JK Handmade Knife of the Week

In general terms, 1/4" is too thick for most knives JMOHO. I prefer thinner stock and a flat grind for most stuff but of course, I can see situations where a beefier blade might be called for.
John's knives came into my life when all I wanted were Slabs of Beef......
using his knives showed me that .125" can be pretty durable.

Now, I understand that thickness is a means of adding weight.
(when wanted) Not for increasing strength, so much. :)

I remember that one, you and jds1 each got one. Not the firewalk trip, that was at the yurt, I gave those at the cabin.
Here are pics of the Yurt Gathering. That was with Uncle Bill and Krazy Russian and flying knives.
You generously gave us all knives at that gathering as well; I called mine the Ultra-Thin Work Knife.

Looks like we ate good!

best
mqqn

mqqn thanks for the link! Brings back memories for sure. I love the picture near the end of everyone with a dismayed look. That's when one of the throwing knives mysteriously disappeared. We never did find the knife.

I had a little problem posting pictures to my server, but I finally got it figure out and here are the weekly pictures.
Out of the big bag of JK's came the Twig Mangler! This knife was a nod to Mors Kohansky and his "twig mangling" knives.
This also started a short-lived "premium" line from JK Handmade Knives, with faux bolsters in contrasting micarta and additional finish work. John also went above and beyond (I am sure he always shuddered when I contacted him about a knife lol ) by making the metal butt-plate on the Twig Mangler.

Anyway - I love the knife and it does get occasional use when I want to, well, mangle a twig or two.

20220213_143844.jpg

20220213_144034.jpg

20220213_144059.jpg

20220213_144256.jpg

best
mqqn

I'm biased but it's basically a perfect rendition of a Kephart! Super simple, function, great grind- everything you need for function and nothing that you don't. Pure elegance!

Back