Is Jesus God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now don't drag Dune into this. Brian Herbert couldn't write a bazooka joe comic.

Oh man, if I had a lot more time on my hands, I would totally be photoshopping some kind of Bazooka Joe/Dune comic strip right now! :thumbup:

Anyone can claim anything.

He said he was the Kwisatz Haderach... and he said the price of spi... er, oil was going up this Thursday.

I refer to Christianity as the non or anti-religion because instead of trying to appease God by following rules, as believers in Christ, all we have to do Is believe in Jesus by faith. That's it! If we truly believe that he is who he said he was, if we read the red letters in the New testament and TRULY believe, that is, believe in our hearts not just our minds. If we do this, we then recieve the Holy Spirit, who helps us to put our sin to death. See, we don't try hard to make Jesus pleased, he imparts joy and strength to us when we have faith in him, and in turn we give him glory for helping us! It's truly amazing! This is actually quite new to me. I've been a Christian all my life, and I'm just starting to get it! And like a previous poster said, it has everything to do with reading and meditating on the words of Christ (the red letters). I always thought I had to clean myself up and then I would be ready for a deeper relationship with God. But after actually reading the words of Christ for myself, I learned that that's not how it works. He wants me to come to him in faith as I am and change me. And I tell you, after 36 years of trying to do good on my own, Jesus is doing it FOR me, because he loves me.
I just want to share my story.

Many people have died for what they believe to be true. Take for instance suicide bombers.

No one would die for what they know to be a lie or hoax.

Many of Jesus' disciples died gruesome deaths for not denying him for they were in positions to know that he was God and that they personally saw him resurrected.

Bar none, what is the only name you hear most frequently as an exclamation, in movies or cursing? Psalm 107 talks about 5 kinds of people and the results. The very first verse of the Bible describes plurality in the Godhead, (Elohim). The New Testament was written by Jews and the item to ponder is the first chapter of the gospel of John (4th book). Is jesus God? it is the only name they claim will save you.

I refer to Christianity as the non or anti-religion because instead of trying to appease God by following rules, as believers in Christ, all we have to do Is believe in Jesus by faith. That's it!

If that's your take on your religion then more power to you. I'm an atheist (and part-time Discordian), but I see no harm in that sorta belief. You're generalizing though and extending your beliefs onto your fellow Christians. A lot do believe they need to follow the rules in the book. A few to the detriment of others. That said, even if you ignore the rest and base your ideology on just the "red letters" of one half of a book, it's not all lollipops and sunshine.

Modern Christianity is so far off from 1st century Christianity and even the translated words of their Bible, that it's not even a branch anymore. People pick and choose what parts to identify with and dismiss the rest. That's their call and we should all be thankful that the majority don't follow their own religion's teachings, but each interpretation is just an individual association and doesn't work in mass. It splits and splinters.

Many people have died for what they believe to be true. Take for instance suicide bombers.

No one would die for what they know to be a lie or hoax.

Many of Jesus' disciples died gruesome deaths for not denying him for they were in positions to know that he was God and that they personally saw him resurrected.

Many people died "knowing" David Koresh, Jim Jones, etc. were God as well.

The Old Testament is full of prophesies about the coming messiah. All of which were fulfilled by Jesus.
I thought the Jewish people believed this but just didn't believe Jesus was the one. You're still waiting for messiah, correct?

Here ya go:
Why Jews Don't Believe In Jesus
One of the most common questions we receive at Aish.com is: "Why don't Jews believe in Jesus?" Let's understand why ― not in order to disparage other religions, but rather to clarify the Jewish position.

Jews do not accept Jesus as the messiah because:
1. Jesus did not fulfill the messianic prophecies.
2. Jesus did not embody the personal qualifications of the Messiah.
3. Biblical verses "referring" to Jesus are mistranslations.
4. Jewish belief is based on national revelation.​

I lost all belief in christianity when they explained to me that a Buddhist who lived his entire life as a kind gentle helping person will burn in hell for eternity when he dies, but a mass child murderer who accepts jesus as his savior before his execution will go to heaven. If that is the kind of god christians believe in, then you are welcome to it. I would rather hang out with the atheists, and Buddhists in hell then, thank you very much, better company anyway.

I've made my share of posting errors, but I'm certain this isn't the right forum for this...

... I don't really want to debate religion or politics here.

... it's liable to be the beginning of an ugly argument.

Bloody religion rears it's ugly head eh?
... This thread is doomed and in the interests of sanity I will ignore it.

We have many new guests to the Cantina in this thread. Right now the evangelism is confined to this thread, so those who don't care to engage in discussion or debate on this topic can abstain just by avoiding this thread.

If the evangelism spreads to an extent that it begins to make discussions of other topics in other threads difficult, we'll have to consider alternatives like moving the discussions elsewhere.

For now, the Golden Rule is something that everyone seems to buy into.

Religion is a personal thing. I beleive in Jesus, that he died for me (my sins) and that is it.

