Hog Hunting with knives

Sounds cool to me, Josh. :thumbup:

Dave - want a crack at the sheath?

Dave,
The problem with a belt sheath is you are getting in and out of truck on a regular basis and belt sheaths for knives this big area pain! I would like to see what you could come up with though! Maybe a crossdraw with straps with snaps so you could take it off easily and put on quickly?? Maybe a frog with a strap??

I will be wearing mine inside the top of my boot if I can get a knee high snake boot prior to the hunt. If not I will wear it inside my snake gaitors. I wore mine inside my snake gaitors last time and it worked great! Very secure, not a problem when getting in and out of vehicles, easy to get to and out of the way when going through the brush.

Tom

I got back from Virginia earlier today. I have 2 of this design layed out to be ground. Let me tell you guys that S30V is a pain to grind. It drills and cuts just like 440C but when it comes to grinding it eats belts left and right.
I didn't spend too much time on them, I have about 20 knives I am in the middle of. However, you better darn believe that I am going to post pictures of em when I am finished.

Daniel Koster said:
Somehow managed to sneak this in while working on orders...

Here's a teaser pic:
(still need to sharpen and etch my logo)

attachment.php

(special thanks to Tom for all the help getting this done)

Gonna need some suggestions on the sheath....boot carry, perhaps?

Dan you're growing in leaps and bounds but you wouldn't have if the talent you have wasn't there to begin with.;) It may not be too long and your name will be as familiar to us knife guys as Randall, Loveless, Hibben, and no doubt countless others I can't recall at the moment.:thumbup: :D :cool:

As too the sheath. I like the idea of a over the front cross draw that was mentioned, could be the best of all worlds.
But if it were me I would seriously consider a side of calf carry riding high at just below the knee on the outside.:thumbup: Would need to be secured really well and yet easy to get too and really, really, easy to release!:eek:
Actually it would need to be so easy to release that it would semingly jump into your hand when ready to be deployed!!!!:thumbup: :cool: :D

Very nice overall, Dan; the fit and finish look very meticulous... I agree with what Yvsa says above. :)

Maybe?

Long belt-loop, or frog, with the sheath and knife riding from strong side hip socket to knee, and tied down. It should ride comfortably sitting down this way, and be below a car-coat/army fatigue jacket length.

But it is not like you need a quick draw blade. You will have time to withdraw the blade. If not, you did something wrong.:eek:

wacherass.

Thats an awesome looking knife Dan. I thought the sketch was awesome, but this flat blows me away.

Dan,
<~~~This Dave??:)

Tom...Love your work bro...

GUy's on the question of sheath's

I been noodling something...worked on the design at work today...cant draw worth a crap so I aint posting it but here is my idea

Crossdraw (drawable with either hand) Pull the dot snaps should work as far as security and ease of removal...

Pancake style (6oz leather outter shell.... .06" kydex inner)

Cut-out for finger ring

Now here is the thing...The knife is gonna be in the sheath ALOT more than it is going to be in your hand SOOOO

In the interest of HAVING the knife AFTER you run around through the weeds chasing porky...

How about a full flap design that covers the knife handle?? resonably fast and VERY secure...Sweep the flap out of the way and grab the ring and start sticking....

What ya think guy's??

I'm really liking the protective flap idea...especially if nicely tooled! :thumbup:

HMMM, this is getting interesting. I still like the idea of the boot carry. What is in my mind is the handle just below my right knee, and on the side. Secure and out of the way, easy to draw while standing. I hadn't even thought about a flap, but that sound like a good Idea.

ever made a snake gaiter, Dave? Great Question Dan

:D :p

Yes, I think boot carry with a flap over the handle makes the most sense to me. That said...I have a companion knife up my sleeve and will need room for it too...perhaps on an IWB sheath (like for pistols) on a belt that also holds onto the Pig Sticker knife....and all of that wrapped snugly around the calf.

Sheesh...it's getting complicated here!

Josh - email sent with drawing of the "companion knife"...bet you like it. ;)

Last night I caught an episode of "Best and Worst of Tred Barta" on OLN which features him taking a boar with a knife. Not sure when/if it will be re-aired.

Eric

Whether killing wild boar or doing a cull at the farm I dress to kill. Simple, nothing too complicated types of clothing and gear. I dress for mobility, so that I can be comfortable in whatever position I may be in. I carry my knife on a sturdy thick leather belt. I like a sheath where the knife rides high. It doesn't interfere with the truck seat and seat belt. When wearing long shirts or a jacket the knife sheath does not show its length. This is less intimidating to the public when traveling between the farm and the gas station etc, when one does not want to draw attention. With a high rider sheath my pig killing knife( also used on lambs etc etc.) exposes less leather than my folding knife, yet the pig knife has a blade just under 7 inches in length. Remember it is extremely important that your knife(s) be carried in such away that it is easily accessable. A knife is useless if it is out of reach especially at a critical moment.

As for the rest of my attire, since it is bloody work ( or play) I wear jeans and shirts than can be washed and rubber boots preferably with steel toes. When I work at the farm I always carry a change of clothes. Killing pigs or livestock is dirty business. Don't expect just blood, they can and do shit as much as they bleed, and don't forget the muck too.

Bufford said:
I carry my knife on a sturdy thick leather belt. I like a sheath where the knife rides high. It doesn't interfere with the truck seat and seat belt. When wearing long shirts or a jacket the knife sheath does not show its length. This is less intimidating to the public when traveling between the farm and the gas station etc, when one does not want to draw attention. With a high rider sheath my pig killing knife( also used on lambs etc etc.) exposes less leather than my folding knife, yet the pig knife has a blade just under 7 inches in length. Remember it is extremely important that your knife(s) be carried in such away that it is easily accessable. A knife is useless if it is out of reach especially at a critical moment.

I like the way you think bro...This is exactely what I was thinking...Nice sturdy 10-12oz leather belt and a tuff sheath and off ya go!!!

Back