If you were MacGyver, what SAK would you bring?

Ok, the easy answer would be SwissChamp, but we all know that the SwissChamp is to heavy for pocket carry. So wich one would you choose??

I myself would have a hard time to choose between Climber and Camper...

He should[video=youtube_share;CzYqmljrDb4]http://youtu.be/CzYqmljrDb4[/video] carry something bigger.

A Climber (armed, of course, with the little eyeglasses screwdriver in the corkscrew) would be a good choice.

A Climber (armed, of course, with the little eyeglasses screwdriver in the corkscrew) would be a good choice.

A Classic, or better yet, Rambler. That's to supplement his Wave, the multi-tool he should be carrying these days. Remember, the series was filmed BL*

*before Leatherman

Explorer plus. still small enough to carry and comes with a pen.

A Classic, or better yet, Rambler. That's to supplement his Wave, the multi-tool he should be carrying these days. Remember, the series was filmed BL*

*before Leatherman

Is that really true? I faintlly remember having a PST in the late 80s and I thought the series ran maybe mid 80s to early 90s?

But definitely before the Wave was produced, right?

*before Leatherman

I think the TV show came on in 1985, while Leatherman started in 1983.

But they still would not have been well known at that time, so the SAK had the international recognition thing going for them.

Good question, he looks like he is attached to a tinker though:

[video=youtube;Pp8vbwz0Teg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp8vbwz0Teg[/video]

The XLT...... :D

SCXLT3_zpswwsmgtae.jpg

Is that really true? I faintlly remember having a PST in the late 80s and I thought the series ran maybe mid 80s to early 90s?

But definitely before the Wave was produced, right?

I think the TV show came on in 1985, while Leatherman started in 1983.

But they still would not have been well known at that time, so the SAK had the international recognition thing going for them.

I was thinking of when Leathermen became popular, or at least when they came to my attention. Maybe I just came late to the party, but I hadn't even known about Leatherman tools before 1997. By then, most workers and tradesmen had Leathermen or Gerbers hanging on their belts, replacing the Buck 110s that used to be part of the dress code. But MacGyver was none of those things, so he could carry whatever the script writers liked.
According to Wikipedia, the show ran from 1985 to 1992.

SAK usage in MacGyver
Number of times each knife was used through the show's seven seasons

Spartan 14
Tinker 11
Standard (old Spartan) 11
Picnicker 10
Climber 7
Tinker small 7
Recruit 6
Executive 6
Sportsman 3
Tourist 3
Recruit Economy 5
Super Tinker 2
Camper 2
Huntsman 3
Compact 2
Fisherman 1
Adventurer 1
Golfer 1
Wenger Handyman 1
Wenger Classic 11 1
Wenger Pocketmate 1

Episodes with no SAK used 42
Unidentified 16

Thanks for the statistics to MacGyver Online.

http://www.macgyveronline.com/pages/saks.html

If I were MacGyver? I considered a Dual Pro X, because I don't own one and it interests me. But on mature reflection, I believe I would chose Amanda Tapping.

[video=youtube;7PdY3L-JYzk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PdY3L-JYzk[/video]

Last edited:
I was thinking of when Leathermen became popular, or at least when they came to my attention. Maybe I just came late to the party, but I hadn't even known about Leatherman tools before 1997. By then, most workers and tradesmen had Leathermen or Gerbers hanging on their belts, replacing the Buck 110s that used to be part of the dress code. But MacGyver was none of those things, so he could carry whatever the script writers liked.
According to Wikipedia, the show ran from 1985 to 1992.

Yeah, that's logical. Also back then the PST was the only Leatherman. I carried that and my trusty Timex Ironman!

But anyway, back to the topic, if I WERE MacGyver I would bring th Sportsman. I love that little thing!

Yeah, that's logical. Also back then the PST was the only Leatherman. I carried that and my trusty Timex Ironman!

But anyway, back to the topic, if I WERE MacGyver I would bring th Sportsman. I love that little thing!

I don't know. Only recently I started using a Sportsman, "love that little thing" too, but it seems more for casual use than a "serious" SAK that could get you out of a burning building or disarm a ticking bomb. Since I have a couple of those, too, I'm in good shape, but I worry about MacGyver when he has nothing but a Sportsman on him to save the situation. But after all, he is MacGyver, and thanks to the help of a platoon sized production staff, he gets it done.

Small Tinker or Super Tinker would be the first two choices, with a plain-edged OHT running a distant third.

Had he used an Alox Farmer, the show would have been entering its 30th season in exactly 4 days from now; instead, it's buried in that scrap heap of shoulda', coulda', woulda' popular TV shows.;)

Back