Help Me Pick the Next Fell Beast Steel: Z Tuff Vs. 52100

Which Steel do you want?

• Z Tuff 61+ RC $549

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • 52100 with DHT $399

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
My CNC guy just sent me this. First prototype bevel done. WOW that is a thing of beauty. We will be making some adjustments but these are looking really good overall.

J5U3L9K.jpeg

Maybe I’m seeing a jig it’s on or something? It looks like it’s 1/4” thick? Ever made one that thick?

Maybe I’m seeing a jig it’s on or something? It looks like it’s 1/4” thick? Ever made one that thick?

You might be seeing the fixture underneath the blade. I can def see how this thing could look super thick! I've never made one thicker than .170ish stock. Even at that thickness they are prohibitively heavy. Going up to .25 thick it would need pretty much a full height grind to get the weight and geometry right. At that point, this thing would probably be more of a mega chopper/ baseball bat than a machete, but it would for sure smash stuff!!

One of these blanks weighs about 28 ounces or so before milling. A .25in blank would weight a whopping 56 ounces. Thats like a big gulp 😄 😄

Found the one I made that was 3/16th stock based on my bolo machete. It weighed 38.8 ounces. Yikes.

6a357AG.jpg

Last edited:
I still have a selection of Huntsman machetes (12”, 18”, and the 16” lite machete) as well as a variety of dedicated choppers, so not in the market for a new Fell Beast.

I’m interested to see the direction the Tyrant Bowie goes, though. If it looks like it will be a nimble blade, rather than just an out&out chopper, then would be tempting as a first knife in Z-Tuff.

Back