• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Has Great Eastern Cutlery peaked in popularity?

I personally enjoy the chase aspect of GEC. When it’s a bit challenging to get ahold of it makes it fun. I, as vast majority of folks on here Im sure, collect knives. If all I cared about was a knife to use then I certainly wouldn’t have the amount I do. I’d be fine with one pocket knife. I collect them however so it is a game of sorts and the chasing hard to get knives is fun.

Thank you. But seriously I have moved on. I still wear my monsterdogs and I am good.👍😎
I have the Fluro Pack version! The shoes blew out years ago but the glasses still are going strong. My toxic trait is get that fringe stuff but use it every day break it.

I have the Fluro Pack version! The shoes blew out years ago but the glasses still are going strong. My toxic trait is get that fringe stuff but use it every day break it.

LOL Seriously. I have two or three pairs of old Oakley shoes, some pants, a few other clothing items in my closet. Man, good times.

LOL Seriously. I have two or three pairs of old Oakley shoes, some pants, a few other clothing items in my closet. Man, good times.
Yeah there are definitely some points of convergence if you start profiling people here.

Rootbeer with gold iridium. My go to.

My favorite two pairs of Oakleys are my Ferrari TwoFaces, and my Shaun White Holbrooks, and they're in white with the Gold Iridium, so they're basically Astronaut sunglasses. Love those.

Or people could just decide the juice aint worth the squeeze and move on. There's pretty much nothing I want bad enough to keep competing in a frustrating, and mostly losing, game to get. I gave up on any purchases that require me to sit by a computer or telephone and wait for a "drop" a long time ago. I have better things to do. This is a hobby and should be fun, no one needs a GEC. If you actually need a knife, one that can do the job as easily, if not better, and much cheaper, can be had at nearly anytime, 24/7, by clicking a button or, heaven forbid, walking into your local store.

I'm pretty much in the same frame of mind ; ) but I still admire a nice gec

Back to the original spirit of this thread, GEC hasn’t peaked because the internet is still a thing. People like to show off their stuff and more people see them and want one. Then GEC makes a new release and lots of people try to get in on it lest they miss out, or with the idea that if they score 1-2 at MSRP they can trade them for the knives they really want, down the road.

I personally am a fan of GEC because they are nice quality (imho somewhat better these days than the vaunted early days) and made in the USA in the traditional fashion by real people, etc. I like some of their patterns. At this point I’ve been buying their knives since 2015, I bought what appealed to me and what I could afford. I have most of what I’ve wanted. I don’t even try to buy one from a dealer any longer, I just buy from a flipper and pay an extra $30 or whatever, if they release something I really think I’d like. I bought one of most of their 2020 releases, and a few 2021, and didn’t buy a single knife in 2022 except a fixed blade from another company.

id like to think the increase in prices seems to have slowed some folks down, but the 87s are looking like they move

GEC’s most certainly have not peaked in popularity. I haven’t bought one in a while because all the recent releases just aren’t my taste but they all still sellout in a handful of minutes…. Wait until there’s a popular pattern again, it’s going to be a frenzy!

When I joined the circus that is obtaining GEC’s in late 2019 every run was already selling out in minutes. I see folks who have been collecting a lot longer than that complaining about that and the secondary market. Well that’s been what I and many others have had to deal with throughout our entire duration of GEC collecting so it’s nothing new to me nor anything that will deter me from trying for something I really want because the knives are just that good and timeless.

I have more than enough knives to satisfy me for a lifetime now so the chase has become part of the fun for me.

I don’t think GEC has peaked, BUT it will be interesting to see how the competition plays out as GEC prices go up at the dealer level. German made Bokers IMO are the closest (production) competition in quality but historically they were quite a bit more expensive. That gap has shrunk, and I find myself eyeing Bokers pretty regularly. They’re actually available too which is a bonus. But the unique and varied models of GEC always brings me back.

Never even got off the launch pad with me. I don't buy into the feeding frenzy of made up collectibles...

I don’t think GEC has peaked, BUT it will be interesting to see how the competition plays out as GEC prices go up at the dealer level. German made Bokers IMO are the closest (production) competition in quality but historically they were quite a bit more expensive. That gap has shrunk, and I find myself eyeing Bokers pretty regularly. They’re actually available too which is a bonus. But the unique and varied models of GEC always brings me back.
The cost difference in the camel bone between dealers is going to be $50-$60 dollars. It is an interesting market to watch.

The cost difference in the camel bone between dealers is going to be $50-$60 dollars. It is an interesting market to watch.
I would love to know the production numbers on the camel bone. That would go a ways, for me anyway, to determining whether or not the price tag is "worth it".

The overall eye appeal of the scales also plays a huge factor here. Do I get to cherry pick? Probably worth it to get a very nice one.

Probably not a problem I have to worry about, haha, but as you said, a fun market to watch.

GSJ put one out for 340, I saw. No takers yet.

id like to think the increase in prices seems to have slowed some folks down, but the 87s are looking like they move

Most every GEC pattern sells out (excluding the overpriced key chain part knives). It's the FOMO folks have. Just look at the exchange, give it 3 weeks to a month and a number of them dump the previous release as soon as dealers receive the latest pattern and they're experiencing FOMO all over again.

No demand these days.

No demand these days.

🤣 🤣

Say, fellow GEC enthusiasts, could one of you kindly fill me in on the drop price of the DLT Mammoth 54? That thing just snuck right by me.

I appreciate your admission that Kickstarter has risks, and is certainly no less risky than other methodologies despite your earlier assertion. Seriously, real talk, post less, go do some research on GEC and how they operate, and when you come back, I'll make room for you on my side of this. If you realized how hilarious it was to insinuate that maybe GEC should start a Kickstarter.....
He didnt say that. Your reading comprehension is a bit lacking

He didnt say that. Your reading comprehension is a bit lacking
I don't even have to see the post in question to know my reading comprehension is demonstrably better than yours. Maybe try not bringing up a thread from a year ago if you're trying to get my attention, hm? Thanks.

P.S. The dude you're attempting to defend (for some reason) got banned. He won't be able to applaud you, unfortunately.

Back