Information on Victorinox Eurosport line

Hello,
I was wondering if someone might know something about the Victorinox Eurosport line that is (usually) sold at much cheaper prices than the regular cellidor Victorinoxes. From online research, mostly through this forum, I've learned:
1) The matte nylon scales are the same as the Econoline series
2) Steel and liners are the same as regular cellidor models
3) The Econoline series, aside from the nylon scales, have only spot checks done as QA/QC rather than a more thorough "walk and talk" process done on the cellidor models.

So my question: is the Eurosport the same as the Econoline series, including the spot check QA/QC? Or is it simply a nylon-scaled Vic series?

Any input appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I bought a 14 function Victorinox Eurosport yesterday on sale for $7.90 (US) at Fry's. It is my first Eurosport model and I was a bit disappointed after I opened the packaging.

Once exposed, the red scales looked dull, though they appeared shiny when the knife was still sealed in the plastic packaging. OK, I can get used to that.

The knife blades and tools seem on par with the higher end models.

But, the back springs are too small, so they are recessed. This exposes the bottoms of the liners which feel sharp and unfinished when I hold the Eurosport. I tried to round over the edges of the liners using a small file with limited success.

Ultraman said:
Hello,
I was wondering if someone might know something about the Victorinox Eurosport line....
Well, I'm not Buehler, however, I ran a search for "Ecoline," dating all the way back to the beginning of BladeForums. I believe that's another name for the Victorinox SAKs with the red matte nylon handles. In the US, Victorinox seems to add a "II" designation after the name, for the dull-red matte/nylon handled SAKs. I discovered that when I went on a "shopping spree" for Vic Sportsman IIs at a Walgreens clearance sale, last fall. Here's a thread about it.

This link will take you to the official online Victorinox web site, ECO Line. The Victorinox Ecoline models don't seem to "feature" the semi-locking at the 90-degree angle, as do the regular red cellidor-handled models. I miss that particular feature, myself.

One cool thing is what is stamped on the reverse of the blade on the Victorinox ECO Line Sportsmans/Sportsman IIs:

OfficierSuisse.jpg

Does anyone know the history of the Cross and crossbow symbols...?

GeoThorn

Many thanks for the responses, inspira, parnass and geothorn .

I got the spartan equivalent, and some posts I've read before note how the nylon gives a better grip. Good observation about the recessed springs, I didn't notice that. I checked my cellidor tinker and think the springs are also recessed. So I'm not sure what to make of that, but if the springs are smaller than the regular line, they may not last as long? (but probably long enough!)

There was a thread on the cross bow and cross symbols somewhere, probably from Unknown VT. I found it on the "minimalist SAKs" thread (great thread btw). Not a history but it shows a progression of this symbol:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260053&page=6&highlight=minimalist

Thanks again!

Ultraman said:
I got the spartan equivalent, and some posts I've read before note how the nylon gives a better grip. Good observation about the recessed springs, I didn't notice that. I checked my cellidor tinker and think the springs are also recessed. So I'm not sure what to make of that, but if the springs are smaller than the regular line, they may not last as long? (but probably long enough!)
Here's a link to the Ecoline Sportsman/Sportsman II. It's an 84mm model, matte red nylon scales, large blade, nail file (instead of short blade) combo can-opener/small screw driver, combo cap-lifter/medium screw driver, corkscrew, awl with eye, toothpick and tweezers. Two layers and twelve functions is a great compact package!

Ultraman said:
There was a thread on the cross bow and cross symbols somewhere, probably from Unknown VT. I found it on the "minimalist SAKs" thread (great thread btw). Not a history but it shows a progression of this symbol:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260053&page=6&highlight=minimalist

Thanks again!
Thank you for that link! Apparently the Cross and crossbow stamped into the blade along with "OFFICIER SUISSE" means that it's an official officer-carried SAK. Just goes to show you, you learn something new everyday!

GeoThorn

fry's has the 14 function eurosport for $7.99 and the10 function for $4.99. personally I like the grippy scales better.I bought about 20 of both modles and they all work great.

inspira said:
"The umbrella is actually a crossbow and is a stamp of quality offered only to manufacturers who produce and maintain a strict quality level. It is a very cherished mark for manufacturers. Both Victorinox and Wenger carry this stamp, and no other knives do."
From FAQ: http://sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=93&Itemid=61
Thanks, inspira! Your answer seems to also answer one of Ultraman's questions, concerning the Victorinox Ecoline quality assurance/quality control:
Ultraman said:
3) The Econoline series, aside from the nylon scales, have only spot checks done as QA/QC rather than a more thorough "walk and talk" process done on the cellidor models.

