Hawaii Knife Life - daily use for work and play

Tonma pruning shears.

They are inexpensive, and while not as well made as professional models, for my purposes (I have to buy many each year) the value is there.

Try to only use the one with a traditional coil spring (they come with a spare). The other spring options do not last.

Have you tried ARS pruners? I have pruners from Corona, Hickock, Felco, Bahco, and ARS, and I like the ARS best. I wonder how Tonma would compare to ARS. I do a lot of pruning, and it doesn't take long to separate the men from the boys. Last Monday I spent six hours of non-stop pruning.

Have you tried ARS pruners? I have pruners from Corona, Hickock, Felco, Bahco, and ARS, and I like the ARS best. I wonder how Tonma would compare to ARS. I do a lot of pruning, and it doesn't take long to separate the men from the boys. Last Monday I spent six hours of non-stop pruning.
Yes, they are also very good.Quality is about the same, with the only subjective difference being safety placement.

The nature of our use is to unlock, make a cut, lock, place back in holster....thousands of times. Having a safety that's a bit easier to manipulate is probably more important to this operation than a user who is focused on pruning primarily.

Great suggestion though! Those are also high quality value clippers!

Had a big storm roll through last night. Cruising around the farm looking at what was knocked down or flooded.
21B5A124-ACB1-4F59-B86D-F1C9481BD942.jpegBBA8E59E-A8B3-4650-8B01-82ECC8F9C37A.jpegC23FB4E4-23ED-44BE-A027-EC3A712CD399.jpeg
This Gopher Snake (thanks cj65 cj65 for the help IDing) was found in a bag of potting soil.

We don't have snakes here, and actively try to keep them out, as they will damage native bird poplulations.

This one was picked up by the USDA for investigation.
AAB6B7F1-A6C9-4543-879F-A18D9D1B506E.jpeg

Had a big storm roll through last night. Cruising around the farm looking at what was knocked down or flooded.
View attachment 2451296View attachment 2451294View attachment 2451301
This Gopher Snake (thanks cj65 cj65 for the help IDing) was found in a bag of potting soil.

We don't have snakes here, and actively try to keep them out, as they will damage native bird poplulations.

This one was picked up by the USDA for investigation.
View attachment 2451299
the ol' herp master helps again...

the potting soil bag was sealed and snake was in there? as in got imported to the island somehow...?

Not sure, if I find out I'll share here.

I imagine it's in the hands of APHIS.
Thx. Just curious.
Iā€™d imagine it lives happily ever after in a magnificent snake garden. With clouds and rainbows, and all the rodents, rabbits, lizards, birds, and, occasionally, other snakes, usually locating prey with their sense of smell one could ever desire.
I has a warm fuzzy now.
Usually all invasive species are destroyed.....because they destroy an ecosystem......

Hawaii has been decimated by rats, mice, frogs, chameleons and the list goes on...

As always though the first really invasive species was MAN....

As always, I love seeing your posts and comments!!šŸ‘
I get it. As it needs to be. I havenā€™t come to grips with what I do when I find a boa in the Everglades. I have a guy in NC who will want it, so I didnā€™t have to dispatch, but I would if I had to.

Iā€™d imagine it lives happily ever after in a magnificent snake garden. With clouds and rainbows, and all the rodents, rabbits, lizards, birds, and, occasionally, other snakes, usually locating prey with their sense of smell one could ever desire.
South on the 27 is a ā€œGatorland!ā€ Hee haw place that has exotic reptiles as well as native species. Smells horrific because they have too many gators swimming in a small pond pretty much a toilet. I like how they do education so people understand, but still dont like seeing wild animals confined in horrible conditions. I was wondering if Hawaii has a similar zoo type place to exhibit non native species with education on why misplaced animals can wreak havoc on fragile ecosystems.

Using the Voyager for cutting out off-types. Cut about 700 plants, and did fine.

Tiny bit of spot stains, but the edge is still decent. Stropping should be enough to bring the edge back to poppin'.
IMG_9291.jpegIMG_9292.jpeg
A handy design feature is the ability to move back on the handle and snap cut.
IMG_9294.jpeg
After a long day at work...enjoying some octopus on the grill.
IMG_9296.jpeg

Back