How about a permanent monthly fitness skills thread?

I am a weight lifting noob! I don't even know how much the bar weighs.

Google: Olympic Bar: 44.1lbs, EZ Bar: 25lbs maybe?

I'll stick with my method. I'm not giving anyone advice, just posting my workouts. I don't really care if someone thinks I'm weak or whatever. I'm doing this for me alone, although, I am participating in this thread.

I still recommend adding bar weight to the total, it's the standard way. You have a healthy attitude towards lifting.

You mentioned volume. I'm not fluent in weight lifting terminology. Do you mean the amount of different exercises in the workouts?

Volume is usually counted as sets x reps. Total workload (tonnage) = volume x load.

I'm always trying to learn what works for me. I've tried to do workouts where I do like 3 sets of 5 reps with heavier weight. It just doesn't feel like I've done much. I think the problem is I'm not to the point where I can lift enough weight to benefit from low reps.

Beginners don't even need to use max weights. They get the same results from using 60% of max weights, as it has much to do with neural learning. You need and get to do lots of quality and perfect reps with that lower weight.

But to be honest, you don't need 12 sets of curls for the guns. Do big core exercises (as in variations of squats, deadlifts , pressing and pulling), and then some smaller stuff for a few sets afterwards. That's plenty. But, to each of his own. If you enjoy what you are doing... Just my opinion.

I do want to try the 1 or 2 rep max weight lifts, maybe in a few months. I think I need to develop muscle memory with the movements, and increase the weight before I can benefit form the low rep workouts.

Yes.

I think I'm also more concerned with stamina and endurance, and not so much with max weight. Also, the weight lifting is just to add some variety to my exercise habits so I can be more well rounded. I really just want to run; though, I don't want to be just a skinny guy who runs all the time. I'm not built that way anyways. I'm short, broad chested, and pretty solid, under a layer of fat that slowly going away.:)

You sound like a natural benchpresser, maybe a squatter too depending on the leverages,

I am a weight lifting noob! I don't even know how much the bar weighs.

Google: Olympic Bar: 44.1lbs, EZ Bar: 25lbs maybe?

I'll stick with my method. I'm not giving anyone advice, just posting my workouts. I don't really care if someone thinks I'm weak or whatever. I'm doing this for me alone, although, I am participating in this thread.

I don't think you are weak, but I do think you might be just a tad bit scattered in the approach :D (There are positive aspects to that, but I'd love to hear what you thought after doing a 5000 swing week with a 16 or 24kg)

I'm always trying to learn what works for me. I've tried to do workouts where I do like 3 sets of 5 reps with heavier weight. It just doesn't feel like I've done much. I think the problem is I'm not to the point where I can lift enough weight to benefit from low reps.

The 3 sets of 5 in a free weight full body exercise like a deadlift, side press, or snatch is a great technique for building raw strength. That's what it's for- building raw strength. Not endurance strength.

Not feeling like you've done much is a perfect description of how you should feel on a 1 to 2 times a day, 5 or 6 days a week program with a movement- say deadlift. Your revoery rate is faster, you get to maintain good form, and you build raw, base strength rapidly.

To figure out a loading, you have to figure out your single rep max. Which you can't do without working up to it, which is a bit of a paradox, so you start light, say 2 plates on the bar (I'm guessing for you) and do the 3 sets of 5 for a week, take two days off, and try 6 plates. Can do? Do 5 days of work with 4 plates on the bar, take a day off, try for a PR that's heavier.

I do want to try the 1 or 2 rep max weight lifts, maybe in a few months. I think I need to develop muscle memory with the movements, and increase the weight before I can benefit form the low rep workouts.

That's one of the ideal things about the pro training regime like that, where you hit the deadlift (or whatever) for those 3 sets of 5- you stay fresh, so you can focus on form, train the neural paths, increase the joint strength.

I think I'm also more concerned with stamina and endurance, and not so much with max weight.

