• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Has Great Eastern Cutlery peaked in popularity?

If GEC knives were not so coveted and we could pick up any model at any time, they would not be worth what they are. GEC is not the only company to sell out their stock each run. Try getting some EDC gear from Playge, Wyste, Scoopyloops, Yoshizaki, PNW Toast, NGMCo and Wiscoworx. They sell out in seconds. Matter of fact, one of the main reasons I land drops on other sites is because of all the practice I’ve had acquiring GEC and Northwoods the past several years. Join a private FB group if you can’t land them on drops. Meet some friends. Thats where the deals are…

Join a private FB group if you can’t land them on drops.
<<Shows up to a community, recommends another community.>>

My humble recommendation is to just hang out and make some friends, here.
I was gifted one out of the kindness of Centermass Centermass 's heart.
I like to imagine it's because he think's I'm hilarious.

All I’m saying is that they require real effort to acquire. The search for these goodies is half the fun. Yes it can be frustrating at times. Yes, you will need to utilize the secondary market at times. People can be rude on these forums. I am explaining how to get ahold of these darn knives for those that struggle!!!!

<<Shows up to a community, recommends another community.>>

My humble recommendation is to just hang out and make some friends, here.
I was gifted one out of the kindness of Centermass Centermass 's heart.
I like to imagine it's because he think's I'm hilarious.
You’re kinda ok-ish I guess.

All I’m saying is that they require real effort to acquire. The search for these goodies is half the fun. Yes it can be frustrating at times. Yes, you will need to utilize the secondary market at times. People can be rude on these forums. I am explaining how to get ahold of these darn knives for those that struggle!!!!

Personally, I don't have any problem with what you're suggesting. In fact, I would wager that most folks who are highly successful at landing GEC releases are plugged into a "plethora" of social media resources. Though I would encourage folks to remain here and contribute positively to the community like EngrSorenson EngrSorenson is suggesting, the reality is that for hot "EDC" items, one has to be in tune with all the various outlets.

Contrary to your point about fun, the fun stopped for me when it became more arduous than it was worth trying to land knives from the same outlets I have used in the past. With that said though, I am rather content. I had an excellent run while my resources were still accessible and as a result, I was able to build up a nice collection.

I will still get one every now and then as opportunity allows but I have to say, removing sources of FOMO from my life has been... well... REALLY good.

I will still get one every now and then as opportunity allows but I have to say, removing sources of FOMO from my life has been... well... REALLY good.

We always have the forum knife to look forward to.

If GEC knives were not so coveted and we could pick up any model at any time, they would not be worth what they are. GEC is not the only company to sell out their stock each run. Try getting some EDC gear from Playge, Wyste, Scoopyloops, Yoshizaki, PNW Toast, NGMCo and Wiscoworx. They sell out in seconds. Matter of fact, one of the main reasons I land drops on other sites is because of all the practice I’ve had acquiring GEC and Northwoods the past several years. Join a private FB group if you can’t land them on drops. Meet some friends. Thats where the deals are…
Well yes, I suppose if GECs were easier to buy, fewer folks would grab them up to flip.
Personally, I don't have any problem with what you're suggesting. In fact, I would wager that most folks who are highly successful at landing GEC releases are plugged into a "plethora" of social media resources. Though I would encourage folks to remain here and contribute positively to the community like EngrSorenson EngrSorenson is suggesting, the reality is that for hot "EDC" items, one has to be in tune with all the various outlets.

Contrary to your point about fun, the fun stopped for me when it became more arduous than it was worth trying to land knives from the same outlets I have used in the past. With that said though, I am rather content. I had an excellent run while my resources were still accessible and as a result, I was able to build up a nice collection.

Yep.

I’ve never owned a GEC, although I would love to. I have never had the opportunity to purchase one online, or in person for that matter. I personally don’t feel like “the chase” for a knife is part of the acquisition process. It would seem to me that making new (and old) varieties made by GEC or any maker for that matter available is key to the success of a company. Traditional patterns and variations of said patterns will probably never go out of style. So, to say they are teetering on fizzing out in popularity is a stretch. The prices asked and paid are a bit steep for anyone, unless you have disposable income due to retirement or inheritance, etc. I don’t believe non-custom knives should be so difficult to acquire that it is or becomes discouraging. With all that said, pricing and availability of GEC will only become harder and more expensive as long as the current trend stays the same. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I don't believe that gec has lost its luster,It has just become to expensive for those that don't have a direct line to dealer drops,it has become quite evident that the people who have access to the drops can buy,appreciate and use gec,they also can flip one or two to another gec user at a 80% increase the same week of purchase.the first 4 gec I bought I put to use right away,upon wanting to try other patterns and cover material it became harder to justify use at the price I was paying. Fortunately there are people who turn around and sell a knife for what they paid,but finding that deal is almost impossible unless you have an extensive network of friends.i still rember having bought and used a bunch of case knives,it was then suggested to me for $40.00 more I could get a gec with that little extra quality control.so I took the advice and looked into gec and the rest is history,what that person didn't mention was that the $40.00 increase for gec was based on the premise that you have access to dealer prices,not reality.

My guess is COVID money has evaporated, secondary market price correction as a result. And popularity correction to pre-COVID levels too.

Popularity varies across patterns. 15, 47, barlows, many single-blade patterns, etc. still challenging to find.

I am the thread starter and so after almost 2 years it seems obvious that GEC has not peaked in popularity.

When I made the post GEC had just produced 89s, 49/94s, and 36s. All these patterns are of modest popularity (though I like my 49/94s a lot), compared to 15s, 86s, etc. (will we ever see a 77 again?)

I think GEC has become even more popular, but some patterns are just more popular than others.

I used to try for all the covers on a pattern I liked, but that is no longer possible. Now I feel lucky to get one or two covers on the patterns I like.

I am happy for GEC, and I have become a more discerning collector because I have to choose one of many each run.

I miss the days of selecting my stag knife individually via pictures from a dealer’s website, and I miss the days of tons of SFO’s, but GEC is still making the best production pocket knife and they have not lost a step.

2024 looks like another great year for GEC fans.

Back