Information on Victorinox Eurosport line

There IS a difference, at least on some of them (but it is a small one). After reading through the post, I went down to Fry's to check out the great deals on the "eurosport" (econowhatever, same thing) version of the climber. For eight bucks, I picked one up. The one that I bought has a different can opener blade-thicker because there is no grinding except on the actual edge (the regular versions have always had an almost saber ground bevel on one side). Still for eight dollars, it is a good deal. Might even make the can opener a bit stronger (but harder to use).

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm brand new to SAKs. I think that some of the 111mm models have nylon scales (example: one handed trekker, fireman, outrider, etc). If I'm correct that these have nylon scales, does this mean they are ecolines (eurosports)...whatever?

Again, sorry if this is a dumb question.

:)

No such thing as a dumb question. The 111mm knives were the first ones to use nylon scales, though not as a cost cutting measure. About ten years or so ago, when they were introduced, I carried a 111mm Centurian as a groundskeeper and used it hard every day, and I was really impressed. I'm glad to see nylon offered as an option in the other traditional sizes (I look at the lower cost as a bonus).

Bartleby said:
No such thing as a dumb question. The 111mm knives were the first ones to use nylon scales, though not as a cost cutting measure. About ten years or so ago, when they were introduced, I carried a 111mm Centurian as a groundskeeper and used it hard every day, and I was really impressed. I'm glad to see nylon offered as an option in the other traditional sizes (I look at the lower cost as a bonus).

Bartleby,

Thanks for your answer. I'm glad to hear that you used the knife hard and it held up well.

Thanks again.
:)

After seeing my climber, a buddy of mine picked up one of the "eurosport" climbers at Fry's and his has a standard can opener/screwdriver blade, so the one I bought was probably a missed step in manufacture. Also noticed that the climbers are not marked Victorinox on the blades, just "Switzerland, stainless, rostfrei." The Tinker version that I bought last November had all the proper markings. Anyone tried one of the "eurosport" recruits from Fry's?

I haven't tried any of the recruits, but it's amazing how the equivalent of a huntsman can be found there (under the Eurosport line).

One possible aditional manufacturing detail is a small "ledge" at the base of the main blade.It is on one side only. All my cellidor models have it, but my eurosport spartan doesn't, in fact the lack of the ledge makes the blade appear more rounded off and refined. It may be possible that this ledge is related to manufacturing year for all their models and have nothing to do with the specific line.

Real glad to see this forum back! :)

The "ledge" or slightly wider blade at the tang seems to be in a state of transition to the narrower tang type. My old 1975 SAK has the thicker blade, as does the recent eurosport with scissors and corkscrew I bought at Fry's. I think they may be using up older blades, but this is just a guess. The eurosport tinker I got last November has the thinner "ledgeless" blade, as do most of the recent celludor models I've seen In my neck of the woods.

Back