If you had to pick one Victorinox, which one would it be?

Or read the manufacturer's stamps on knives. Years ago I could focus on the date of say a penny at nose length or closer... forget it now! That was clearly the first sign of aging that I noticed.
A few years ago an old friend I have hunted with over a lifetime that was dying from scleroderma that I took to Dr. appointments and the hospital brought out a Beretta 96 INOX one day to show me and I thought the sights were pretty good. Then he said, "step out back in the sunlight and tell me what you think." They were horrible! Reflective surfaces and cataracts are not very compatible.

This has been an interesting thread - I'm going to go back through it again. I like reading thought exercises such as this.

For me, it would be a Pioneer, but it's blade is long enough to be in the "dangerous weapon" prohibited realm for federal properties. To have something I could have with me the most places, the blade would have to be less than 2.5 inches. So probably a small Tinker. Although I could probably be happy with the Alox Cadet.

I carried a black Spartan for years as a boy scout and young naval sailor. It got lost and I never replaced it.
I've been thinking of re-entering the Vic world with a Handyman, between tweaking stuff on the manufacturing line I support and chores on the farm, it looks like it covers all the bases.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
I carried a black Spartan for years as a boy scout and young naval sailor. It got lost and I never replaced it.
I've been thinking of re-entering the Vic world with a Handyman, between tweaking stuff on the manufacturing line I support and chores on the farm, it looks like it covers all the bases.
Thoughts?

Brian, I don’t think you could go wrong with a Handyman at all. I’d be curious to see if you’d change your mind after a few months and pick a different model based on tool set?

The Electrician.
24714841410_bda46f586c_h.jpg

I like having that small secondary blade

Brian, I don’t think you could go wrong with a Handyman at all. I’d be curious to see if you’d change your mind after a few months and pick a different model based on tool set?

I'm a bit concerned about how thick it'll be, keep kicking around the idea of a deluxe tinker instead....

Always a trade off with Vics, tool variety vs. thickness. Just thought I'd point out many people carry the thicker models clip to their belt. Victorinox makes excellent leather belt pouches in several sizes. Something to consider for the larger SAKs! BTW, welcome to the Forum Brian! -James

I'm a bit concerned about how thick it'll be, keep kicking around the idea of a deluxe tinker instead....
For in pocket carry, two layers max. Some say three max.... I recently purchased the Vic 580 nail clippers (knife) and due to the clippers, it's the thickness of a three layer SAK. So, on the sub sizes, I could probably handle three layers but not on normal sized ones (say Tinker-Pioneer size). I carry a One Handed Trekker (111mm 3-layer) hiking/woods wandering in my carry bag/pack as I think the larger 111mm size is better for the woods and it has a saw which can be quite useful in the woods cutting walking sticks or stakes.

I carried a two layer 111mm SAK for many years and only in the last year or so downsized to the Small Tinker for pocket carry.

If making a mistake on size troubles you, I would visit a store where you can handle one in person before you choose.

I carry a SOG zoom with a 3.5" tanto blade for heavy cutting work daily, but I'm always in need of a screwdriver pliers etc. to compliment it.
I'm really torn and think I need to handle both the deluxe tinker and the handyman to see what I can handle thickness wise.

So I got my Deluxe Tinker today, it is pretty thick but so far I think totally liveable, especially now that I ran it across my Lansky ultra fine stone. I'm not a huge fan of the scissors and I might at some point swap them out for a different tool but for now I'm just going to enjoy it.

Either the Ambassador, which I carried for years, or the Executive which I recently learned, bought and now carry. I always carry a larger folder clipped into my opposite pocket. I use the toothpick, tweezers, nail file, and scissors far more than the blades of a SAK. I do keep a couple of old Champion Plus models in each vehicle and have Cadets, Pioneers, Farmers, Climbers, Classics, OHTs, and a few other assorted SAKs but none would be an only for me. I don't need to use a SAK to turn screws very often and can't think of the last time I did.

If there is a Cellidor SAK with a blade, nail file, scissors, cork screw, and awl that wasn't too big or loaded with other tools, I'd love to know the model.

Edited to add: Looks like the Evolution S14 models come pretty close but has the openers. Might try one for fun.

Except for the awl, the compact has the tools that you mention and is only two layers. IMHO, it is perfect for a day in the office or a casual walk around town.
For a walk in the woods, I like to carry one with a saw, usually a Huntsman.

Regarding the OP's original question, I haven't fully decided. I think that the Handyman is probably really, really close, but I wouldn't want to carry it on a daily basis -- too heavy. (For daily carry, I usually won't take anything weighing more than ~3oz.)

After two years of carrying it and having tried a bunch of other SAK's along the way my answer is going to have to be the Spartan. Yeah, the simplest, ubiquitous, boring model they make. It just works for me and I'm using it constantly throughout the day every day.

sakblack2.jpg

Back