How are the knife laws in your state

I thought Chicago was a 2" max, that's why Spyderco created the Chicago model @ 2" blade.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
It is a 2" limit for folks who are 18-years old & younger.

A person who is 19-years old (and up) can have a blade that is up-to-2.5 inches in length.

So, technically Spyderco has covered all their bases ... just in case an 18-year old purchases one of their "Chicago" folders.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

NJ laws can be great or awful, depending on how law enforcement chooses to interpret them... The are supposed written in an extremely vague manner leaving them up for interpretation it whatever way might be convenient if someone wants to give you a tough time. Basically, you can carry any knife (no size limit that I know) that you have *a lawful purpose of carrying*. If you're hunting and carry a knife, no problem. If you go for a walk in the park... it depends. BTW, I read somewhere that self-defense is NOT considered a lawful purpose of carrying because that implies it is being carried with the purpose of hurting someone and that's unlawful (even if they are attacking you). I think that's silly -- defending oneself **when attacked** is a basic right in my opinion.

NJ laws can be great or awful, depending on how law enforcement chooses to interpret them... The are supposed written in an extremely vague manner leaving them up for interpretation it whatever way might be convenient if someone wants to give you a tough time. Basically, you can carry any knife (no size limit that I know) that you have *a lawful purpose of carrying*. If you're hunting and carry a knife, no problem. If you go for a walk in the park... it depends. BTW, I read somewhere that self-defense is NOT considered a lawful purpose of carrying because that implies it is being carried with the purpose of hurting someone and that's unlawful (even if they are attacking you). I think that's silly -- defending oneself **when attacked** is a basic right in my opinion.
You are 100% correct. You never want to tell law enforcement in NJ that you're carrying your knife for self-defense. The only law regarding length in NJ has something to do with not being able to sell a minor a knife with a 5" or longer blade. I don't recall the specifics.

Basically, if you get questioned you need to prove justifiable need AT THAT PARTICULAR TIME, on why you have a knife with you. You never ever want to leave any type of defense or self-defense response.

You are 100% correct. You never want to tell law enforcement in NJ that you're carrying your knife for self-defense. The only law regarding length in NJ has something to do with not being able to sell a minor a knife with a 5" or longer blade. I don't recall the specifics.

Basically, if you get questioned you need to prove justifiable need AT THAT PARTICULAR TIME, on why you have a knife with you. You never ever want to leave any type of defense or self-defense response.

Off topic but what about firearms in NJ? If you can't carry a knife what about a gun?

Off topic but what about firearms in NJ? If you can't carry a knife what about a gun?

That's almost like a joke... In NJ only someone who has shown a major reason why they would need to need a gun are given a carry license. That's boils down to only ex-LEO or someone that shows that need to carry a gun for work (like a bodyguard/security agent)

Correct. From what I recall, less than 2k carry permits are issued in NJ, none of them to the normal John Q Public.

Maine rocks in regards to everything firearm and knife related. We are a "Constitutional Carry" state, meaning you need no permit to carry a pistol open or concealed. We just overturned an old 1950s blue law that made automatic knives illegal. No problem anymore. Basically no gun laws other than federal and with knives, (as odd as it sounds), if you are not carrying it for self defense (any other uses is fine) no problem.

Jeff Zimba

That someone cannot carry a knife, or any other object (e.g., a tactical pen), for self-defense is one of weirdest things to me... Are those people saying that if someone is being attacked they have no right to defend themselves? What kind of nonsense is that?!

To be very clear, I'm talking about *defense*. That is, the ability to protect the life and well-being of oneself and of ones' family *if* attacked. I'm not talking about protecting one's ego or "giving it to it/them".

My home protection plan involves that, if someone breaks into the house, I'll warn the intruder(s) to leave (yes, I know this is not ideal because it gives away my position) and, if the intruder still attempts to walk up the stairs, I can only assume that he's ill intended beyond just stealing...

Minnesota is pretty good, 4 inch limit on pocket knives, just cant use them as a weapon (which is fine with me, Its not intended as a weapon when I carry it). No carrying Autos or Balis. The fixed blade laws are a little vague, so when I carry one I tend to carry very small ones.

Arizona is pretty much the "Disneyland " of knife ownership.
You can walk the mall with a silenced 1911 on your hip, a machete
slung on your chest and an Severtechs in both pockets. I wouldn't,
but I'm not a 1911 guy.

My son will be turning 15 (we live in AZ, Maricopa county) and he wants an auto - what do you think? I don't think he'll be able to take it into any restricted areas, and such, but my wife doesn't think anyone in AZ can conceal an auto until the age of 21 - anybody have any clarification? Or help?

Thank you!

My son will be turning 15 (we live in AZ, Maricopa county) and he wants an auto - what do you think? I don't think he'll be able to take it into any restricted areas, and such, but my wife doesn't think anyone in AZ can conceal an auto until the age of 21 - anybody have any clarification? Or help?

Thank you!

Your wife is correct: It is illegal for him to carry any deadly weapon except a pocket knife until age 21. And no, autos do not count as "pocket knives" within the common law system of Arizona. Standard folders only. Statute is here:
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03102.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

Last edited:
Washington is okay. Seattle says no carrying of fixed blades, and 3.5" limit on folders. I can live with that. I don't need a fixed blade to go downtown. The forests are not in the city limits. No autos at all.

Aside from that, carrying knives seems pretty common and no one seems to be getting hassled about it.

I really don't think it is the laws, it is the enforcement. If the cops and DA aren't making it an issue, it isn't.

Texas laws are very good, just keep the blade under 5'.5"

Correct - the only restrictions other than length are no daggers, dirks, poniards, Bowie knives or swords. Although, hopefully that will change next legislative session.

Unless you live in the San Antonio area, where your blade length must be under 3.5"

Fortunately, you are incorrect.

As of September 01, 2015, a state-wide pre-emption law went into effect. No city may have in effect a law that is more restrictive than state law. Max legal open/concealed legal carry is 5.5". This includes folders, autos, fixed, and balisongs.

And even before the pre-emption law, San Antonio's only restriction was on locking folders, with no reference to length at all. CORPUS CHRISTI on the other hand had a complete ban on fixed blades and a 3.0" limit on any folder. None of these, or any other general restriction by city or county remain in effect.

School property restrictions and restrictions on specific properties (such as a city hall, a courthouse, a municple building, etc) are still allowed. Blanket type restrictions are NOT allowed.

Oregon is fine I can carry anything I want. I carry three pocket knives and a decent-sized auto:

A little Victorinox "Traveler", my Yellow Delrin-scaled Case CV Peanut, a cheap 2" Chinese Auto and my Buck Model 898 "Impact" auto.

These all disappear in my sport coat pockets that appear on command when needed. :thumbup:;) :D

Yeah, California is not too bad. Any size blade length concealed as long as it's a folder and not auto. Auto's with blades 2" or less concealed legal.
Just wish we would repeal the ban on full sized autos. I own 3 as they are perfectly legal to own just not to carry..what?!

Anyway, please sign the petition in my sig line if you will :)

Back