Hollow Grind Vs. Flat Grind

Cliff Stamp said:
The blade on the far right is a hollow grind which won't wedge compared to the corrosponding flat grind (far left), if anything it does better on deep cuts because of a reduced friction.
I like the looks of that(a lot!), but have never actually seen a grind like that on a knife. I can see where I would like that type of grind on some of my fully flat ground blades both large and small, especially the ones that are on the thick side to begin with.

OwenM said:
I can see where I would like that type of grind on some of my fully flat ground blades ...
Once you use it you start looking at a lot of blades with an eye for grinding. It is a totally different approach to hollow profiling, the Japanese use it on chisels to scoop out the back to allow faster lapping and on some of their knives to reduce friction and again allow faster sharpening. Lee talkes about it in his book on sharpening for these reasons. The big difference here is that it is done on a blade with the primary profile already established and the avoidance of the t-bar wedging effect which comes from mainly trying to do two opposing things in the same knife, a strong prybar with a thin edge.

-Cliff

OwenM said:
I like the looks of that(a lot!), but have never actually seen a grind like that on a knife. I can see where I would like that type of grind on some of my fully flat ground blades both large and small, especially the ones that are on the thick side to begin with.

Owen,
That type of grind does look very nice. It is the basis for Webster Marble's original fullered designs, which were then perverted into "blood grooves."

If I am not mistaken, that is a hard wood axe profile, high penetration, high stength.

Yes, hard wood axes generally have a primary light convex grinds, but the principle is the same in regards to cutting ability. I have been thinking off and on about getting this done with a large bowie to see if you can't get similar effects, just apply a light hollow maybe an inch or so wide in the middle, leaving an half an inch on top and bottom. When Justin gets back I might see if it is something he would be interested in.

-Cliff

Back