I'm confused about multi tools

OK so I'm a 16 year old who likes knives and this is my first time entering this part of the site.

I've been looking into getting a good first multi tool. Budget of $50 preferably USA made. I was looking at the Gerber M600

Should I spend more or is that a good price range? I'm willing to go up to a hundred for one multi tool to last me the rest of my life

Last edited:
I think it depends on what tools you want/need to have.
Think about how you will really use it. If you will use a saw once in the next five years, you can probably live with out it.
I don't have any specific recommendations, but don't carry what you don't need.
The more expensive multi tools tend to have a nicer fit, the tools open smoothly but aren't loose with a lot of play.
But the less expensive ones are still a damn good value for the money.
I hate to be the one to tell you, but I'll bet you end up buying more than one over the years. I have bought a lot of them, and I still picked up another one a couple of months ago.
Probably not the answer you were looking for, but......

well, just one for the rest of your life is likely a bit ambitious if you've never had a multitool before and only want to spend $50. I would leave yourself open to the reality of buying a few different ones over the years and finding out what you like. A 'good first multitool' is distinctly different than 'the last multitool you'll ever have to buy'.

A Leatherman Wave is a good all-around multitool, as is the Surge (which is a bit bigger). The Victorinox Spirit (the perfect mutlitool in my opinion) and Swisstool are really well made multitools as well. But to get to even these 4 choices, I've owned SOG, Gerber, several other models of Leatherman, and others over the years. It also is entirely dependent on what your needs are. Maybe you don't want a big multitool, but want something really compact; this affects what you'll buy. You may find that a couple of different tools fill different roles at different times. I carry a fully stocked Spirit with the ratchet and bits most of the time, but sometimes carry only a Leatherman Skeletool if don't want a bulky sheath on my belt. And then of course, there's having a spare.

I'd start with a Wave (mainly because it's a bit less expensive than the Spirit), and figure out what you like and don't like about it. Then in awhile think about trying another model if there seems to be a compelling reason to try another tool.

Sorry guys thought I had added a thing in there about going up to a hundred for something that would last me a lifetime! :)

I carried a Mulitool from my 16th birthday, everyday, or very nearly so since then, so that means I've been carrying one for just a little longer than not. In that time I've changed tools, locations and jobs. Here's my advice.
Get a leatherman Rebar, or if you want a bigger one, get a 300. Here's why, they are a solid tool, with a great warranty, you'll get really good use out of it, and learn what you like, and don't like.
They don't have outside opening tools, and that's in purpose. You can belt carry them almost anywhere, but you won't accidentally surprise anyone if you go to use it. By opening the handles to access the blades, it becomes clear that its a multitool, and not just a knife. As a young guy that is a huge difference, and it will separate you from the crowd a bit. Depending on what you start doing for work, you may or may not be able to carry it. But I can say that from my perspective as a supervisor, I like it when it looks like someone has to think about using a knife, rather than just pulling it out and cutting. Having that time to make sure its the tool for the job is a good thing in my book. And not going to lie, when I was 18-20, I impressed more than one potential boss that I thought to carry a tool to a job interview. You just gotta know when and where.

Also as a younger person, you have a better reason to carry something that is much more clearly not a weapon.

And if you want outside accessible blades, you won't go wrong with a Wave.

With multi-tools, price is a bit hard to gauge. Its less, is 100$ a good price for a tool, as it is, is 100$ fair for THIS tool. There are great 50-70$ tools (Like the rebar) and there are a lot of junky tools that can be found in that price as well. I think thought that the tools I've listed are worth the asking price generally, and even if I had to spend a little more on them, they are great tools that will last a long time. You will buy more tools eventually, but any of these will last you 10 years, and by the time you are 26, you will have a lot more knowledge and a better idea of what you want.

The Leatherman Wave is a good, quality multitool, but considering how many of them I've worn out or broken, I can't say one would last you a lifetime. In fact, if you use your tools as often and as hard as I do, I doubt there has ever been anything made that would.

