I hate snaps

Seriously, I know it's my own fault, but I just messed up setting 2 snaps for a practice bracelet... They are supposed to be for leather of 3-4mm thickness. The leather is 3mm as far as I can tell and still the post of the snap is too short.

I'm going to avoid them wherever I can I guess...

Sorry just had to vent this.

I dislike them too! Not just setting but their function on most leather work. Just seem kinda blah.

Line 24's come in various post lengths. Like rivets, buy em long and grind off the extra length if you have a belt sander.

Flare the female end of the rivet to make it easier to set the male end through. If the post is not long enough take down the leather in the area of the rivet. I make it thinner by grinding off a bit of the leather at the drill hole on the grinder.

Yep I've gone to the long and grind to fit school of thought too. I think it was Dwayne or Gary that first mentioned that. Gave it a try and it works great. Saves on having to have a whole bunch of diferent sizes. Nipping them with a pair of dikes or end cutters doesn't work though. Tried that years ago.

My problem is they're not very robust, at least the Tandy snaps. My buddy had one fail on his $200+\- Tracker sheath. It was an easy repair for me to make for him, but depending upon location, could gave been a big deal. That's the reason I used Chicago screws on a replaceable belt strap for my Tracker sheath. So a messed up snap wouldn't destroy a sheath. I'd like to switch to studs, but they're almost $3 a piece and not as convenient.

i'm going to switch to studs i guess. over here it is basically reversed, studs vary from 50 to 70 cents a pieces, chicago screws pass the the 1€ mark depending on the size... let alone getting the right size. :D

Well I'll paddle against the flow , and say that I like Snap's and will continue to use them for my Folder sheaths .

Ken

Ha, nothing wrong with that. It's just that I can't get the hang of them or to have the fitting ones for my leather at hand.

Most duty gear has the HD directional snaps. I need to find a source for those. They are kind of a pain, but are tough and don't unsnap unless you want them to. Ken, there are times when snaps are more appropriate for sure.

I just had an incredibly frustrating multiple failure fight with some snaps.
I went thru my stash, found some plain ones that would work on my project and had two not flare properly on the female side.
The male side went on without a hitch.
I managed not to screw up the very last button I had.
Or I would've had to take out the male snap too.
All on a project that I've got hours & hours & hours on.

I feel your pain.

After it was all said and done, I realized that those were the super cheap snap that my BIL gave me.
:foot: :grumpy: :rolleyes:

For the directional snaps "Pull the Dot" snaps are the go to for most military applications.

For the other applications and non directionals for military use check out D O T snaps. They have everything from easy release to "what the heck are they thinking" hardness. Dont get those hard snaps if you like getting into your equipment, no exaggerations.

Direct from the company can be painful if you dont plan on buying silly amounts. Might check their list of distributors, but you will pay for the ease and less to purchase.

I use a self-modified spade bit to 'countersink' the snaps into the leather, takes the bottom part out of blade's way too.

The Tandy French edge skiver does a very admirable job too. Stick one leg in the hole and spin the leather.

Only one caveat... Try to buy the thing in person. I went through the whole rack at the store and the quality of the tool is horrendous, literally one passable tool out of like 10. Sharpening helps too, but it IS only like $15 so...

Back