So my question: is the Eurosport the same as the Econoline series, including the spot check QA/QC? Or is it simply a nylon-scaled Vic series?
Inspira, do I need to register at sosak in order to take your thoughtfully provided link?

Thanks again!
GeoThorn

geothorn said:
The Victorinox Ecoline models don't seem to "feature" the semi-locking at the 90-degree angle, as do the regular red cellidor-handled models. I miss that particular feature, myself.

GeoThorn

I believe that this 90 degree semi-locking feature you refer to is not limited by the Ecoline series, but by the size of the SAK. I assume the tool that you refer to in this case is the large screwdriver/bottle opener? From my experience this tool locks on the 91mm SAKs and not on the 84mm SAKs, regardless of weather they are standard celidor scales or nylon scales found on the Ecoline series. I have the nylon scaled version of the Spartan (91mm) and that has the screwdriver/bottle opener that locks at 90 degrees and the Sportsman (84mm) that does not lock.

I believe this misconception may run along the lines to a previous thread where it was initially believed that the Ecoline series SAKs had a thinner metal for the main blade, but was later corrected to say that the thinner metal was found on all 84mm SAKs, regardless of weather they were Ecoline or not.

As far as I am aware the Elonine series SAK are identical in every way to the stardard celidor SAKs except that they have nylon scales. It makes sense really as these are mass produced and why would they have different machinery and tooling equipment which would lead to added costs for a tool that is sold cheaper? It is just marketing,

Thanks, gatch, for helping to correct me. I only have one Ecoline model, the Sportsman II (which is also my only 84mm SAK model...), so I don't have any other 84mm SAKs to compare it to.

You're quite right, however, that because Victorinox is mass-producing their knives, it'd be silly to have different manufacturing methods for different length models. The Victorinox Ecolines are reduced-cost models, but, that cost reduction is only achieved through using nylon as the material of the handle, rather than Victorinox actually reducing the quality of their steel, springs or their time-proven mechanism.

Sorry for carrying on someone else's misstatement.

GeoThorn

Thanks again for filling out this first post of mine with your input.
Quite honestly, the Eurosport/Econoline deals at Fry's are the best bang for the buck, giving you Victorinox quality at a price that's a steal. Just not as shiny as their regular line, but arguably more practical and longer lasting finish-wise.

There might be a difference in quality control, as I mentioned before. If the Econoline series only has spot checks done on them, that answers why the consumer gets such savings. I found this point mentioned here:

http://www.pizzini.at/shop/index.html?lang=en-us

(click on swiss army knives, then Econoline)

Functionally, then, there should be no difference I would think. The lockup on my Eurosport 13 is very tight. So the QA difference is probably to weed out the ones not up to spec before they leave the factory.

Hope you all are using your SAKs in good health...

One more thing about the ecoline scales,this came up in a thread last year either here or SOSAK. The nylon scales are more DEET resistant than the cellidor,Deet tends to craze the celllidor

BTW when I see the word ecoline,I think of Ford trucks..anybody else ever get the same impression?:)

Ultraman said:
Thanks again for filling out this first post of mine with your input.
Quite honestly, the Eurosport/Econoline deals at Fry's are the best bang for the buck, giving you Victorinox quality at a price that's a steal. Just not as shiny as their regular line, but arguably more practical and longer lasting finish-wise.

There might be a difference in quality control, as I mentioned before. If the Econoline series only has spot checks done on them, that answers why the consumer gets such savings. I found this point mentioned here:

http://www.pizzini.at/shop/index.html?lang=en-us

(click on swiss army knives, then Econoline)

Functionally, then, there should be no difference I would think. The lockup on my Eurosport 13 is very tight. So the QA difference is probably to weed out the ones not up to spec before they leave the factory.

Hope you all are using your SAKs in good health...

LOL! Did you notice the opening sentence there?
"The more flavorable Eco-Line with Nylon-Scales... "

Personally, I've never thought of any SAK as being particularly "flavorable"... :D

tarmacky said:
BTW when I see the word ecoline,I think of Ford trucks..anybody else ever get the same impression?:)
Google has that going on, too. When I went there and typed-in "Victorinox Ecoline," when the search results came back, at the top of the web page, Google asks, 'Did you mean: Victorinox Econoline'....

GeoThorn

Nylon handles are better for not showing wear. My EDC economy tinker is just starting to have the painted Swiss cross come off, after six months of EDC, but no other wear is apparent yet. The celludor handles get pretty scratched up in a few days (but the material is made in the USA, which is a plus in my book).

Good to hear the nylon scales hold up so well. I recently acquired one with the beautiful blue translucent scales. From what I have read from other forum members they scratch up easily too, but golly gee it's purty.

BTW, my last posts keep calling the ECO-line series "Econoline" -sorry about that :eek:

Back