How I make a pouch sheath... (tutorial).

I posted it here first because 1) Andy gave me carte blanche in his forum - he is just that cool and 2) I know for certain he would do the same for me - you can tell by how many others he has helped get their start making knives. He didn't have to do that - and has even created a few competitors in the knife business - but his heart is just that big.

I am proud to post this in this forum!

TF

It's awesome, Tal. I've sent links to several folks. Fantastic tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to document and write it up - no small effort. It's a great resource.

Chainring - when are you coming to Houston so I can teach you first hand how to make your own leather?

TF

Tal,
Your attention to detail is what makes you a true craftsman. I just made a deal on a knife with one of your sheaths, I am very excited to have it in hand.

Bill

Tal asked me to add some things that I do when I make a sheath to show maybe some different options. This sheath is being made for a Bushfinger so I thought it was perfect timing to snap some pics.

Most of my prep work is the same as his to a degree so I will not rehash what he has already put time in doing. To this point I have cut out the pattern done the prep work on the back side using my 1x42 belt grinder with a 60 grit Aluminum Oxide belt for shaping and a 80 micron Zirc belt for the suede finishing. I have done all the edge work very much the same way.

One step that I do differently is to take the sheath and fold it over to make the edges line up in their final position and head over to the belt grinder to make those edges match perfectly. The reason I do that is because I will put my stitch groove on both sides right now along with any other decorative grooving I feel like doing and my stamping and embossing. This is the part where I deviate from Tal's method. Here are some pics of where I am at at this point.

980170d5.jpg

Normally my prep work on the inside of the sheath involves using only the belt grinder but on this particular sheath I decided to finish it by hand after using the belt grinder and it gave it a slightly rougher suede texture. I think I could accomplish this with a coarser grit belt as well.

Here is the front side all grooved and ready to dye. I am just waiting for the knife to arrive to make sure everything fits as it should and to make sure the color is right.

bf08b8a9.jpg

I'll post more when it arrives and as I finish the sheath.

Wow that is what I would call super clean. I only hope that I can attain that level of skill.
Thank you for the explanation.

Alright, here is the rest. I must preface this in saying that by no means am I nearly as experienced in sheath making as Tal. He asked me to contribute to this thread and I'm happy to add what little I know.

I finally got the Bushfinger in from it's owner and have found a dye that will match it very well. The color matches the liners and bullseye perfectly.

Here is a pic with it all dyed up and given it's first coat of protectant. I use Obenauf's LP which appears to be essentially the same makeup as what Tal uses. It's just made in Idaho instead of Montana. ;):p

e0b77c93.jpg

Like I said my procedure from here on out is a little different but it works for me. After the dye dries for a little while I then mark where the belt loop will attach and rough up the attachment points on both sides. Then glue it up. At this point I will also finish the drop leg attachment and put it together and I will wet form and glue together the fire steel loop.

a18a3b27.jpg

After the glue dries for a few minutes I take my little cordless drill with a sharpened dowell at 1/16" and drill the holes all the way through. Then I run a groove on the inside and re-dye that part. I make sure the groove is plenty deep so that the thread sits below the surface enough to not be rubbed by the knife.

7a81e04c.jpg

Then I stitch the belt loop on and do the necessary finishing work to make it look good.

7cc02702.jpg

Then it's time to glue. I rough up everything that will get glued and make sure there is not dye in those locations. Then I glue one side together completely and let it dry for just a minute. Also note that I have prepped and finished the edge where the firesteel loop will go. You can't get in there very well to do what needs to be done after it is glued.

2f071f52.jpg

Then I glue up the other side and clamp it all together to get a good solid weld. Not that it makes that much difference but it gives me peace of mind.

c3a4955b.jpg

After it all dries and sets well I pull out my handy dandy cordless drill again and drill the holes along the edge. I have a drill press and used to use it for this part of the process but I was never good enough to get the holes to go straight on the back side. So here is what I discovered works for me. I think it shows a little of my perfectionist personality coming out.

First I mark the holes with my wheel on both sides. I make sure I start in the same place on both sides so the holes line up front to back. Then I start by drilling part way through from the back side not letting the tip quite penetrate the front side.

a69ebaa6.jpg

Then I flip it over and drill through from the front side. As long as I am fairly close the point of the drill will find the hole on the other side and guide itself right into the hole on the other side. This way I know the stitch line on the front and the back is as straight as I can get it.

c77265c8.jpg

Once they are drilled I stitch it together. I use both the hand stitch technique (like Tal uses) and the lock stitch technique to sew up sheaths. The lock stitch is similar to what a sewing machine gives you.

Here are both sides all stitched up. Notice how they are both straight, at least as good as I can get.

ed1a1917.jpg

e2b8e406.jpg

Then I head out to my 1x42 grinder and finish the edge. On a sheath with a firesteel loop I cannot get the grinder to go in the right direction so I finish it by hand sanding the edge, then dye it and do the edge finishing methods similar to Tal. Then I finish wet forming the sheath to the knife for good retention and give it one more coat of protection as well as all the finishing touches and it's done. I ran out of day light today but tomorrow I will get some good glamor shots of the sheath and knife together. These crappy phone pics do not look very good at all. I hope this can help some of you in you leather bending endeavors.

I really like the mottled look and the texture you add to your sheaths. (Some of Andy's even look like they are hit with a ball peen hammer.) Is there a special tool you use, or is it just that simple??

I really like the mottled look and the texture you add to your sheaths. (Some of Andy's even look like they are hit with a ball peen hammer.) Is there a special tool you use, or is it just that simple??

No, it really is just that simple. For the look on this sheath I just use 16d nails that have been rounded off on the tip to different degrees. I have done the hammered look before too and it's just a matter of using a small ball peen hammer and press it into the leather or hit it with another hammer. There might be other ways but that is what I do.

Wow, it's funny that something which could appear much more technical, is actually that simple. Thanks for the tip! And for posting up your work!

Don't let him fool you Chain... I sent that sheath to him to take pictures of. His looked like a chewed piece of bubblegum and I felt bad for him... ;)

Seriously though... I have a few questions Jared:

1) How do you determine your welt - do you pattern it like mine?
2) Why do make the flap of the dangler on the back? And why the design you chose?

I love the idea of the blunted 16 penny nails and I like how you do your holes. I see the benefit of doing it that way.

It looks awesome.

TF

Don't let him fool you Chain... I sent that sheath to him to take pictures of. His looked like a chewed piece of bubblegum and I felt bad for him... ;)

Seriously though... I have a few questions Jared:

1) How do you determine your welt - do you pattern it like mine?
2) Why do make the flap of the dangler on the back? And why the design you chose?

I love the idea of the blunted 16 penny nails and I like how you do your holes. I see the benefit of doing it that way.

It looks awesome.

TF

1) Yes and no. I do pattern it to the knife when I can but I keep it a little farther away from the edge.
2) I put it on the back solely for aesthetic reasons. It matches the belt loop below it. And if you mean the drop leg design, well I all but blatantly stole the idea from you. If you mean the whole sheath in general, I really like pouch sheaths and came up with this design as something different that was still pleasing to the eye.

Thanks man, and thanks for letting me participate in this thread!:cool:

No - what I mean is this. You see on my dangler how I use a strap cutter. Yours is asymmetrical and just sort of tapers off to one side. Why?

Oh - and the drop leg - I ripped off from JRE. Now the removable D-Ring I was the first to discover - but everything else is 'borrowed'. ;)

TF

Back