Handgun Carry in the Woods?

This is my preferred woods carry. Ruger MkII in cross draw rig. Not too many dangerous animals to worry about where I live. The cross draw is extremely comfortable while sitting which is very important to me.
IMG_4676_zpsudyiqqty.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have a Kahr CW9 in a IWB holster for concealment if necessary.

see, i like this setup. what i mean is that i find it handy to have a separate belt with your carry rig on it. strap it on and go. i learned this from an outfitter in Ohio. he also had his bowie on it. with that said, i say i like the idea. i haven't actually started doing it. but, i will this year. in the past, i have just carried a (mostly) ruger single six on a belt holster. i will do the same, but have it as a grab-and-go option. know what i mean? good thread.

The Ruger Mark II is a very good woods gun and plenty for most things. Fun too. I bought one years ago to replace my HS Victor as my woods gun.

I bought a S&W sold Simply Rugged holster for my 5" Model 63 back before the introduction of the current 3" M63 for general outdoor/woods carry and the holster was so tight taking it off and on that I just added a gun belt for that rig like above (strap it on and go). Nice 5" holsters were hard to find and generally still are.

Usually if I am in the woods I have a long gun of some type. If I am scouting my turkey or duck hunting spots I usually have my G 19 ( which is also my duty weapon) . I recently bought a 10/22 Take down model that is looking like it will spend a lot of time with me in the woods.

Just got this for my birthday. G-Code RTI mule drop leg for my XST holster.
IMG_7184_zps3w2ygmzx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Can wear holster on belt only also, crappy pics
IMG_7182_zpsubpjllcq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I carry a small Maxpedition Versipack which has an accessible pouch designed for a gun. Typically, I carry a 9MM CZ PCR, and I also carry other stuff like a water bottle, small first aid kit, and fire starting material. If I don't happen to take that, I just strap on a holster designed for my Ruger MKII, and carry either my MK II 5.5 bull barrel, or MKII era 22/45 4 inch bull barrel. More often than not it is the 22/45 because it is lighter. I like a .22 pistol for woods carry.

Noticed today that Ruger is coming out with the LCRx in 22LR (3"). Fugly gun, but would be quite handy in the woods. I thought I was done buying 22's.

I've always wanted a bull barrel 22/45, but it's one I just never got around to getting.

^^^ That is very nice. :thumbsup:

Do you have any problem with that high carry digging into the ribs?

No sir not any at all. In fact much prefer it to lower particularly working horseback. I'm able to do all my ranchwork whether horseback or on foot, in the truck whatever without it getting in the way. Thanks.

I carry a .45acp Government-sized in town or in the woods.

In the woods, it gets a thumb break holster that fully encloses the slide. In town it gets an open top holster.

I also upgrade to a fixed-blade knife in the woods.

There's just more possibility of needing either a knife or gun in the woods.

However, the uses vary more widely in the woods and I do generally change out the hollowpoint loads in the pistol to either a 200grn SWC or 230grn truncated cone, both cast lead.

Regards,

Josh

Concealed in woods but OWB covered with shirt. IWB in town. In woods it's usually Ruger SP101 3" or Kimber compact. Both in Simply Rugged leather.

When I was in Alaska I carried a Freedom Arms .475 Linebaugh with a 4.75" in a cross draw holster made by Mernickle Holsters. Sadly not much need for a gun like that where I am now so it sits in the safe. My wife carried a Customized Ruger Black Hawk Bisley in .45 LC in the same configuration....it too doesn't see much use these days.

Cross draw was way more comfortable riding around on an ATV or snow machine.

Now that there aren't any large predators of the 4 legged kind I usually take a Ruger single six or a Browning Buckmark. I have plenty of pistols to choose from if I wanted to take one with me, but a .22 is practical and I never met a bad guy that wanted to be shot by one. They both ride in OWB holsters...depending on the activity they can change from stron side to cross draw.

see, i like this setup. what i mean is that i find it handy to have a separate belt with your carry rig on it. strap it on and go. i learned this from an outfitter in Ohio. he also had his bowie on it. with that said, i say i like the idea. i haven't actually started doing it. but, i will this year. in the past, i have just carried a (mostly) ruger single six on a belt holster. i will do the same, but have it as a grab-and-go option. know what i mean? good thread.

This set up your referring to is pretty common in the military. I personally run my sidearm like this. The belt that holds up my pants is Velcro with a very small buckle. On the outer belt that can be easily removed I run my pistol, 2 pistol mags, 2 m4 mags, a small fixed blade, an ifak, and a dump pouch. Wake up in the morning put you pants on and grab the belt as you move out the door... If you need to downgrade it's a simple as taking the belt off.

If you go to the link below you will see the inner and outer belt setup I'm talking about. The Velcro keeps the belt from sliding around so your pistol is always where it's supposed to be when you need it.

https://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/contact-series-operators-belt-175/

This little .357 is nice in a pancake or in a pocket holster. Its light, packs a good punch and is accurate enough.

RuNqITn.jpg

yv77K.jpg

yv77K.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_3002.jpg IMG_3003.jpg I usually carry an 8 shot S&W .22 kit gun with a 3" barrel in the woods. We do not have any Zombies in our woods yet. This Aluminum gun is very light (12oz.), has a round butt (can use a laser grip), and solves the problems of the 4" SS kit gun (square butt, 25oz., no laser grip, 6 shot, etc.).

After a friends pup was attached by another guys unleashed dog who's owner was a real PoS, I've taken to throwing my .22 pistol in my pack for in state hikes. Recently decided to CCW again and this'll be far lighter on the back too and in .38+p. Wish more states in the North East got into reciprocity but that's another discussion.

Attachments

• IMG_4670.JPG
    IMG_4670.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 16
I front pocket carry a Glock 27 in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster anytime I am out of the house. I carry it so much that I don't even notice it.

If you are not concerned about animals or people, a pellet pistol will provide all of the fun of a 22 rimfire. I like the Webley Tempest for woods plinking.

David Enoch

Back