Kizer Gemini Quality control issue or design flaw?? possible fixes

Hey guys so first off I am not posting this to bash on Kizer or other Chinese knife companies. The reason i'm posting is so as the new batch of kizer knives hit the shelves you may be aware of possible issues.. or at least an issue i experienced with my Gemini.

So I purchased my kizer gemini mid October the knife worked flawlessly for the first week of use.. flipping action smooth as butter. Lockup about 50% no blade centering perfect.. However, after about a week i noticed that the flipping action on the knife was intermittently felt very rough, grinding almost. and then a couple flips later would again be smooth as butter. I noticed that when the action felt like it was grinding the centering would be off somewhat.. After inspecting it i figured their was something wrong with the pivot.. I emailed kizer the week before halloween asking them if anyone else was experiencing these issues.. after a couple of days of not getting a response I decided to take the knife apart(this proved to be a little more difficult than i anticipated)

So after taking apart multiple times lubing cleaning and applying blue-loctite the problem was still occurring.. I finally discovered that the D shaped pivot they used in my knife was to short with just the very outer edge reaching into the D-shaped pivot hole on show side. No matter how tight I made the pivot when lateral force was applied to the lock bar the d shaped pivot would back out slightly.. centering would become off lock up would shift to ~5% and action was rough from feeling the blade pivot hole running over d-shaped portion of pivot screw.

so about 6 days after initial email plus about 4 subsequent emails kizer customer service finally contacted me.. took about a week of emailing back and forth before kizer finally agreed to send me a pivot screw, plus other external hardware and internal steel washers. November 6th it finally got shipped and kizer said that it would take 15-20 days.. Being impatient as i am i decided to try and fix it while i waited.. granted at this point I had a knife that was non functional for twice as long as i had owned the knife.

So i fixed the issue (i think) by taking out the steel washers that the ceramic ball bearings are riding on and ran them both across an Arkansas wet stone an equal number of times cleaned the knife and put back together using blue loctite. I did this about 2 weeks ago and the knife has worked flawless since then the pivot appears that it is not backing out any longer, centering is still perfect and action is now smooth as butter again.. Lock up is a little earlier than i received it ~20% but it feels very solid. Is this is a permanent fix? i don't know but it appears that it might be.

as of writing this post 11/22 i have not yet received the package from kizer however it should be here any day now..? we will see how that goes.. hope this helps

Ive been experiencing the same issues over the past few days with my Bad Dog! When I flip the knife its fine but when I move the blade in and out it gradually loses its smoothness to the point where its making grinding noises.

Yes that's what mine was doing for a while I believe it is the blade hole riding over the the d shape of the pivot.. It goes pretty far into the pivot close to the blade pivot h.. compared to the amount that goes into the show side to be locked down

I was surprised by how thick the steel washer inserts were they are almost the thickness of the inside cut out for the pivot hole on my knife any way

Ive been experiencing the same issues over the past few days with my Bad Dog! When I flip the knife its fine but when I move the blade in and out it gradually loses its smoothness to the point where its making grinding noises.

65d9432c602f74e62093242e9637c87e.jpg

This is when I firs took the knife apart you can see that the pivot hole is not perfectly round

a31b273da967ff0afb84c76a6d71d078.jpg

Here you can see where the d shaped pivot had been grinding on the outside of the pivot

I think kizer needs to slow down a bit, they are cranking out so many models so quick that there is some issues,like mine that came with missing frame screws. They are still great knives, and It wont stop me from eventually getting the intrepid model.

I'm having the same issue, only problem is I am UNABLE to remove the pivot, the rear just spins and spins. I can feel the d shape of the pivot just rotate around as I try to loosen it to see what the issue is. Not sure what to do, I have tried emailing them and even messaging the kizer moderator, not reply yet.

I got it out by first heating it up! I ran it under hot water and then held the opposite side with a piece of rubber while I turned the opposite side.. It appears the glue they use is like super glue! Jk but it was pretty tough to get apart

Update, I got a reply from Kizer they want me to repair it on my own and they will send out some new screws? I going to assume a pivot assembly, Only problem is I have been trying to remove this pivot and it will not budge. I will try the hot water and rubber method.

When I was fixing the issues on my Gemini, heat wasn't enough to allow me to get the pivot loose. I was forced to side load the knife and bind up the pivot assembly.

Also, I've been emailing Kizer once a week for over a month now trying to get a new pivot barrel. I've yet to recieve a response. I'll try messaging the Kizer mod here.

as far as the pivot hole not being perfectly round, you can sand it smooth and buff it a bit so its not so rough, unfortunately you shouldn't have to do that with a brand new product. You can also contact the dealer you got it from and try to exchange it for another,but it may have the same issues...

as far as the pivot hole not being perfectly round, you can sand it smooth and buff it a bit so its not so rough, unfortunately you shouldn't have to do that with a brand new product. You can also contact the dealer you got it from and try to exchange it for another,but it may have the same issues...

Yeah I wouldn't want to sand down the pivot hole though I would want to increase the gap in there even more that when you would introduce blade play and lock rock I would think.. And I bought it from knife center and their website said it only accepts returns on new unused items..?

