Has anyone done heavy duty comparisons of OTFs

Never had the problem personally , but some regular side opening AO folders used to come with a secondary lock , to prevent accidental opening . šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

So . I assume the manufacturer thought there could be problem .
The lawyers thought it "could be" a problem.

Side opening autos with a button lock can and do open accidentally. Thatā€™s why Benchmade invented the locking mechanism. It has nothing to do with lawyers.

Side opening autos with a button lock can and do open accidentally. Thatā€™s why Benchmade invented the locking mechanism. It has nothing to do with lawyers.
I'm not sure they invented it. rather put a patent on it and went after other manufacturers. George Schrade I believe invented the side opener safety and used it in his designs over 100 years ago.

What does ā€œcontrolled openingā€ mean? I have total control of the opening of any of my Microtechs. Are you talking about accidental opening of an OTF knife? I have never experienced that - have you? I have never experienced a knife that exhibited ā€œuncontrolledā€ opening- that would be scaryšŸ˜³
Maybe controlled opening is quite the right wording.

I don t like any automatic opening pocket knives. And I don like assisted openers. I don t even like flippers. Sometimes I like the option to open a folder slowly. Particularly in situations where someone might pay too much attention to my knife.

I don t fidget with knives. Or screwdrivers. Or any tool. I don t fidget with anything.

Never had the problem personally , but some regular side opening AO folders used to come with a secondary lock , to prevent accidental opening . šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

So . I assume the manufacturer thought there could be problem .
The Kershaw Leek still does. This problem is easily prevented with proper carry placement. Tip-up, carry at the rear seam of the front pocket. Tip-down, carry at the front seam of the front pocket. In this manner, the hand cannot come in contact with the blade when reaching into the pocket, and the pocket liner itself helps hold the blade closed.

OTFā€™s are specially designed tools; built for a quick, discrete, one handed tactical response. If you are looking for something else, then there may be a better tool for the job.

Back