I will be the first to say that as a christian and a member of blade forums I am appreciative that christianity has not been removed from this forum, as it has been removed from most EVERYTHING else in my life. Especially since a mod has been here to disagree and yet allows continuity. I feel glad to be here, And yes Jesus is God.

AFAIK, Buddhism is not a religion in that there are no "supernatural" beings involved. I know it morphed and melded wherever it went, but the Q&A book I read on Buddhism said there were no "ghosts."

Intriguing comment.
"Ghosts" can be taken metaphorically to mean a variety of things.
From my understanding (zen buddhist perspective), anything that involves asserting a "view" is by its very nature limited and incomplete.
Ultimate Truth is non-dual (not subject / object or view-based) and therefore beyond comprehension.
That said, Buddhism neither asserts nor denies the existence of God, how can it?
But to say that such and such is required in order to attain such and such in the future is overly cumbersome and makes too many (in my opinion, flawed) assumptions about reality in the first place and overly-complicates (or perhaps over-simplifies) the real situation.
To your comment: From a material perspective, there is the hungry ghost realm, where ghosts do dwell, as well as heavenly realms inhabited by various dieties (bodhisattvas, goddesses, etc.) that have been postulated to exist throughout the Mahayana Buddhist Canon for millenia.

pete

I consider Jesus to be a person that actually lived, not a fictional character in one of the most best-selling novels of all time. But if Jesus was God, he couldn't be a person, because every god is something that people invented to explain things they couldn't explain at the time. I believe that every time people start to listen to what is written in a book too much, they will develop backwards.

76427965.jpg

Please don't tell me I'm going to hell :D

My problem is that we have a book written by men telling us that Jesus was God/the son of God. I believe that Jesus was a man and more than likely a great man. But I don't hold him in any way with a higher regard than Buddha or Mohamed or even Ghandi.

I have a hard time with religions that basically say "it's our way or the highway". I don't think IMO that it is that cut and dry.

On the other hand, in my eclectic spiritual views I believe all things have God in them, so yes, Jesus is God. Just not the God in the biblical sense.

Many Jews believe in Jesus. They are called "Christians."
There are also many people who thrive on disparaging and hating Christianity out of fear and insecurity.
Like it or not, America IS a Christian nation. The men who liberated the nazi camps in 45 were Christians. (real ones)

It is the only adult religion to me, because it is the only one that actually requires you to focus on your behavior and pretty much ignores all the childish bullshit like food taboos and sacrificing animals.
If he was not divine, then I can't think of anybody who could come closer in word or deed.
But in the end, people don't reject him, they reject his ideas.
It is too hard and too scary for small hearts.

I don't think so, but I really don't know, one way or the other. I wasn't there, and the evidence that Jesus ever existed at all is pretty scant and entirely hear-say.

I lost all belief in christianity when they explained to me that a Buddhist who lived his entire life as a kind gentle helping person will burn in hell for eternity when he dies, but a mass child murderer who accepts jesus as his savior before his execution will go to heaven. If that is the kind of god christians believe in, then you are welcome to it. I would rather hang out with the atheists, and Buddhists in hell then, thank you very much, better company anyway.

That's not the teaching of all Christianity. Most Protestant denominations teach that Faith alone saves, which is where you get that explanation. However, they also try to offer further explanation by saying that those with Faith will do good deeds.
The Roman Catholic Church teaches that Faith AND Good Works are required to gain salvation. Moreover, you'll never here a Catholic priest who is following the Church teachings condemn a person to Hell solely on basis of not being Christian.

Moreover, you'll never here a Catholic priest who is following the Church teachings condemn a person to Hell solely on basis of not being Christian.

The pope is the supreme leader of Catholicism correct ? He said that very thing himself, a while back ago in a big speech. It was all over the news. So I'm sorry to have to call bullshit on your statement.
The fact is I was raised christian, went to a fire and brimstone southern baptist church and school both where they used to beat the children all the time for the littlest of things. Many, many years I heard their preachings, sitting right there in the pews. Over and over and over again it was drummed into our heads that ANYONE who does not accept jesus as savior will burn in hell for eternity. I asked questions..." What about an aborigine that never heard the gospel or even jesus name" ? Answer ? They will burn in hell 4ever because if they wanted to know, god would have sent a missionary to tell them about jesus !! Even in 7th grade I saw that those people were wackos and I wanted not to be like them or follow their mind numbing bullshit.
I am so happy christianity worked out for some of you and you have faith in it. For some of us it's utter poppycock and a complete waste of people's lives.

I will say a positive note about christianity. The principals contained in the book itself, the golden rule especially and the 10 commandments have been spread far and wide because of christianity. Those are good things - the idea that we must pray to a zombie jew to enter heaven though is out of the ballpark wacko. Sorry if I am insensitive to your religious beliefs, but your religious beliefs say I'm going to burn 4ever so.......:jerk it:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back