When I was fixing the issues on my Gemini, heat wasn't enough to allow me to get the pivot loose. I was forced to side load the knife and bind up the pivot assembly.

Also, I've been emailing Kizer once a week for over a month now trying to get a new pivot barrel. I've yet to recieve a response. I'll try messaging the Kizer mod here.

I spoke with Joyce at Kizer you may can try emailing her kizer1@tbt-gd.com however remember they are 13 hrs ahead so I would not expect q fast response.. And Joyce is the only one at Kizer that I could get a consistent response from

UPDATE: Ok, I was finally able to remove the pivot screw using Havoc5J method. Thanks again for the help and visual aide. Heating up the pivot did not help at all, you have to open the knife, lock it and put some pressure on the blade to create pressure on the pivot so it will lock it in place (just enough for you to break loose the pivot from the loctite/glue they used). I cleaned everything up, found out there is a MAJOR flaw in the pivot design. Like mentioned previously, the presentation scale is the ONLY place where the D shape end of the pivot sleeve locks into. Meaning ANY type of vibration to knock it loose out of the scale and we are back at square 1 where the pivot just spins freely and massive blade play. What they should have done was notch the lock side scale as well so there is no way for the pivot sleeve to move around.

Anyhow I cleaned everything up, put it all back together (after several tries), I was able to use a plastic vise clamp and ensure the pivot goes through the presentation scale and tightened the pivot. Knife is working again, blade is centered, flips like it did before. Hopefully I get the new pivot in the mail since mine is a lil scratched up now. Not sure if the the new pivot is redesigned I'll keep you guys posted if and when it comes in. Thanks again guys for the help and suggestions.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Ok, I was finally able to remove the pivot screw using Havoc5J method. Thanks again for the help and visual aide. Heating up the pivot did not help at all, you have to open the knife, lock it and put some pressure on the blade to create pressure on the pivot so it will lock it in place (just enough for you to break loose the pivot from the loctite/glue they used). I cleaned everything up, found out there is a MAJOR flaw in the pivot design. Like mentioned previously, the presentation scale is the ONLY place where the D shape end of the pivot sleeve locks into. Meaning ANY type of vibration to knock it loose out of the scale and we are back at square 1 where the pivot just spins freely and massive blade play. What they should have done was notch the lock side scale as well so there is no way for the pivot sleeve to move around.

Anyhow I cleaned everything up, put it all back together (after several tries), I was able to use a plastic vise clamp and ensure the pivot goes through the presentation scale and tightened the pivot. Knife is working again, blade is centered, flips like it did before. Hopefully I get the new pivot in the mail since mine is a lil scratched up now. Not sure if the the new pivot is redesigned I'll keep you guys posted if and when it comes in.

Yes you may have noticed how thick the steel washer inserts are this is why I sanded down both sides slightly just to get a little more of the d pivot to go into the presentation side d slot and hopefully prevent it from sliding out when lateral force is placed on the lock bar and honestly it has not malfunctioned since I got it back together

Anyhow I cleaned everything up, put it all back together (after several tries), I was able to use a plastic vise clamp and ensure the pivot goes through the presentation scale and tightened the pivot. Knife is working again, blade is centered, flips like it did before. Hopefully I get the new pivot in the mail since mine is a lil scratched up now. Not sure if the the new pivot is redesigned I'll keep you guys posted if and when it comes in.

Glad you were able to get it apart and back together though! I'm guessing it was the hot water?

Yes you may have noticed how thick the steel washer inserts are this is why I sanded down both sides slightly just to get a little more of the d pivot to go into the presentation side d slot and hopefully prevent it from sliding out when lateral force is placed on the lock bar and honestly it has not malfunctioned since I got it back together

If it happens again I will look into slightly sanding down those washers. I think they were in such a rush to get this knife out to the public they didn't spend enough time testing it and working out all the flaws. Knife is near perfect, but there are a few quirks that I can get over, but this pivot design is not good at all.

Glad you were able to get it apart and back together though! I'm guessing it was the hot water?

I tired that last night, tried hot water directly from the water heater (I had to wear gloves for that), didn't work. I then used the soldering iron trick, no luck. Yeah, I'm just glad I don't have a $170 paper weight anymore. Maybe Kizer will read this and make changes on their next major batch as I can see this will be a potential problem down the road for many owners.

As of now, I still like the knife a lot, I will continue to carry it and use it in my edc rotation(lets see how long it lasts). I'm hoping this was a just a Q/C issue where they didn't assemble it correctly.

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping us updated on this issue. So far, at least, I haven't run into any problems with mine. But as you say it could just be a matter of time. It's too bad because the Gemini has quickly become one of my favorite folders. All I can do is carry it and keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping us updated on this issue. I've posted a copy of this link in the Kizer Cutlery Manufacturers Forum so folks can keep track of your progress.

Thanks! Hope this helps others with this issue! I will also let you all know when I receive the pivot stuff from Kizer as of today it has been 18 days since they said it was shipped

Back