Kizer Splinter - Initial Impressions

brancron

Gold Member
Here are some photos to start: http://imgur.com/a/Mzmt7

This knife has a 3.375" blade (not 3.5" or 3.25", both of which appear on Blade HQ's page for this knife, both of which are wrong) of S35VN, a titanium handle and clip, and weighs in at 2.6 ounces.

The flipper tab is very unobtrusive and the action is perfect: http://i.imgur.com/fNXa9Zm.jpg[1] . The detent is just right, not overly strong like that of some manufacturers with a "Z" in their name.

The only flaw is that the portion of the handle I'm pointing to in the following picture is quite sharp: http://i.imgur.com/9YOr9FF.jpg[2] . You don't necessarily come in contact with it during use, but when your thumb does happen to catch it, it can be annoying. Chamfering that part of the titanium might mess up the look of the lock-side scale, but I think some sort solution should be looked for.

Also, I don't like the Tomcat logo or the "splinter" thing on the lock-side part of the blade. I think it should have the Kizer logo on the presentation side with the blade steel type on the ricasso, and then the model number on the lock-side ricasso, and that's it.

[Sorry for the poor quality photos, I'm at work.]

Here are some photos to start: http://imgur.com/a/Mzmt7

This knife has a 3.375" blade (not 3.5" or 3.25", both of which appear on Blade HQ's page for this knife, both of which are wrong) of S35VN, a titanium handle and clip, and weighs in at 2.6 ounces.

The flipper tab is very unobtrusive and the action is perfect: http://i.imgur.com/fNXa9Zm.jpg[1] . The detent is just right, not overly strong like that of some manufacturers with a "Z" in their name.

The only flaw is that the portion of the handle I'm pointing to in the following picture is quite sharp: http://i.imgur.com/9YOr9FF.jpg[2] . You don't necessarily come in contact with it during use, but when your thumb does happen to catch it, it can be annoying. Chamfering that part of the titanium might mess up the look of the lock-side scale, but I think some sort solution should be looked for.

Also, I don't like the Tomcat logo or the "splinter" thing on the lock-side part of the blade. I think it should have the Kizer logo on the presentation side with the blade steel type on the ricasso, and then the model number on the lock-side ricasso, and that's it.

[Sorry for the poor quality photos, I'm at work.]

Thanks for the info! Yep, definitely going to have to get myself one of these. Really liking how it looks.

Thanks a lot, Brancron! I've been anxiously waiting your feedback for a couple days. I will definitely pick one up as well. I've really wanted to try out a Kizer for at least a year, but haven't been thrilled with the designs of their knives with reversible clips to date (the perils of being a lefty...). Between this and the upcoming Fortunado, I finally have some options.

I've been carrying one regularly for the last couple weeks and Mr only complaint is that the flat grind is a tad thick at the edge. Plenty sharp for most tasks, but not an amazing slicer.

I just ordered the anodized version from GP..
It will be my first Kizer so I will write a review once I get it. Looks like I may have scored the last one from them too.
I'm a sucker for slim profiles, Ti heat anodization, and wharncliffes, so this was a quick decision.

I just ordered the anodized version from GP..
It will be my first Kizer so I will write a review once I get it. Looks like I may have scored the last one from them too.
I'm a sucker for slim profiles, Ti heat anodization, and wharncliffes, so this was a quick decision.
Yes, you did get the last anodized Splinter. No worries for me, though. I prefer the plain. :)

Buying the Splinter was an easy decision for me, too. I own a Ki3404a3 and I'm familiar with Kizer quality. I've also been fence-sitting for quite awhile on the ZT 0450. The 0450 is a nice knife, of course. But it was a little more money than I wanted to spend. With similar specs and a street price of $42 less than the 0450, the Splinter looked like a clear winner to me.

PS: Thanks for the review, brancron! :thumbup:

Yes, you did get the last anodized Splinter. No worries for me, though. I prefer the plain. :)

Buying the Splinter was an easy decision for me, too. I own a Ki3404a3 and I'm familiar with Kizer quality. I've also been fence-sitting for quite awhile on the ZT 0450. The 0450 is a nice knife, of course. But it was a little more money than I wanted to spend. With similar specs and a street price of $42 less than the 0450, the Splinter looked like a clear winner to me.

