Recommendation? Hunting fixed blade

Hatchet_Jack

Gold Member
My birthday is coming up and my wife is happy to buy a knife for me…for once.

I typically collect traditional folders but in no way shape or form is she going to be jumping hoops to try for a GEC drop or anything like that. So I figure, a new fixed blade for an upcoming hunting trip would be nice.

I don’t mind carbon or stainless but it must be in a natural material, preference is stag although bone and wood is on the cards.

I won’t bother with price as currency exchange and freight makes any figures moot, but she’s not going to be paying custom money. So I’m really looking at production models, I was looking at some puma and boker stag knives and a couple out of France but I thought I’d check and see what suggestions folks on here have.

Appreciate any advice.

You didn't say what game you would be hunting. A knife suitable for ducks in Canada or pheasants in the Dakotas would be different than what would be appropriate for antelope or mulies in Colorado which would in turn be different from what is called for on a moose or grizzly hunt in Alaska. I took a nice Wayne Hendrix drop point hunter to Canada for bear but the outfitter field dressed the bear and skinned it leaving me to do the butchering.
Below is a drop point hunter from a local maker that my wife got me for Christmas 2023. She bought it from the silent auction at a "Women in the Outdoors" event she has attended annually for years. It will go deer hunting with me this fall. The event is sponsored by the NWTF.
I am so lucky!!
XMAS 2023 Drop point hunter.jpg

Last edited:
GEC H40 which is about a 4.5 inch blade, wood handles, I saw one or two in the exchange. There are also other styles of fixed blades in the GEC line up. And smaller in the same blade style as the h40.

sorry I didn’t specify a couple of things. It’s mostly for deer like red stag and sambar.
I’m mostly a muzzleloader hunter and have my fixed blade knife sheaths integrated into my shot pouch. We’re going to New Zealand and I’m taking a centrefire as it’s just easier than trying to source local black powder. I’m wanting one for that trip.

One thing I aesthetically don’t love are big guards. I like the GEC H23216 in bone but can’t find one.

Last edited:
Muela, joker, cuderman also hit the same points as the puma.

So if you wanted slightly different versions of steel 440, bohler skanvic and different takes on stag handles and blade shapes. You will get more options there.

I am eyeing of a joker bowie in stag. Just for the coolness of having a bowie.

sorry I didn’t specify a couple of things. It’s mostly for deer like red stag and sambar.
I’m mostly a muzzleloader hunter and have my fixed blade knife sheaths integrated into my shot pouch. We’re going to New Zealand and I’m taking a centrefire as it’s just easier than trying to source local black powder. I’m wanting one for that trip.

One thing I aesthetically don’t love are big guards. I like the GEC H23216 in bone but can’t find one.
Don't know if this will help but see this link.

Svord (370BB) Drop Point 4 3/4​

SV370bb.1.1.jpg

Length of Blade:
4 3/4"

Over All Length:
9 3/4

Blade Shape:
Drop Point

Handle Material:
Mahogany and Brass

Steel Specs:
15N20

Blade Thickness:
2.2mm

Sheath:
Leather

Von Gruff Knives out of New Zealand is an affordable custom maker as well. He’s got a website you can find with a search

Last edited:
I appreciate all the suggestions, I have been looking at everything suggested.

The reason I’m not looking at custom is that currently with fees, i can safely add at least 60% to any price for currency conversion. Shipping out of USA/EU is running around $70-80.

I like the look of the Cudeman Akeley in stag and it seems like I can get one for mid to high $200s. I imagine between my wife and parents they could come at most of that price and I can make up the difference.

Last edited:
Back