In Memory of James K Mattis - Please leave your thoughts here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read this entire thread. James' death comes as a physical blow, though I never met the man in person. What insight he had!

Even as we work to bring out knife designs in his honor, it's important to remember his other commitments and work toward them. I suggest that more online dealers adopt the "Good Karma Cut"--and that buyers institute it privately in their own purchases. What would the world be like if there were one hundred men like the singular JKM?

Viking Proverb from the Havamal:

Cattle die, Kindred die,
Every man is mortal,
But the good name never dies
Of one who has done well.

Looks like Mr. Mattis will always be with us...

Chris Canis

I am deeply saddened.

I wish I could be so eloquent, so wise, so tactful, so honest, and so knowledgeable about such a wide variety of things as was our dear friend James Mattis. I wish I could say this better.

I'm a better person for having known him.

David Rock

I'm glad I had the oportunity to meet and talk to him. I will return to my shop with a lump in my throat. This is a great loss.
James and his family will be in my prayers.
Neil

I am totally, completely stunned. Not to mention saddened. I had only gotten to know him through here, some emails, and getting to talk a couple of times on IRC. I remember the last time that I was on, I was talking to him about a thread over on the Camillus forum about a Camillus puuko.... I just can't imagine.... man, this is awful.

frown.gif

------------------
iktomi

I just found out about James passing, I bless him and his family and I will miss his input on these forums. We will miss you James, God bless you.
Devan

My condolences to the Mattis family. James is one of the good guys. I am sorry that I did not get to know him better.

Will

I never met Mr. Mattis in person yet I feel that I have lost a friend. My prayers go out to the Mattis family. We will all miss him. I already do.

-Steven

I'm extremely shocked. James's posts were both enlightening and entertaining at the same time and he was a font of information for the rest of us. He was a great person, something that often can't be conveyed through the medium of BBS posts. He will be missed and his family has my condolences.

------------------
Simon Yu

"The said Constitution [shall] be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience, or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms." Samuel Adams

I got to meet James for the first time this year. He was a good person and may he rest in the bosum of Abraham.

I am sad. I only "e-spoke" with James once. I sent him a one line question about one of his Scandinavian knives. He replied with 5 paragraphs filled with enthusiasm. From this and from reading his posts on the forums it was evident that he was a gem amongst us. I regret all the conversations I didn't have with him.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Bob Mikus

------------------
"The search is half the fun!"

Toni,

Everyone at Emerson Knives wishes to extend their deepest condolences to you and your family for your great loss.

We hope it is some comfort to know how much James meant to this community and that his legacy of knowledge, kindness, and humor will live on here.

Sincerely,
Ernest R. Emerson

Jim was a great asset to all of our lives and he will be missed. There is a void here that will not be filled.

------------------
Mike Melone

"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. " Psalm 144:1
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson

Toni.

We know each other thru Himalayan Import BladeForums ... very short while ... his postings were always bring joy ... what can I say here is just: Inna-li-(A)llaahi-wa-inna-ilaihi-rooji'uun!

NEPAL HO

James was s kind, wise Gentle man indeed. He was a voice of reason and justness in our community.
He turned me on to Bob E. several years ago and pointed the way to making my own knives from blanks.
I was shocked to hear of his passing and still reeling days later.
Toni and family - my heartfelt condolensces, he was a fine man.

John A Franklin

I'm not often at a loss for words... but they fail me now.

Sadness.... Loss.... Silence.... A gentle rain in the heart. The wind sighs.

Sayonara, James.

DW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back