Kershaw 1595 G10 Tactical Speed Bump New Model Bump?

got mine today... very solid lockup, great looking piece, fit & finish is great. No backspacer issue...it is pretty flush with the liners and scales. I got mine in the red box fwiw. the stud lock was alittle sticky to begin with, but after some breaking in today, it opens very smoothly and closes easily with one hand, no problems at all. Overall, this is a steal at 40 dollars! i just wish there was a tip up carry option. This is my first Kershaw, and it's only natural that it was a Ken Onion design, his designs really speak to me, very aesthetically pleasing but totally functional as well. (i want a damascus shallot) Great ergos too! I just wonder what the idea was with the clip...why only tip down? there must be some reason for this. idk...maybe not lol

Ken Onion designed the clip to work tip-down only.

posted this elsewere, but thought I'd post it here too, since this is the thread that led to me buying one!
5987117742_6584802289.jpg

I really like the functional blade design of this knife!

Wonder why?

~Gnarly

There is a flat face milled into the handle of the 3D machined scales of the original stud-lock Bumps for the clips to attach to. Perhaps he felt it would have interrupted the smooth flow of the rest of the handles to have more of those flat spots? That and maybe he just liked the way the clip looked the way it is.

In the case of this version, I suppose it would have been possible to use a different clip and drilled and tapped for 4 way, but that would have defeated the purpose of using up the leftover Bump parts. It would also have driven up costs to manufacture due to the additional floor time needed to drill and tap six to nine extra holes, not to mention the added time and expense of additional jigs.

Last edited:
There is a flat face milled into the handle of the 3D machined scales of the original stud-lock Bumps for the clips to attach to. Perhaps he felt it would have interrupted the smooth flow of the rest of the handles to have more of those flat spots? That and maybe he just liked the way the clip looked the way it is.

In the case of this version, I suppose it would have been possible to use a different clip and drilled and tapped for 4 way, but that would have defeated the purpose of using up the leftover Bump parts. It would also have driven up costs to manufacture due to the additional floor time needed to drill and tap six to nine extra holes, not to mention the added time and expense of additional jigs.

That makes sense; thanx.

~Gnarly

BTW, I just laid my newest (1595) Bump next to my black Shallot,which wears an STR Ti lowrider clip.
That clip would work on this knife,by using a slightly longer screw in place of one holding the scale on....meaning I'd only need to drill & tap one hole.
And since mine is going to Jeff @ 4bushrefinishingsystems anyway,for the Blaze Orange + Evil Eyes treatment,I think I'll give it a try.
I had emailed STR last week & asked him about doing a clip,but he was reluctant because as he said,it'll all need to come apart for the drilling & tapping process.
I know he stays swamped,and cannot blame the man for not wanting to undertake a time-intensive modification.
Just my opinion,but a tip-up STR Ti lowrider clip would double the value (and pocket time ) of this knife.
Gone to buy one now.

Hey Gnarly.

The Spec Bump clip mimics the shape of the handle. The clip fits into the bend of the palm or in most RH grips. Although it may seem like a PITA, I can see how the clip/handle blade shape creates a large-ish knife that folds into a smaller package. Artistic license.

Wonder why?

~Gnarly

Makes sense!

Will TRY to post pix of right hand tip up, after I get my clip from STR,and get the knife back from 4bush!

I'd like to see that. I have been sitting on the fence but I may buy one of the 1595s and change it to tip-up also. Maybe swap the blade with a 1596 and make a Franken Bump.

As adnj said, it's the design of the clip itself. If the clip was flipped for tip up carry, it's shape wouldn't follow the contours of the handle. At least it's better than the really small ones, like on the speedform II (although that one is tapped for tip-up or tip-down).

I ordered 2, then ordered a few more. Awesome knife for $40, man what a deal. Thanks to who ever started this thread. It does open a bit slower, but its a bigger blade. its my new edc for now

As adnj said, it's the design of the clip itself. If the clip was flipped for tip up carry, it's shape wouldn't follow the contours of the handle. At least it's better than the really small ones, like on the speedform II (although that one is tapped for tip-up or tip-down).

That's a valid point,adnj , gooeytek....but the lowrider Ti clips from STR are a 'foldover' design,to get the knife to ride lower,and since I'm determined to convert the knife to tip up,I'll soon have a spare factory clip for free!

Don't really care about 'form'; more into function....and the only design "glitch" I've found with this knife is the placement of the factory clip is all wrong...for me....JMO.

As an update,STR :thumbup: was gracious enough to send a couple longer screws,and mail it directly to Jeff at 4bushweaponsrefinishingsystems....who,in turn agreed to drill/tap an extra hole for the clip :thumbup: (can use one of the existing screws holding the scale on!) and Jeff will also Ceracoat the scales in Blaze Orange---my favorite color!--- and add Evil Eyes,in black.

I'm totally lousy/inept with posting internet pictures,and I am a pisspoor photographer to boot,so I may try to convince Jeff to post the pix here....either way,will keep you posted.

~Gnarly

I've been looking at some knifemaking supplies. Not sure what I would us but it will be low in the pocket.

BTW the price is now $28.81 on Amazon.

Last edited:
Still showing as $39.99 for me. I tried emptying the cache and using a different browser.
Anyone else still seeing $28.81?

It is back up to $40. Most likely a pricing mistake that was fixed, I ordered 2 more this morning at the 28 price for gifts and they went thru. The $40 price is still amazing, but that $28 is just crazy.

Back