I have decided to Test a $350 Plus STRIDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand it, the blades are dark coming from the heat treater, then they beadblast the lightened areas in.

I think Striders are a tad overpriced, myself. . . but you gotta love the self-appointed "experts" coming around to show everyone just how little they know. :D
Well, that wouldn't be paint.

Relative cost compared to a coating?

Lasts longer than a coating?

As I understand it, the blades are dark coming from the heat treater, then they beadblast the lightened areas in.

I think Striders are a tad overpriced, myself. . . but you gotta love the self-appointed "experts" coming around to show everyone just how little they know. :D

Overpriced they may be... But as long as people buy them and enjoy them, what's the problem? Ed Fowler can explain this much better in his knife talk. People can have different opinions about things, but that doesn't mean that you can (the self appointed experts I mean) spout lies and half-thruths... And the worst thing is that these "experts" never actually handled a Strider knife. (or Busse, or whatever other "cheap" knife that sells for big $$$ and they don't like)
I own a lot of knifes, and I enjoy them all. From the cheapest to the most expensive.

Overpriced they may be... But as long as people buy them and enjoy them, what's the problem? Ed Fowler can explain this much better in his knife talk. People can have different opinions about things, but that doesn't mean that you can (the self appointed experts I mean) spout lies and half-thruths... And the worst thing is that these "experts" never actually handled a Strider knife. (or Busse, or whatever other "cheap" knife that sells for big $$$ and they don't like)
I own a lot of knifes, and I enjoy them all. From the cheapest to the most expensive.

Exactly. I have nothing against Strider, and there are some models I really like. To a lot of people, a $40 knife is overpriced because they bought a bigger one at a gas station for $5.

I wouldn't hire you to scrub urinals. You would probably find a way to get that wrong too.

Beware morons toting inflated egos.

Insults are great for those who have no facts to back their case.

...and yes... I was wrong. Strider did NOT spend money on a nice molybdenum disulfide epoxy coat. They went even cheaper with an oxide dip, and a few passes with a sandblaster to make the stripes (found that on the strider site).

Also on their website, I found that they do indeed have a few Kydex sheaths, but the bulk of the fixed blades shown have those aftermarket nylon/paracord jobs (Kydex lined?), which is what I was referring to. Nice sheaths, and (like I said), more expensive than their blades by a good margin.

I'm really sorry if you folks spent bucketloads of money on Strider blades. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to fill a few folks in on what it takes to mass produce a blade like this, and how little it costs.

When people advertise that their blades are for "hardcore operators around the globe", I expect something that the manufacturer spent actual time and energy to produce (and inspect). Their own website FAQ's list about a half dozen different defects that are out there on various blades (mis-stamps, light stamps, pin misalignments, etc.)

Also just found on their FAQ's, under "How do we make our blades?":
"We water jet cut an oversized blank, then mill the profile". They go on to talk about their CNC machines...

That was my point. Sorry for being right.

As for their folders, I haven't even looked at them. I'm not a folder kind of guy. I'm simply saying that if I were in the market for a "battle blade", I would shop elsewhere. For that kind of money, I'd probably buy something custom, and definitely something bigger. I have hauled blades for well over 20 years, and often through places that you wouldn't want to build a summer home.

-M40-

Yep m40 You're right. I paid about 300$ for a 2$ knfe and a 40$ sheet.:( What should I do now? Cry? Sell it to somebody else?:confused: But now that everybody reads your wisdom I don't have a chance of selling it anymore...:mad:

Well "Rat" and "Jos",

My point that Striders are overpriced is quite well founded and backed not only by my own professional observations, but by the very facts that Strider posts on their own website.

Rat, I think a more apt statement on your part might have been, "beware of me and my wounded ego". I wasn't the one to interject ego, nor was I the one to bring insults into this discussion.

This was a discussion based on whether it was a moral thing to intentionally abuse a blade and then take the company up on their lifetime warranty. There are usually only two reasons that a company will even offer a lifetime warranty. One is that they really trust that their product will hold up to anything. The second is that their profit margins are sufficiently huge that they can afford to replace their product multiple times if necessary (the Craftsman business model). My stipulation that they operate on the latter of these business models wasn't intended to be some kind of insult to you, nor does it call for you to react like a child.

Insults aside, I guarantee you that I have a lot more experience than either of you, both in the use of blades, AND in actually making them. Besides a lot of time in my youth spent working in and around machine shops, I have a decent hobbyist bladesmithing shop in my own basement (sanders, grinders, buffers, drill press, a forge and anvil, and a slew of hand tools). I've worked in quite a few grades of steel, from home-made cable damascus to OCS, and I've done handles and sheaths in most of the more common materials. I'm not in the business of mass producing or even selling blades. I make a few custom blades here and there, both for myself and for friends. I did, however, do my homework before embarking on this hobby.

Anyhow, if someone doesn't like the car I drive, the guns I carry or the knives I buy, that's fine. Slinging insults doesn't change my mind.

In reality, if you two are any indication of the types of people that buy Strider blades, then maybe you've just made my point for me. Nuff said?

