Information on USN KA-BAR sought.

I have the ww2 mk2 but without the sheath . This week , I'm having a sheath made for it . The bluing is mostly worn on mine but the steel is in damn good shape . I have a number of stick knives but the mk2 is a favorite and is about as tuff knife as I'd ever imagine . I really love it . Minus small fine tasks , it's a great all around survival camp knife . Enjoy your find !!

The narrow tang joins the blade with right angles - stress risers. It was produced by the bidders that won bidding. I suggest that you not treat it as a particularly "tough" knife if you want to enjoy it for years. As a cutting tool, it will give you years of enjoyment.

According to Sac Troop, who has seen the specs, the specs have included a 1/32" radius at the tang/blade junction since at least 1962. These would be the Utica, Connetta and Camillus versions of the VN era, and the post-VN Camilluses (Camilli??) and Ontarios.

The last I heard, he hasn't found any WW2 specs that include the radius.

I have the ww2 mk2 but without the sheath

"These modern production KA-BAR® knives are made to the same specifications as the original. " Cole National Corp, owner of the Kaq-Bar brand at the time.

"Monday, December 6, 2010
KA-BAR USMC Fighting Knife Review
. . .
In 1996, KA-BAR assets were purchased by Alcas corporation. The blueprints and tooling for the KA-BAR USMC Knife were resurrected and now they're back in production. They're a little bit of history you can be proud to own and carry in the field hunting.

These modern production KA-BAR knives are made to the same specifications as the original. "

2013 posted here by Ka-Bar rep
"The narrow tang with squared shoulders? There are radii at the corners of the shoulders so stress risers shouldn't find a notch. Could the radii be bigger? Could be; but now the guard and washers will have to be redesigned and reproduced. Big tooling costs."

Every tool has its limits. It's up to us as users to respect reality.

Last edited:
Back