There's still a purpose to raw strength training, and that's developing the muscles that you can add endurance to :)

I really, really hate to sound like a broken record, but everything you say just seriously points to a month or so of program minimum KB work followed by the Viking Warrior program. Heavy, weighted cardio! (and plenty of fat burning) Nothing, but nothing can smoke you like doing 8 snatches in 15 seconds, with 15 seconds of rest, then again on the other arm- and repeating it 80 times. (it's called the 15:15 protocol, should be easy to google)

There's still a purpose to raw strength training, and that's developing the muscles that you can add endurance to :)

Yes. That's one purpose for it.

Nothing, but nothing can smoke you like doing 8 snatches in 15 seconds, with 15 seconds of rest, then again on the other arm- and repeating it 80 times. (it's called the 15:15 protocol, should be easy to google)

Well, depends of what kind of smoke you want, but Bryce Lane's EDT style 50:20 is pretty bad boy. You take your ~8RM and do 50 reps with that weight in 20mins any rep/set combo you can. You lie on the floor next to the squat rack praying for the second hand of watch to slow down between sets. When you get to 50reps up the weight next time so only get 35-30reps and build up from there.

jacknife pulls are up to 17/16/16 for my three sets. another week or two and I'll be moving up!

Anyone looked an Pollan's latest book? Hilariously cute.

Tonight's workout:

Legs:

Warm Up

Pull Ups: 3 Sets, 6 Reps, No weight assist

Squat: 4 Sets, 8 Reps, 90/140/180/120lbs

Bench Step Ups: 4 Sets, 15 Reps, 20lbs-1st Set, 35lbs-2nd/3rd Set, 50lbs-4th Set.

Dead Lift: 4 Sets, 8 Reps, 100/120/140/150lbs

Seated Calf Raise: 3 Sets, 15 Reps, 75lbs
Leg Press: 4 Sets, 8 Reps, 90/180/270/360lbs (4 Reps @ 360lbs)
Straight leg Calf Press: 3 Sets, 10 Reps, 90/180/270lbs

Tibialis Calf Raise: 3 Sets, 15 Reps, 60lbs

Leg Extension: 3 Sets, 10 Reps, 70/80/90lbs

3 Sets/ 15 Reps of:
Back Extension w/ 25lbs
Oblique Extension w/ 25 lbs
Oblique Twist w/ 25lbs
Hanging Leg Raise

It was a pretty good workout. I increased the weight on the bench step ups and the leg presses.

I have been a total lamer today. I mean, walking several miles in 30+ winds with 3 inches of rain must count for something, but I havent' really worked out today. Hopefully it's just my body cycling me through a spare rest day.

I have been a total lamer today. I mean, walking several miles in 30+ winds with 3 inches of rain must count for something, but I havent' really worked out today. Hopefully it's just my body cycling me through a spare rest day.

Come on buddy, your here to motivate us! :D

I had a 45 min kettlebell/bootcamp workout this morning, and just did 4 clean and press ladders with the 24kg...I feel smashing!

Have a good night, don't fret it, our bodies are cyclical, some days we just don't have it, and it is best not to force it.

AI

Oh, today is going much better. All my strength sets in and 100 swings. But the weather here is really, really bad.

tonight's run was pretty good considering last night I went to sleep at 2300 and woke up at 0230, and was tired all day.

I upped the run to 3 miles, walked for a few minutes, and ran 1/2 mile. Friday, I want to increase the 1/2 mile to 1 mile. To make it sound easier, it's only 4 more minutes of running.:)

My legs are pretty sore from Tuesday's heavy leg workout, and the run stretched everything out, and my legs were feeling good. Now, though, they're sore.

I'll be good to go tomorrow.:thumbup:

I gained two pounds.
I changed diet, increased exercise, and although I expected to lose weight slowly due to outside influences from work and lifestyle, I did not expect to gain. I set a long term goal, and a short term goal, and am aware of the road blocks along the way. Without sounding too whiney, today is a day of re-evaluation and re focus. Kind of frustrated here, I thought I was doing well. I am not giving up though, and will work through this. I was not going to weigh myself for the month, but did this morning in anticipation of about a five pound loss. Not a happy morning on the path to healthyness.

