It has been a minute...

Sir, I really should take offense at that. Or, maybe just a retaining wall.

I have made a very good brisket, braised with a LOT of onions, and some carrots:

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/onion-braised-beef-brisket.html

The recipe is a bit fiddly, since it requires thin-slicing the meat about halfway through its ~4 hr braising time. Definitely worth the work, though.

Kis, please tell me that you didn't come upon your brisket preparation instructions while combing the web for aardvark recipes! We've talked about this.

In Texas, brisket is generally smoked for about a jillion years over hardwood, generally a hickory and mesquite mix I think? They wrap it in butcher paper for the final smoke so it stays super juicy. I've never had the pleasure of eating horse, but I can't imagine it compares favorably to brisket, the food of the gods.

Edited to add: on the Jewish front, Weinbergers Deli is only a few minutes away in Grapevine, and they have probably six or seven Reubens on the menu. Plus about a hundred other sandwiches I plan on working my way through over the next few years.

A good Reuben can indeed be the pinnacle of gastronomy. In addition to being good food. Corned beef, good German sauerkraut, mustard, Swiss. None of that salad dressing, though.
Hmm, think I'll start dinner.

You could be right, Kis. I spoke at length with the roan afterwards. He was seriously remorseful for his actions (still in therapy, in fact), and stated that his digestion had never really recovered. Regarding a possible run for political office, his words were: "If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve.". He mentioned that enough of his relatives (or at least their southern ends) already hold public office.

William T Sheroan?

Sir, I really should take offense at that. Or, maybe just a retaining wall.

I have made a very good brisket, braised with a LOT of onions, and some carrots:

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/onion-braised-beef-brisket.html

The recipe is a bit fiddly, since it requires thin-slicing the meat about halfway through its ~4 hr braising time. Definitely worth the work, though.

Kis, please tell me that you didn't come upon your brisket preparation instructions while combing the web for aardvark recipes! We've talked about this.
My Friend, I came across the brisket recipes while spending 24 years living in the Rogers Park neighborhood in Chicago.

And, sadly, there are darned few Aardvark recipes available.

(Did you ever notice that "recipes" is one of those words that the longer you loook at it, the more certain you are that it is mispelled.?)

Last edited:
Sheroan wrote "The Human Comedy", I think. Never did think it was all that funny.

The things that are legal in Texas are wonderful and amazing. I miss some of the geography of California, but that's about it. I can't get over how clean everything is here. Should have brought some dirty needles from my old town in case I get homesick.

Back