With so much being said about the quality of Kizer and Reate coming from China, the low price point was a great way for me to check it out for myself. Also the first folder I've bought in several months so I'm excited.

I'm with you on the 450. I was on the fence myself for a month or two until I found one used at a price I couldn't resist. It's a sweet knife and a perfect size. Only minor issue is (as others have mentioned), it's impossible to deploy if you put any pressure on the lock bar. Plus, given the small size it's harder to avoid touching the lock bar than on other knives. Despite that, however, it's one of my favorite knifes.

That being said, the Splinter will very likely be my next purchase. With the same materials as the 450 at such a lesser price, it's not a question of if, but when, for me.

Let me know how the detent is on yours. The detent on the one Kizer shipped me for the passaround was stronger than on the one I own. So there appears to be some variation in the detent strength on them.

Let me know how the detent is on yours. The detent on the one Kizer shipped me for the passaround was stronger than on the one I own. So there appears to be some variation in the detent strength on them.
I actually disassembled mine to increase lockbar tension a little bit and found that it made the detent way too strong to flip comfortably. I managed to adjust it back eventually, but it seems like the sweet spot of easy to flip and solid lockup is fairly narrow.

I think the issue comes when the detent ball seats itself completely in the detent hole, which requires the lockbar to flex slightly in the lateral direction. Too much tension causes this to happen automatically.

Will do. It should arrive shortly . . . :)

Got mine in today.
First impressions:
-Packaging is very nice. Magnetized box complete with spare screw and a good sized cleaning cloth.
-This knife is LIGHT and disappears in your pocket.
-Very sharp out of the box, sliced through phone book paper with ease. Grind is even.
-Flipper tab is small. It was a bit difficult to flip it open so I disassembled, oiled, and reassembled. Now it is set up to my liking.
- I'm impressed considering what I paid. $118.

j9EFQbk.jpg

kZVX4xY.jpg

BhXPcFg.jpg

FtcotRv.jpg

Last edited:
Mine should arrive today. If it's anything like my Ki3404a3, it will probably need a drop or two of Nano-Oil in the pivot. Then I expect it will be good to go! :)

Mine should arrive today. If it's anything like my Ki3404a3, it will probably need a drop or two of Nano-Oil in the pivot. Then I expect it will be good to go! :)

The Splinter uses ceramic ball bearings and the old 3404 series (I have two of them) use washers. With the torx pivot and ball bearings Kizer has taken major steps and soon they'll have lockbar inserts to alleviate lock stickiness and wear.

I wish the Splinter had an exact 3" blade.

Got mine in today.
I'm impressed considering what I paid. $118.
I am too. :) The only problem I'm having is opening the knife one-handed. The detent feels fine. But the handle is so narrow that it's difficult to keep my middle finger from pressing on the lockbar. I have to put it on the clip to prevent that from happening. I normally remove the clips from my folders, but I don't think I'll be able to do that with the Splinter unless I decide to open the knife with two hands.

I also agree with brancron's comment:

The only flaw is that the portion of the handle I'm pointing to in the following picture is quite sharp: http://i.imgur.com/9YOr9FF.jpg. You don't necessarily come in contact with it during use, but when your thumb does happen to catch it, it can be annoying. Chamfering that part of the titanium might mess up the look of the lock-side scale, but I think some sort solution should be looked for.

It is a little annoying, but not a deal-breaker.

All in all the Splinter is a very nice modern gentleman's carry and a welcome addition to the Kizer line.

Last edited:
I am too. :) The only problem I'm having is opening the knife one-handed. The handle is so narrow that it's difficult to keep my middle finger from pressing on the lockbar. I have to put it on the clip to prevent that from happening. I normally remove the clips from my folders, but I don't think I'll be able to do that with the Splinter unless I decide to open the knife with two hands.

I also agree with brancron's comment:

It's a little annoying, but not a deal-breaker.

All in all it's a very nice modern gentleman's carry.
Taking it apart, lubing it up good and putting it back together made it substantially easier to flip one handed.

I also noticed the sharp edge on the framelock.. nothing a file can't fix.

Back