I gained two pounds.
I changed diet, increased exercise, and although I expected to lose weight slowly due to outside influences from work and lifestyle, I did not expect to gain. I set a long term goal, and a short term goal, and am aware of the road blocks along the way. Without sounding too whiney, today is a day of re-evaluation and re focus. Kind of frustrated here, I thought I was doing well. I am not giving up though, and will work through this. I was not going to weigh myself for the month, but did this morning in anticipation of about a five pound loss. Not a happy morning on the path to healthyness.

Not sure why, but this (initial weight gain at first) seems to be a pretty common thing according to friends that I talk to at the gym. All I know is that peoples bodies respond strangely sometimes to new diets and exercise.

But keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, and water weight can have an effect as well. also sometimes if your body thinks that it is starving it will try and hold on to that extra weight for as long as it can....

But if you keep at it you WILL get results! :thumbup: ...I know that I judge myself more by how tight my pants fit than by what the scale says. :)

I gained two pounds.

Ouch.

I've been through just that a couple times. 3 or 4 times before last July, and a few times AFTER the initial weight loss since July. It has, each time, boiled down to about 80/20 a problem with diet, or exercise.

In the summer of 2008, I spent a month hiking and riding my bike every day- like 15-30 miles a day on the bike (150-200 miles per week) and 6 days a week I was pulling a 4-6 mile hike along the creek bottoms. I was eating "healthy" - my diet plan was to eat whatever healthy food I wanted, no sugars or packaged snacks.

Yeah, I gained 10 pounds and lost zero inches.

Couple other times, similar types of things- yoga and biking, martial arts and fastwalking- doesn't matter.

Nearly any diet, strictly followed, will produce results. Strictly followed.

The old school, 1970s, all natural Atkins is great for a few weeks to remap your food ideas, and you'll dump 15 pounds easy unless you are 1: in shape to begin with or 2: overeat so much you can't hit ketosis even on the induction phase.

The "French Women Don't Get Fat" (dudes, go thous to the library and read this book!!!) induction phase diet will cause you to lose weight, too.

It's a matter of having an exact plan and following the exact plan at 90% or better for a while. maybe 3 weeks, maybe 3 months.

It is incredibly hard to remap what a portion is, what is and isn't food, when and how to eat- and a strict diet is a good thing - IMO- for making the change. Not for staying on forever, but for making the change.

Honestly, every time I've really managed a major loss has been with a 2 week induction phase of paleo-atkins (I will not eat processed crap)- or with a 2-4 day lemonade fast followed by a week of 2 loaded salads a day.

There's (depending on source) an error level of 15-35% on all calorie counting programs people do. Meaning that if you try and track calories without a specific, professionally prepackaged, monitored system, you will calculate 800 kCal and have actually consumed 1100! Or be trying to follow the wimpy advice of the 10 or 15 percenters and be dropping down to 1950 a day for 5 pounds a month of weight loss and end up actually eating MORE calories in a week than you did previously.

So- Eat less, Do more. Eat MUCH less for a few weeks, Do MUCH more.

And on to exercise:

The described exercise program that failed me shouldn't have- biking and hiking are awesome. But, if I'm already out of shape in absolute terms (I could not do a 2 mile run at the time, not in under 30 minutes, which ain't a run)- if I'm already out of shape, any sustained exercise that I can do for an hour or more is of necessity going to be not smoking me. That means, not burning major fat, releasing liters of HGH, or whatnot.

Up above there was a comedic comment that getting from the couch to the bathroom wasn't exercise. Well, it could be. More realistically, a person can start from a fairly bad place where doing a walking lap around the block is a full on heavy sweat generating evolution. If so, that's fine. Do it 4, 5, 6 times a day for a week, then step it up. This is why I love kettlebells- it's easy to get a full on heart-rate-over-max, heavy-sweat, smoked 5 minute workout. Multiple times a day.

