Has anyone done heavy duty comparisons of OTFs

How much blade wobble, how much force to break the lock, after calibrated abuse how much worse is the knife, destruction testing, etc...

Just curious to see how they rank against one another as this is a category of knife I don't own any yet, but am curious about how well they function.

Just my own personal , prejudiced , no experience , opinion : OTF are for cool /fidget bling . Hollywood and video games .

Not something I'd want for anything serious/ hard use .

There is a OTF sub forum here . Some there probably would disagree . šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

There's plenty of destruction testing on YouTube. In my experience, OTFs are plenty durable and do fine with anything I've thrown at them. I'm more careful to clean the blade if I cut something sticky, but that's about it. The main drawback for me is that many of them aren't really designed to cut very well. The Kershaw Livewire and Benchmade Shootout are notable exceptions to that rule and they're both great.

Back in the day someone drove a Sand Shark though the side of an oil drum? Thatā€™s about all Iā€™ve seen on it. Mine all hold up just fine. Like a gun, you gotta clean it when itā€™s full of junk, and youā€™ll be fine.

There's a plenty of Microtech OTF hard use tests, granted they're done by an employee, but it's not like he pulled any punches. As others have mentioned dirt and grime is their worst enemy, otherwise they're surprisingly durable.

To be fair, I'd say the same thing about any folding knife. If you want to hard use a knife, just get a fixed blade.
Of course ! ;)

But if it has to be a folder , I'd choose one of the sturdier Cold Steel Tri-ad lock models . Those, I've tested and trust . :cool:

Just my own personal , prejudiced , no experience , opinion : OTF are for cool /fidget bling . Hollywood and video games .

There is a OTF sub forum here . Some there probably would disagree . šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
So your opinion I based on no experience? Thanks for sharingšŸ™„

So your opinion I based on no experience? Thanks for sharingšŸ™„
You are very welcome ! :p

At least I try to make clear , when I'm making a judgment, not based on personal experience . Not everyone does . šŸ˜’

If you'd like to send me an OTF to test in hard use ....? :)

A taiwanese knife selling company has a channel on youtube in which they abused the Shootout in all kind of unrealistic way, and ended with a disassembly. Their conclusions were very positive.

[Edit] Link to the video :

A taiwanese knife selling company has a channel on youtube in which they abused the Shootout in all kind of unrealistic way, and ended with a disassembly. Their conclusions were very positive.

That was very impressive! As soon as the drop point version is available I'm getting one!

Last edited:

Now I kinda want one ...

Assuming that video is really done , all using one knife and nothing faked ...yeah , pretty impressive ! :cool: :thumbsup:

Just throwing any knife , into a solid wood target, is very hard on the whole knife . I've broken many that way .

Last edited:

I agree with this.

I don t even like flipper only knives. For a daily use knife, I want a controlled opening.

Last edited:
I agree with this.

I don t even like flipper only knives. For a daily use knife, I want a controlled opening.
What does ā€œcontrolled openingā€ mean? I have total control of the opening of any of my Microtechs. Are you talking about accidental opening of an OTF knife? I have never experienced that - have you? I have never experienced a knife that exhibited ā€œuncontrolledā€ opening- that would be scaryšŸ˜³

Last edited:
a knife that exhibited ā€œuncontrolledā€ opening-
Never had the problem personally , but some regular side opening AO folders used to come with a secondary lock , to prevent accidental opening . šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

So . I assume the manufacturer thought there could be problem .

Yeah, both my Benchmade Barrage and Emissary have"secondary locks" that act as a safety device that lock the blades open as well as closed. Never felt a need for that. But, we are discussing OTF knives here and I have never seen that feature(or the need for it) in an OTF.

Back