Your 16. You don't know what hobbies, interests, or vocations you will have 20 years from now. Luckily, if you get a quality multi tool, you can always sell it to help purchase another one if you need to.

First off, it would help if you knew what you would generally use it for. Generally speaking, know that multi tools suck compared to using a real task specific tool for any one job. I can do 10 times as much work with 1/10th the effort with a small $15 ratcheting screwdriver vs a $150 multi tool.

Second, you have to think of what you really would use it for in your lifestyle. Are you usually snowboarding when you need a tool? Are you often camping? Are you mostly working on electrical equipment? Do you mostly make wood craft like spoons and bowls? A multi tool is already a compromise of size and weight for performance of a real tool. Most multi tools have advantages and disadvantages based on who the target audience is.

Generally speaking, if you want a multi tool centered around pliers and wire snips, Leatherman is usually the popular choice (although some people like Gerber and Sog). If you want a multi tool centered around a knife, Victorinox Swiss Army knives are popular.

Personally, I started with a Sog paratool 20 years ago, switched to a Vic Rucksack, then LM Juice (which is still my favorite all around multi tool), and then went crazy with all sorts of Vic's and LM's of all different sizes and price ranges (and one tiny Gerber). I'm currently either carrying a LM Crater c33tx plus a LM Squirt, or a Juice S2 with a Benchmade folder... Although for traveling I still use my old Juice S2 (Cs4 if I'm thinking of camping).

My friend has been working on 18 wheelers for decades and goes deer hunting. He won't give up his Gerber Suspension, but he also has $15k of his own personal tools which he uses while at work.

Last edited:
This might help lessen your confusion.

If you plan to own and use it for long, I suggest going for the Leatherman Wave.

I'd second the Vic Spirit as the best pliers-focused multi-tool, mine is 10 years old and still going strong. It would also go well with the 'carrying something that's clearly not a weapon' theory someone else mentioned above due to its sheepsfoot tip-less blade.

Lifetime multitools are almost a fantasy, be it because breakage, loss or pure addiction, but if I could only have one for the rest of my life it'd be the Vic Spirit.
Victorinox Swisstool, LM ST300, LM Rebar, and LM Surge would follow.
Gerbers and SOGs are very nice, but generally not as versatile and complete (in regards to tool set) for EDC or different situations..
As you didn't say what would you need the most (pliers, blade, drivers, etc.) the most balanced options are the Vic Spirit, Vic Swisstool, LM Surge, LM Wave, Gerber Diesel, at least in my opinion.

Tell us what you choose!

I highly doubt you will buy just one. But if you stick to the plan, I will have to second the Leatherman Wave. This is one of the defining Leathermans and one of the defining plier multitools. It represents the classic Leatherman paradigm but also incorporates the modern features you expect like outside accessible locking tools and the Leatherman bit. And it will have the higher end fit, finish, and class Leatherman is capable of that will keep you happy.

OK so I camp a lot but I also work a lot. I also started looking into a SOG Powerassist which I really like the look of. I would like it to have phillips and flat head screwdriver, pliers obviously, possibly a saw of some sort and a dedicated knife. I've like the look of the SOG because it seems to hit all those boxes at $60 ish. The other thing I have been looking at based off of your guys suggestions is the Rebar and I do like the look of it. So should I go for the SOG or the Leatherman? Please discuss

I don't recommend the Powerassist for your first MT. SOG is ok, but they're not the pinnacle of the Multitool world.

IMO, The absolute best MT in the world, bar none, is the Victorinox Swisstool Spirit. Looking online it seems like the prices have driven up past $100, but even at that price it's completely worth it.

The only other MT I would think about recommending is the Leatherman Wave or Rebar. The Wave is larger and has the main blades opening from the outside, the Rebar is lighter while retaining the entire toolset from the Wave, except the scissors. It's a really nice compact package. and would be my choice if you just can't stretch your funds for a Spirit.

I don't think the Sog Powerassist or the regular LM Rebar have saws... Although I'm on my phone so I just skimmed through the options. I think both of those have started knives which are terrible for sawing wood.