Sure, you will have to build intensity as well. But the effort that a racing class cyclist is making over a one hour ride is going to be equivalent to the effort level I can sustain for 5 minutes. It's better for me to make the 5 minute effort than to make a one hour no-sweat effort. (the plan would be to do 3-5 minute sprints with 15 minute cool down riding, 3 times in a session- moving the time of the cool downs down a few minutes per week until I was hitting 3:3 or 5:5 sprint cycles.)

I'm gonna repeat this: It's better for me to make the 5 minute, heaving, sweat dripping effort than to make a one hour no-sweat effort.

I could not, and did not, start with doing hundreds of snatches. I started with one set of one TGU each side daily, and IIRC (keep records!!!) 3 sets of 20 swings every morning. With whatever random moves I did a few times a day out in the shop- swings or pulls or windmills or hot potato.

But to de ramble- you've probably increased your overall fitness, but fitness and weight loss don't always match up perfectly. fat loss with an exercise program seems to really boil down to - lean protein, lots of nutrients, and half your calories, maybe a little less*.

It's always, watching myself and others, boiled down to some plan, or system, that has an external source (because honestly, while we know our bodies going into the Project, the bodies we know aren't the ones we want)- because we need some objective reference points.

*(This is why I love the paleo-atkins approach for the first few weeks- 2 egg omelette with .75 ounce cheese in the AM, 3 or 4 or 5 times a day a selection of - grilled spiced chicken breast, 1/4 pound burger patties or 1/5 pound steaks. with butter, or whatever. 2 small coffee cup salads with no-sugar oil and vinegar based dressings. 3 or 4 cups of coffee with a tablespoon of REAL organic heavy cream- spaced throughout the day.

Last edited:
Christoff, I have started to read enter the kettelbell, good stuff..

after about a month of swing the bell I got for xmas I have notice a huge difference in my functional strenght push-ups and squats are much easier now. I really like the bells, I wouldn't recomment them to a complete beginner though. if your not aware of stance and posture I could see one getting hurt, with a trainer OK they can help keep you in check. Lower back injuries are way to easy and way to long healing to risk,

keep at it guys,

cya
jimi

Thanks, Guys. I have a goal set for me by a doctor, I have to be down to weight by 10/26/10 "To weight" is approximately 180 pounds. When I hit 200 pounds, I will see the doctor again and determine the final weight loss necessary. This is because my job requires it. That means I need to lose about 2 1/2 pounds a week.
Most of the obstacles I have plans to circumvent. The biggest problems are access to healthy food, and every day exercise. set routines are difficult as I travel very often, live in hotels, have a room mate, the room mate is not always the same person, and my schedule changes so fast food storage is impractical for more than two days. I may not have access to any food other than gas station or fast food for extended days.

So- Eat less, Do more. Eat MUCH less for a few weeks, Do MUCH more.

A word of caution. Don't do this to the extreme, or you'll become anemic, LIKE ME. I'm the poster child for trying to kill your self through malnourishment and exercise. I've exacted torturous revenge against myself for allowing myself become a fat, lazy bitch.

I have since changed my nefarious ways. What? You don't believe me?:)

Tonight's workout: Chest/Back

It sucked! A total disappointment. I was tired and weak, like a third-world little girl on those Christian Charity commercials.

Warm Up

Pull Ups: 3 Sets, 6 Reps/4 Reps/10 Reps w/ 28lbs assistance

(Weight correction to include the Bar)
Bench Press: 3 Sets, 10 Reps @ 95lbs, 6 Reps @ 115lbs, 4 Reps @ 135lbs
Incline Bench Press: 3 Sets, 10 Reps @ 95lbs, 4 Reps @ 115lbs, 10 Reps @ 85lbs

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press & Flys: 3 Sets, 10 Reps @ 25lbs, 35lbs, 40lbs
Dumbbell Bench Press & Flys: 3 Sets, 10 reps @ 30lbs, 35lbs, 45lbs