-M40-

Well "Rat" and "Jos",

My point that Striders are overpriced is quite well founded and backed not only by my own professional observations, but by the very facts that Strider posts on their own website.

Anyway, nobody said they were not overpriced. Both me and "Rat" agreed at some point that they were.

Well "Rat" and "Jos",

My stipulation that they operate on the latter of these business models wasn't intended to be some kind of insult to you, nor does it call for you to react like a child.

You're probably much older than me anyway... At least twice as old I'd say what with al that experience and all.

Insults aside, I guarantee you that I have a lot more experience than either of you, both in the use of blades, AND in actually making them.

On what do you base that statement?:confused:

Anyhow, if someone doesn't like the car I drive, the guns I carry or the knives I buy, that's fine. Slinging insults doesn't change my mind.

Apparently YOU don't like the knives I buy... I never said I didn't like the knives you buy.

In reality, if you two are any indication of the types of people that buy Strider blades, then maybe you've just made my point for me. Nuff said?

Who is slinging the insults now?

M40's ego is so inflated that he actually doesn't realize he constantly is trying to talk himself up. Maybe he is just insecure?

In any case, it isn't worth the effort of responding. Just add him to your ignore list as I have already done.

M40's ego is so inflated that he actually doesn't realize he constantly is trying to talk himself up. Maybe he is just insecure?

In any case, it isn't worth the effort of responding. Just add him to your ignore list as I have already done.

good advice!

Uh oh, here we go again.
Watch yourself m40, when it comes to these guys your opinion will be heatedly contested.
Whatever you do, do not bring up Busse in any way that could possibly be construed in a negative fashion, or the wild dogs will attack from all directions.
Can we get back on topic here?

Just for the record, guys, I am in no way affiliated with m40 and have no personal stake in any claims he has made or will make in the future.
Any spelling mistakes may or may not occur as a direct result of lack of time to proofread my statements.

Uh oh, here we go again.
Watch yourself m40, when it comes to these guys your opinion will be heatedly contested.
Whatever you do, do not bring up Busse in any way that could possibly be construed in a negative fashion, or the wild dogs will attack from all directions.Can we get back on topic here?

You know for a few posts back, I really thought you were sincere in not taking sides, but after reading this last statement that I bolded, I do believe you do have a stake in this and that you are actually here to help stir the pot. If you were not the only thing you would have said is..."let's get this back on topic" :thumbdn: But you yourself are helping add to the fire. :thumbdn:

Jos and Rat were going back and forth withm40 about strider and YOU were the one to throw in the word "Busse". Again trying to start another series of flame posts no doubt. Luckily I read right through it. I now am quite sure you are no different than anythingsharp in your intent here.:jerkit:

You know for a few posts back, I really thought you were sincere in not taking sides, but after reading this last statement that I bolded, I do believe you do have a stake in this and that you are actually here to help stir the pot. If you were not the only thing you would have said is..."let's get this back on topic" :thumbdn: But you yourself are helping add to the fire. :thumbdn:

Jos and Rat were going back and forth withm40 about strider and YOU were the one to throw in the word "Busse". Again trying to start another series of flame posts no doubt. Luckily I read right through it. I now am quite sure you are no different than anythingsharp in your intent here.:jerkit:

Thanks for pointing that out Cobalt. I'm out of here. No decent discussion possible with these guys.

Okay m40 do this. Buy a CNC machine, Mill, Grinder, etc. Hire 3 or 4 guys to help with production. Go get yourself some S30V, custom colored G10, pins, etc to put the knives together. Take care to track the time involved in the process of making them, because remember labor is a huge cost as well, you got to pay your employees.

Then pay Paul Bos to heat treat them for you (add in the shipping back and forth as well, he's in Idaho, you're in California)

Then add in advertising.

Holy mother of god... I'm relatively new to these forums, and I've had largely good things to say on most of the subjects I cared to comment on. I didn't come here to criticise users.

If, however, I happen to believe that a certain brand or product is overpriced or somehow of lesser quality, I'm going to voice that opinion. I would rather EVERYONE did the same. Otherwise, these forums get very dull indeed.

We can all be a bunch of drooling imbeciles typing words of praise for every knife that falls into our hot little hands, or we can give our honest assessment, GOOD OR BAD. Isn't that what Blade Forums is all about?

Jos, maybe you didn't cast direct insults, but you sure seemed to take some glee in those that were entered. If I mistook your intentions, then please accept my apologies.

As for you, "Rat", you can go right ahead and ignore me. I really couldn't care less, because you're a pretender. You're a graphic designer who sits in his home and plays with blades because it makes you feel like a tough guy.

You've never had to REALLY use a blade. You've never been a thousand miles from anywhere, and been forced to trust your life to a chunk of metal and wood.

Likewise, you've never hammered a brightly glowing billet of steel on an anvil, and felt the hammer bite deep. You don't have the slightest clue of what makes one blade better than the next beyond how "cool" it looks.

How's your Hibben collection, poser?

...and that's.... the rest of the story.

M-40,

Is everyone who has a Strider or a Busse or whatever knife you deem overpriced a Poser ?

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back