Your wife aughtta research & practice making Turkish style espresso, in case she doesn't have this GSI maker along. You only need a metal cup/pot/ladle to make good coffee via that method.

Wife still uses, and loves this thing.

Back