Introduction and some of my work

well look who showed up to C&H :)
beyond all the other nice things mentioned I will add that John is also very generous with his time. He was kind enough to help me with a friction folder.

nice work John, now when you get to tapering tangs I'll place my order :)

Good looking stuff man! Looking forward to seeing more of your work! You always give invaluable advice in shop talk but I never get to see enough of your work! Lol. Looks like that's about to change!

Daniel

No, quite the reception. Thank you all for the kind words. Hopefully over the next month I can complete my barn renovation and move in completely so I can get back to making what I want to make.

Great work John, very inspirational. And thank you for your posts so far as well. They are a big help to a beginner. I am curious about why you haven't tapered the tangs. I just started distal tapering and it was easier than i feared it would be. I am using thin stock for kitchen knives so I am hesitant to taper the tangs. Where is the quicksand that I am certain I am clueless about?

Howard1 Howard1 Thank you. There's really no reason I haven't other than it's extra work many of my customers don't value. I have tapered some tangs, and have a few tapered tangs on my bench currently. What I do or don't do is a combination of my personal desire to make things with particular features and how as I reach more customers and the features they desire change, I learn and try new things to provide what they want.

Howard1 Howard1 Thank you. There's really no reason I haven't other than it's extra work many of my customers don't value. I have tapered some tangs, and have a few tapered tangs on my bench currently. What I do or don't do is a combination of my personal desire to make things with particular features and how as I reach more customers and the features they desire change, I learn and try new things to provide what they want.
I have been collecting since 1972. Tapered tangs and distal tapering were considered the mark of quality. So it is what I look for and what I aim for. I certainly didn't mean to sound critical and apologize if I did.

Well you definitely had nothing to worry about. Your work looks great! Especially love the takedown knife. I like the shape you have made the handles. I wonder if the broad butt makes it better for using as a hammer.

I have been collecting since 1972. Tapered tangs and distal tapering were considered the mark of quality. So it is what I look for and what I aim for. I certainly didn't mean to sound critical and apologize if I did.

I didn't take it that way at all. :thumbsup:

Glad you posted the pictures, brother. I gotta tell you, I think that's some fine looking workmanship there. That one you worked on with Mr. Doyle is particularly handsome.

Grateful I got mine! John is great to work with and his craftsmanship is top notch.

Back