Single Arm Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 Sets, 10 Reps @ 25lbs, 30lbs, 35lbs

Seated Row: 3 Sets, 10 Reps, 60lbs, 80lbs, 100lbs

Lat Pull Down: 3 Sets, 10 Reps @ 60lbs, 80lbs, 100lbs (only 6 reps @ 100lbs)

Aussie Pull Ups: 3 Sets, 15 Reps

Dips: 3 Sets, 10 Reps, Last set w/ 28lbs assistance

Core Exercises, 3 Sets, 15 Reps:

Back Extension w/ 25lbs
Oblique Extension w/ 25lbs
Oblique Twist w/ 25lbs
Hanging Straight Leg lifts

Pull Ups: 3 Sets, 4 Reps, 4 Reps, 10 Reps w/ 28lbs assistance

I met a guy at the gym who was in prison. He was a pull-up machine, like I used to be 11-12 years ago. Seriously, I don't care to get back to that point, where I could knock out 80+ pull-ups in 2 minutes. I would like to be able to knock out 30 in one set. I'm pretty confident I'll get there. Recollecting the process I went through way back when, it just took 9 months of practice. I started with the assisted pull-up machine, and...well, did pull-ups all the time.:) I was a dip machine way back when, too.

C_Kyle, have you tried doing a workout where instead of 3 sets using increasing resistance, you start out at the max resistance you're comfortable with and do what you can? The idea being push/pull as much weight as you can comfortably do, trying to get at least 6 reps, and if you get 8 or more add more resistance. I used to do workouts more like what you describe, but I've switched to one more like what I just wrote about. My workouts take about 1/3 the time and produce better results for me.

I've come to this thread late and after reading through 5 pages I clicked on last, realized that reading through to the last page in the 170’s now would take more time then I have so maybe some of the things I say have been posted before. To begin, I am:
6'
My morning wt:211
Pants 36x34
Shirts & Jackets xl-xxl
Neck 18"
Biceps 16 1/4 cold
Having lived with this body for more than 65 yrs. I know I should weigh about 185. I've had surgeries on both shoulders to rebuild the rotator and remove arthritic spurs and one knee. When I wake up in the AM it usually takes about 5-15 minutes to get the oil pressure up. That is, get things working smoothly.

I started to exercise regularly early on in the Charles Atlas years. I never bought his stuff but started doing push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, tree and fence climbing along with running and all the things that young people did before lots of TV and computers.

My motivation was very simple I was pretty scrawny I did not win many battles that my mouth seemed to bring on. So my concept of exercise has evolved to attain Functional Strength.

Consistency is the hardest thing to maintain and the most important to me. I have always been a strong believer in bodyweight exercises. Did a lot of weight training and hurt myself. So I finally stopped almost all of that.
I have been reading that some of you use Kettlebells. I have been reading a lot about them and watching vids on utube. I haven’t gotten any yet but modified the basic swing using a sandbag, Does anyone incorporate sandbags in their workout?
Sandbags are inexpensive and fit right in to my thoughts about being strong; they increase your grip strength and don’t move in a balanced way. Those along with a variety of the group of pull, push ups, hanging leg raises and planks for the core are the basics of my workout. I also use a 1 ½ manila rope to do pull-ups and a climbing exercise as well.

It’s good to see that you are there working to stay fit.

I’ve been running off at the mouth so before I close, just a few of the sites that I have found informative:
http://www.bodyweightculture.com/ Top notch.

http://www.undergroundstrengthcoach.com/ If you sign up for his emails you may get as many as 2- 3 a day.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/ Strong fellas here as well.

Sandbags are great, cheap and easy to put together. they add variety and work your body differently than the other methods of exercise.

Get a dufflebag, heavy contractor garbage bags, duct tape and either sand or I use wood pellets that come in a 40lb bag. The wood pellets are easier to work with and if the bag containing them leaks are much easier to clean up.
Lots of info. Google and uTube.

Back