• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Has Great Eastern Cutlery peaked in popularity?

Haha, I was gonna tell you to periodically dig through the exchange. Sometimes there’s some good deals found floating around on pages 3-6.

The Remington bullet knives from last year are a very nice representation of an old pattern done right and seem to pop up often for retail or lower.
thanks for the heads up I might just do that

Haha, I was gonna tell you to periodically dig through the exchange. Sometimes there’s some good deals found floating around on pages 3-6.

The Remington bullet knives from last year are a very nice representation of an old pattern done right and seem to pop up often for retail or lower.

still sitting on dealers sites too

Yeah the new 25 beerlows went very quick on the CK reserve. Glad I was speedy and right place, right time. 6 cover options even. Also, the new Remington knife is now sold out. I jumped right on one of those too. These were gone after a few days at $200 apiece, 1000 piece run. This train does not appear to be slowing. Matter of fact, if Northwoods or top end Northfield varieties get any harder to come by I might plan a train robbery lol.

was surprised to see the remingtons sit that long, i believe they may still be available. id want one but not at that price. if it was maybe $150, i might have jumped, but overall its an impractical knife for my needs. my opinion on the 25s has been shared quite abundantly, so i will not beat a dead horse

if we all stopped paying over msrp for these, the scalp trade would die pretty quickly...

I for one have never fed the scalpers, whether it's gec's or concert tickets - it's a hard no from myself & will always be
people need to train some discipline into their grey matter

the problem is the fomo is real. so you have guys who snatch em up only just to let em back after getting them in hand. meanwhile the people who are busy at work or have something better to do end up having to pay a premium even if its shipping or a little more. there are some who try to grab more to extort trades for "older gecs" which is another issue. Along with the folks who have deep pockets and arent afraid to shell out the extra dough. These factors deprive normal folks with regular internet a fair chance along with the increased prices. For my part, im glad they release knives i dont care for and I have slowly approached the point of if i miss it, i missed it.

if we all stopped paying over msrp for these, the scalp trade would die pretty quickly...

I for one have never fed the scalpers, whether it's gec's or concert tickets - it's a hard no from myself & will always be
people need to train some discipline into their grey matter

Agree 100%.

Folks can wax philosophic about "what the market can bear," but at the end of the day -- we make the market with our purchasing decisions.

Discipline is tough for me. I understand the struggle. I do just what I need to in order to be able to look myself in the mirror in the morning, which includes not feeding the scalpers.

For me, not having a knife I'd like is a small price to pay to avoid contributing to an unsustainable and predatory mechanism in the community.

And remember, the joy of desiring is in not having.

I said it before, members were pushing/asking dealers for a few years to increase their prices, so that people buying just to resell or "catch and release" would be discouraged, as there would be a smaller profit margin and higher initial cost.

So, many dealers are now asking for more money, the availability is not there and the secondary market is just more expensive.

Also, when people are trying to complete the cover sets and even buying more than one from each cover type by registering for all the dealers notifications, it is not easy for everyone to get a GEC, especially the popular models (even the "unpopular" ones like the Beerlow, that if you had read some of the posts you would have assumed that they would have stayed unsold for years). :)

I said it before, members were pushing/asking dealers for a few years to increase their prices, so that people buying just to resell or "catch and release" would be discouraged, as there would be a smaller profit margin and higher initial cost.

So, many dealers are now asking for more money, the availability is not there and the secondary market is just more expensive.

Also, when people are trying to complete the cover sets and even buying more than one from each cover type by registering for all the dealers notifications, it is not easy for everyone to get a GEC, especially the popular models (even the "unpopular" ones like the Beerlow, that if you had read some of the posts you would have assumed that they would have stayed unsold for years). :)
The math on that always puzzled me.

If flippers are buying $100 dollar knives to sell at $200 then increasing the original price to $200 won't scare them off.

They'll just buy them and flip them for $400.

even the "unpopular" ones like the Beerlow, that if you had read some of the posts you would have assumed that they would have stayed unsold for years
However if you had read all of the post you would know that it is six short runs. Dealers will get less than 10 knives per cover. Drops will be short. A few vocal naysayers certainly is not a good market survey, especially when the puppet master knows when to cut supply just a bit to fomo demand.

In my opinion this whole thread is nonsense, wanting to make a call on the popularity based of one or two runs? The next two runs are small or super popular patterns and then the "hot" take is that GEC popular again? "The Remington barlow took 2.5 days to sell out! Barlows aren't popular anymore! "

The economy is headed towards a recession it would seam, disposable income will play more of a factor in sales than anything else.

However if you had read all of the post you would know that it is six short runs. Dealers will get less than 10 knives per cover. Drops will be short. A few vocal naysayers certainly is not a good market survey, especially when the puppet master knows when to cut supply just a bit to fomo demand.

In my opinion this whole thread is nonsense, wanting to make a call on the popularity based of one or two runs? The next two runs are small or super popular patterns and then the "hot" take is that GEC popular again? "The Remington barlow took 2.5 days to sell out! Barlows aren't popular anymore! "

The economy is headed towards a recession it would seam, disposable income will play more of a factor in sales than anything else.

How do you know I have not read all the post (s)?

People post lots of things, nobody has to read and reply to all.

Back