I hate snaps

I LOVE snaps! Studs are very classy and work well, but I prefer snaps on users.

You guys still aren't using a hand press, are you....

I LOVE snaps! Studs are very classy and work well, but I prefer snaps on users.

You guys still aren't using a hand press, are you....
No. I've looked at presses and better setters many times, but there are too many things that make better sense as purchases for me.

I do like the look of some of the decorative snaps, but every customer (aside from little bracelets I make for children) have preferred studs. Clearly snaps have a large following because many people use them, I just don't get asked for them.

well, if i had a decent press, that would be great, however it wouldn't change the fact that the poles on the snaps seem to be always a tad too short.
don't get me wrong, i'm not talking about that you shouldn't use snaps, i was just really frustrated.

btw, here is the practice bracelet... it was predyed, so it didn't take the water too well, still the tooling did okay, and with a stud ;)

strange thing is though, the edges are very rough, i didn't sand them, just cut to fit. that's probably the fault... directly after burnishing with gum trag they are fine, but after drying some time really small fibres start sticking up. :( well, live and learn hopefully.

I don't have a Sheath that doe's not snap.!** Tried them all and and for my Folders and Sheath Knives they all "snap" or it is a no-go for me ~~ but then again everybody has there own preference.!^^ But then again I have all my Leather Sheaths made by a great Leatherman in Mo. and it has spoiled me ~~ but then again you get what you pay for.!!!*

thanks anthony! the line for the camo was done using a standard adjustable groover and on the opposite side to the camo i simply pulled a b935 (http://www.ledermacher.de/produktansicht.php?id=448&kat=92&ukat=93) beveller along with the tip inserte in the groove. (because i didn't manage/was to impatient to work by slightly tapping it ;) )

you can still see where the second tap wasn't quite on the mark and where i adjusted the distances between the stamps, but i am quite content as i didn't measure out the distance beforehand :D
i am on a lookout now for better snaps/snaps with longer posts, as i would actually like to be able to use them on some projects.
theoretically i should be able to use a rivet like this to attach the snaps (something like these http://www.ledermacher.de/produktansicht.php?id=1063&kat=44&ukat=46), right?

Florian

How long are your posts? I made this sample so the top of the post sits flush with the leather (4mm thick).
One of the nice things about the press is that it compresses the leather prior to rolling over the post (impossible to do with the anvil). The snap fits flush with the leather as well.

the post is about 1mm higher than the leather, basically it sits flush the inner part of the piece you attach to it (sorry, don't know what it is called).
btw, really nice snap! what kind is it? what kind of press are you using?
the point is that a 200+€ press is just too much of an expense to justify... it's a hobby and... well, i only get a certain amount of money allotted to it by my wife ;) which is okay, otherwise i would go shopping crazy.
and i think the next on the list will be a bladed awl... and maybe rotary hole punch... and of course more raw materials :D
actually i feel kinda bad/like a cheapskate, seeing all the fine craftsmen here.... but like i said, it is a hobby, i started in february and i know my wife is right... like most of the time, but don't tell her i said that :D

I find it easier to place the tip of the stamp in the last one.

Sorry I don't have a better pic on hand, but you get the idea.

ImnOh55.jpg

A lot of guys space them out though. Horsewright comes to mind.

Your beveling is much better than mine. Not just that but I think you just inadvertently explained how my little plastic swivel knife beveler works!

Last edited:
The difficult thing about some arts and crafts is that its sometimes difficult to get the same supplies as here. Other times I look jealously at some of the wonderful supplies you can get so easily over there. :D

I'll have to measure the posts on some of my snaps and see if they are the same length as yours.

Also, it might be your setter. Some of the less expensive models that come with that little anvil just dont work as well.

Lastly, for a crafter you really dont need a press. Its hard enough to find a good one nowadays and when you do its expensive for a tool you'll only use occasionally. I spent the money and found that mine is in a time period that the manufacturer for Tandy didn't do a good job on the fit and finish. I ended up replacing over a dozen ill fitted snaps in one fell swoop, they simply came apart. The press does not roll the post properly, a very weak connection. I hope its been addressed by now, I have a good friend in Tandy that told me, but its "suggested" to them not to speak about it.

My press and die are from Springfield Leather. The snaps are DOT brand.
Yeah, it's kinda expensive, but after I threw away my first sheath when the snap I did with the anvil setter came off after I had just finished it, I realized it was a bargain.

I should also add, I use Line 20 snaps. I could never get a decent set with those using the anvil.
I have set the 24's with an anvil just playin' around, and actually had pretty good results with those.

Line 20 are some of the most difficult to set bar none. I've never cursed more than with those beasts. :p

I do like them though, they have a strong place in my uses. Smaller sheaths cry for them when the line 24's look massive.

Nah, nothing special. It's a 70's era Tandy I got from eBay.

MpvbKCI.jpg

Still, it's served me pretty well and I assume it's better than the ones they sell now.

I dislike them too! Not just setting but their function on most leather work. Just seem kinda blah.

Line 24's come in various post lengths. Like rivets, buy em long and grind off the extra length if you have a belt sander.

I cut mine shorter with a Dremel.

Have you tried the Segma snaps. I have had quite good success with them. The link is to a video on setting them.

http://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/Setting-Snap-Fasteners-Line-Segm.aspx
Hmm... I do like that the height while snapped is not so tall as the line 24's. I've always gone with the 24's because, as I understand it, they offer the strongest retention. Honestly though, the 24's are overly strong in many cases. I think I'll grab some of these Segma's to try out. They seem like just the ticket for what I do need snaps for.

Can someone give us a breakdown of the different snaps and their attributes?

Example-

Ligne 24's- strong retention, heavy duty, 4 part system

Ligne 20's-??

Segma- low profile, suitable for??

Glove snaps-??

Any other type...

Thanks.

Line 24 is the standard snap, the DOT and "pull the dot" snaps are all in the line 24 standard size. They come in several different categories from there.

Line 20 is the "little brother" just a smaller version of the 24

Segma, in my experience are the glove snaps. I've never had a really good use for them yet because I tend to make stuff that is used very hard.

My "snap" box has all three in it. When I use a snap its a 24. Most of my 20s I gave to Paul cause he uses them. The glove snaps I've never used and I'd never used the 20s either.

Back