I believe the knifeless LM Rebar (REI lists it on their website) has a saw and scissors (for me, a scissors is a huge plus)... but you would need to carry a separate knife for a regular blade then.

Something else to consider... are you going to carry this in a belt pouch or in your pocket? Do you want a Multitool with a pocket clip? What about weight? An 8oz multitool carried around in a pocket weighs down your pocket more than you think.

I don't think the Sog Powerassist or the regular LM Rebar have saws... Although I'm on my phone so I just skimmed through the options. I think both of those have started knives which are terrible for sawing wood.

I believe the knifeless LM Rebar (REI lists it on their website) has a saw and scissors (for me, a scissors is a huge plus)... but you would need to carry a separate knife for a regular blade then.

The regular Rebar has a saw, the Powerassist doesn't. The knifeless removes both blades and only adds scissors.

The regular Rebar has a saw, the Powerassist doesn't. The knifeless removes both blades and only adds scissors.
My bad. I will also mention, that for me it's hard for me to carry a multitool with just a nail nick now that I've been spoiled with one hand openers... although my beloved Juice is a nail nick. With my Sog Paratool, half the time I was afraid it would bite me when I opened up the blade or adjacent tools (among some of it's other not-so-user friendly traits). I can't speak to the Rebar, as I've been wanting to pick one up for some time, but I never can come to pulling the trigger on one when I see them in the store... plus, I'm partial to the knife less version for the scissors.

Hi! I have a SOG Power Assist since at least 8 years :). A FOX/SOG collaboration. I like it very much and it's basically my one and only MT :thumbsup:. It's a regular EDC item but it normally goes in one of the pouches of the Maxpedition Fatboy :D. It's a good MT for me and it has a saw, actually a quite good one. Good luck with your choice!

24muj5u.jpg
24fxtnb.jpg
33k3pk3.jpg

I like Gerbers. I believe that their one hand access to the pliers is great but that's pretty much where my love for them stops. If I were you I would get the Leatherman OHT. It is a great mutltitool with one hand opening for pliers and access to all the tools when the thing is closed. I carried gerbers (600 and diesel) than went the typical route of Lt Wave than Lt Charge. When OHT came out I picked it up and never looked back. It does everything I need. Is it a perfect package? No but like every tool you learn it's capabilities.

So many things to consider here. Both Rebar, Spirit, Wave have excellent saws, very capable and much better than Gerber's or SOGs.
If you want nice Phillips and flathead, I just can't recommend getting a SOG. Their Phillips are infamous because they don't seem to fit any screw size well, and most people have all kinds of trouble with the Phillips drivers and the (soft, badly shaped and weak) flatheads.

13178954_1076193042442541_3429444022302452981_n_zpsua6mbrgp.jpg

In fact, many of us take them out or swap them by the excellent Leatherman Long Phillips (like I did on my SOG Powerlock below)

13179024_1076193005775878_7971163294845668038_n_zpsxbxu2bzu.jpg

The Rebar has this big nice Phillips driver as well, similar to the Spirit Phillips driver. The Wave has both flathead and Phillips in the form of one double sided bit for the bit driver. Occupies less space, but can't handle much torque or reach recessed screws, a big disadvantage IMO) but has many shortcomings and you can lose the bit.

The Wave is also heavier, has worse ergos than those two (many people can't stand the Wave's sharp edges and corners) but can be carried via pocket clip. DOesn't have replaceable wire cutters like the Rebar does.
IMO, all can be summed up in:

Wave -
+ Has nice scissors, best file (diamond), swappable bits, OHO Blade, Clip
- Heaviest of the three, short reach and strength drivers, non-repl. wire cutters

Spirit -
+ Most complete & diverse toolset, perfect ergos, super stainless, outside accessible tools
- No clip, standard pen/butter blade, not-needlenose, warranty if outside the US

Rebar -
+ Beastly built, replaceable cutters, sturdy drivers and tools, slim and light, price
- Not outside opening tools, no scissors, locks are slow and basic

So, to me, the best options for a "one forever tool" or your first experience in the multitool world, I'd pick a Spirit or a Rebar and not look back!

Back