I'm confused about multi tools

Got a -Leatherman MUT, super solid but big and heavy, room for extra driver bits! Keep it in my truck. -Charge titanium, again quite solid, more tools and smaller but no built in room for extra bits, still on the heavy side, S30v blade! -Juice c2, small and light, not as sturdy but great for edc. Keep a SAK vagabond on my keys, very handy but light duty. Got a couple other small guys(Leatherman and gerber)but nothing I'd consider a lifelong tool really. I don't know that there's a perfect multitool for me(I always carry a knife so have no need for a blade on my tool) but I think the Charge is as close to it for me and I know it will last long enough for my kids to fight over one day, probably grandkids!

Last edited:
A lot of Army surplus stores sell like new Mil-Surp leatherman blast's for around 40$ and I don't think one would do you wrong.
I don't own the blast, but I have carried it's less feature packed brother the leatherman fuse every single day for the past 5 yrs and can honestly say that it'll probably be the only full sized pliers based multitool I ever carry unless I get a blast. The blast has everything the fuse has as well as a metal file , a reversible micro driver , as well as some other tools.
I also see like new Gerber multitools MIL-Surps at surplus stores ( I believe Army eod gets a leatherman and USMC gets the gerber )

One important thing that I've found is that the knife on a multitool just isn't the same as regular folder / pocket knife. Like everything else on a multitool it's there and it works, but a knife is used enough that a dedicated blade is the best go to cutting tool.

If I had to choose just one of my multitools, it would be the leatherman wave.

I only have 2 issues with it.

1) pliers - often times I need jaws that open much wider
2) heavy weight. This is not a pocket edc, it requires a sheath/pouch/belt carry

Leatherman Rebar! I own tons of multi tools primarily Leatherman and a few gerbers. I wrote off gerber years ago and haven't looked back. I have a deep and profound love for the LM Rebar! I know you will too! Plus a 25 year no questions asked warranty! Made in Portland
,Oregon. Many people will recommend the Leatherman Wave for around 90$ That's a good option too. I'd start with the Rebar if you like it than down the road get a wave.
A new Rebar is around 55$ I got mine from Ebay for 38$

OK so I'm probably going to pick up a Rebar at the end of the month. Anything I should know about it?

You should know that:

20170201_100005_zps26di26lz.jpg

a. You won't regret it, it's one of the best -if not the best- heavy duty, med. size multitools out there together with the Spirit. A true well built, sensibly thought out and cleverly designed tool.
b. You'll want to pair it with a SAK, Micra or Squirt (or other tool that has scissors) because that' the main, major and most discussed over drawback of this tool.
c. Use it and abuse it as much as you want, know it's tough and durable and if you somehow manage to break it, you've got the incredible 25yr. Leatherman warranty that will take care of it!

20170222_174811_zps2wktjjiv.jpg

Of all the larger pliers based multi-tools, the Victorinox Spirit is my favorite. I have SOGs and Gerbers also. My first was a Gerber around 1990. The Gerbers (of the name brands) tend to be the lowest quality, but certainly less expensive.

What I found is that they are really cool tools to have if you are willing to carry one regularly. I am not willing to carry one regularly, but I keep one in my field bag that stays in my vehicle where I can retrieve things as I need them. The pliers is the most used item. Ultimately, in terms of carry, I have settled on the little Leatherman Squirt PS4 which stays in my pocket on keys. I use it more often than I would have ever believed and the pliers is good. If I need something bigger or more robust, I have the larger multi-tool inside my vehicle. I generally think the larger multi-tools are just too heavy to carry on your belt all the time unless you use them. It has to be more often than once a week use to justify the weight, more like once a day. So the Squirt is my favorite and if I don't want a blade, I carry the Leatherman Style PS. I definitely lean away from the scissors based multi-tools for day to day use unless I know I'll use it often. The pliers is just too handy.

Ok, I'm a bit intrigued and was wondering where you get the clips for your SAK and Leatherman from?

20161214_081912_zps7ih5lrmr.jpg

It's a copy from the original P7 Suspension clip design, but works excellently and is 1/5th of the price. I get them from either the big auction site or a Chinese website (cannot post a link) called Gearbest, just search for "Suspension clip", "EDC Clip" or "Stainless clip" in the website's search bar or Google search bar itself. :thumbsup:

20161220_134322_zpsb6h5u2zy.jpg

I like Gerbers. I believe that their one hand access to the pliers is great but that's pretty much where my love for them stops. If I were you I would get the Leatherman OHT. It is a great mutltitool with one hand opening for pliers and access to all the tools when the thing is closed. I carried gerbers (600 and diesel) than went the typical route of Lt Wave than Lt Charge. When OHT came out I picked it up and never looked back. It does everything I need. Is it a perfect package? No but like every tool you learn it's capabilities.

I have a OHT and it has just about everything I need on it in is fairly compact. I really like the way the pliers come out. I can just pinch it and flock my wrist down and they poo out. I did break one side of the pliers off as they are not really intended for hard work. I printed out the warranty but have yet to mail it fit some reason.

Admittedly there are multitudes of plier tools out there.
And it's staggering to have to make a single best choice
from the many size, weight and blade tool configurations.
Rather than falling for overly complicated design preferences,
Think along the lines of simplicity and sturdiness of the package instead.
For that reason I found both the victorinox swiss spirit and tool to be
Completely reliable and robust
As they come with its superb fit and finishing.
Best of luck finding yours.

Back