Kizer Aesthetics, a Breath of Fresh Air

Love the Gemini, Intrepid, Kane, Tomcat, Splinter and a few others. Yup there's Kizers that don't float my boat but there's plenty of ZT models that I don't care for either. If we all had the same taste it'd be a pretty boring world, not to mention bladeforum :). I think Kizer's doing great and will become a real force to be reckoned with. I wish them all the best.

Mike

In addition to supporting Ray Laconico, buying the Gemini also supports Crucible, who Kizer gets its steel from (and Kizer may be buying other materials from the US as well, I'm not sure), as well as the American retailer that sells the knives, as well as the American companies that are part of the supply chain throughout the process.
Plus,just because a hell if a knife maker is Chinese is kinda irrelevant in this day and age.

Just got this one yesterday. I love the knife and the design, but as you can see, it came with the frame screws missing,on this side only.Couldnt believe it.I contacted KC and they are getting in touch with Kizer to send me some screws direct.And these screws are different than the 2 other kizers I have,seem like their hardware might not be interchangeable between all models.I don't know how this one got through like this.
2ajdx0x.jpg

No question about it, Kizer is still working out the kinks. My sense of things is that they're being so aggressive about putting out new models that their QC isn't what it ought to be . . . at least not yet. Most of the time they get it right, but occasionally a bad one gets through or, as in your case, it's missing parts. I'm confident they'll get it straightened out over time. For now, however, I'd suggest you buy Kizers from a B&M store that carries them (if you can find one) or from an Internet retailer who's willing to inspect them before they ship them out. I do the latter and I haven't gotten a bad one yet.

Yeah, I should have had them inspect it, but I took it for granted it would be ok.Worse case I can send it back for another and et them wait for the screws.

While I appreciate variety and original design, quite s bit of Kizers catalog looks simply ridiculous to me. I dig the Splinter and Kane and a few others, but the goofy handle designs and recurved blades ruin many of the designs for me.

This is how I feel about them, as well. Their designs just don't do it for me, though they do look like a good value.

Keep the faith, Nap. It's worth the wait. I haven't been able to get my Gemini out of my pocket since the day it arrived. :)

Commented right before bed, was woken by Orange Santa (Brown Santa's Dutch cousin) ringing the doorbell. Complain on BladeForums, and ye shall receive?

I'm definitely still smitten. No apparent QC issues, apart from the edge being just so-so out of the box. It's going straight into my pocket after I'm done fondling and it gets a few minutes on the Sharpmaker. (Today's agenda takes me to an environment which isn't exactly knife-friendly, but although the clip isn't deep-carry, the blue/gray motif blends in with jeans pretty well.)

Amusingly, the warranty slip informs me that it's my responsibility to use their product in compliance with international law. I guess that's okay; I usually pack an ESEE when participating in coups d'etat anyway.

Here's a picture of the new Mistral, which is an in-house design. I think it's absolutely gorgeous, unfortunately this model without the anodizing is an exclusive to an Italian retailer and thus is way too expensive for the American market:

25aqntv.png

I picked up the anodized Ki3310 Mistral...didn't know the plain version was made...and with the colored G10 and the blue themed ano, it is a little busy. In hand, its a wonderful gentleman's knife. It has a little bit of the lock bar hot spot that people have complained about on the Splinter, but not too bad. Mine is still very stiff, so it's definitely a two-handed opener (for now). The Mistral is serving as my proxy Mnandi...until I get a Mnandi, lol.

Well, I'm the OKFB (Original Kizer Fan Boi) with around 20 different Kizer's in my collection. I can objectively see their flaws but continue to be pleased with their variety, value and style risks.

Just like the rest of us, I hope their popularity doesn't equate to a loss of value but I'm afraid that's already happening.

I'm waiting for the G10 Bolstered LL Kanes to come out. Hopefully they're offered at a discount to the full Ti Kane.

Amusingly, the warranty slip informs me that it's my responsibility to use their product in compliance with international law. I guess that's okay; I usually pack an ESEE when participating in coups d'etat anyway.
LOL. You'd better behave yourself all right or the Kizer police will come and take you away. :D

I'm glad your Gemini arrived safe and sound. :)

This is how I feel about them, as well. Their designs just don't do it for me, though they do look like a good value.

Yep. The flip side is that they make a lot of designs I do like in sizes that work for a lightweight (< 4 oz) folder fan like me. I just take what I like and leave the rest behind. In fact, from what I can tell, there is no other manufacturer that has released as many new lightweight designs this year as Kizer has. I've been having a field day snapping them up (Ki3404A3, Splinter, Gemini . . . the list goes on). :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I should have had them inspect it, but I took it for granted it would be ok.Worse case I can send it back for another and et them wait for the screws.

I actually was about to buy that model as well, as soon as the Brous Sniper I'm selling finds a new home. I'll definitely ask Knifecenter to check it over first before mailing it, really surprised a slip-up like that happened considering Kizer's generally fantastic fit and finish.

Apparently a few bad Geminis got through as well. As I said before, Kizer is experiencing growing pains. I suspect they'll work out their QC issues in the course of time. In the interim, buying from Internet retailers who are willing to inspect Kizer knives before they ship them is the ONLY way to fly AFAIC. Not only will that protect us, it will also keep the pressure on Kizer to improve their QC. No Internet retailer likes to have to take the time to inspect knives before they ship them or return defective product. If we put pressure on the retailers, the retailers will put pressure on Kizer.

Last edited:
I think they might be rushing too fast to get them out and shipped over here,and that's why theres these little problems..

I think they might be rushing too fast to get them out and shipped over here,and that's why theres these little problems..

Agreed, but I also think failing to put screws in the darn thing is pretty bad. I mean, easy fix obviously, but talk about embarrassing for a knife company. They may be getting a bit too big too fast. Good problem to have, but it sounds like they need to tighten up QC and slow down. Heck, it might work a bit to their advantage to have their hotter designs out of stock for a bit and it gives them more time to make sure everyone who gets one is happy. Or at least if they aren't that it's not Kizer's fault.

Talked to KC ,Kizer sent out the screws, should get them late next week. Be nice to complete tis knife,but it still works and functions perfect as if the screws were in.The threads recess into the scales which helps hold them together.Great knife, though ,very sharp early lockup centered blade, love the maroon and black insert with the shallow holes. Interframes do take more work to make, so it makes this knife well worth the price. the scale on the opposite side doubles as a lockbar stop.only thing missing is a steel insert but my other Kizers don't have them and seem fine...

Just received my Walkabout (from KW - check there for pics). No issues - blade is centered in both open and closed position, good lockup, smooth action, good EDC size and weight for convenient carry in the office (why I purchased it). Have not used it yet, but seems sharp as delivered. I am a big fan of spyderco opening holes and the slot cut into the blade is not nearly as effective an opening mechanism as the big round spyderhole, but it works (and no spyder hump taking up space either, of course). Overall, so far so good and decent price too.

Love the Gemini, Intrepid, Kane, Tomcat, Splinter and a few others. Yup there's Kizers that don't float my boat but there's plenty of ZT models that I don't care for either. If we all had the same taste it'd be a pretty boring world, not to mention bladeforum :). I think Kizer's doing great and will become a real force to be reckoned with. I wish them all the best.

Mike

We'd have the change the name to bladeboredom.com

Back