Knife cost rant!!!!!

So a lot of people when I show them my knives
That I'm carring ask how much does it cost because
They want one then when I tell them my spyderco paramilitary 2 cost 130$ they some times say

Why would you spend 130$ on a knife
Or
You can get a knife at Walmart for 4$

Then I have to explain the difference between
A spyderco and a Ozark trail

Has anyone else ever had a knife conversation like this
I think the look on peoples faces when i tell them are priceless

Ps I love knifes and I only buy good stuff

Ive had to, and the twat i tried to explain it to said that "420j2 is the best because its soft" i gave up at that point and let him live in his bubble.

I like Protech.
Cannot justify spending money on a Shiro..for example.
If it gets lost..good luck justifying that!

Even "knife people" I know think I'm nucking futs. Most people think a $50 kershaw is as good as it gets. I'm used to people shitting bricks (for lack of better terms) when they get the answer to the "how much do those run". Honestly, I envy the people who are happy carrying a $50 kershaw for a couple of years.

Sort of.
My brother continues to buy flea market folders which he often has to replace when they fall apart.
I keep telling him ( I know his knife uses and needs btw ) that if he would at the very least buy a buck bantam for 20$ he wouldn't have to buy a knew knife every month or so, but his response to me is that he wouldn't want to mess up a good knife. apparently to him any knife worth using is too nice to use🙄

I'm not the kind of guy who would spend 130$ on a folder as my preferred type of knives just aren't that much ( I don't need 'em fancy they just need to work ), but I definitely understand paying more for quality and would not put a flea market knife in the same boat as even a Victorinox classic.

I generally avoid discussing how much my knives and flashlights cost. (You think it's bad telling random joe your knife cost $125, try telling him your flashlight cost that (or more)...even if he has expressed amazement at the brightness/beam.)

I generally avoid discussing how much my knives and flashlights cost. (You think it's bad telling random joe your knife cost $125, try telling him your flashlight cost that (or more)...even if he has expressed amazement at the brightness/beam.)

Yep, I know that feeling as well. Half the people I know that react that way have no issues driving a car they pay 500+ a month for and trade them in yearly only to make more payment. I may be crazy for my purchases, but I actually retain the items I pay for.

First off I don't purposely show non knife people my knife, if I use it in front of them and they ask a question prior to me putting it away I always avoid telling them the cost if asked. If you have to explain it to them ( super steel, design, locking mechanism, heat treat, etc. ) they would not understand, just as I don't understand the high cost of a painting that looks like a blind squirrel ran over the canvass with paint on its feet.

The good stuff always cost little more. It all depends on what you are willing to spend and the enjoyment of the item in question.

Benchmade McHenry Williams Axis Lock 710D2 $180.00 vs Ganzo FIREBIRD 7563 - OR Axis Lock $16.00
or
Johnnie Walker Blue Label $250.00 a bottle vs J&B - Rare Blended Scotch Whisky $45.00 a bottle

Both the above are equally enjoyable.

Johann D

A man without a knife is a man without a life. -
Nordic Proverb

If you buy/use quality stuff/tools these are the conversations that you just get used to.

For instance, my family uses bicycles for all or transportation needs and we also ride for recreation. Even though most people we are around know that we ride literally EVERY DAY, they would still gawk if they were told the amounts spent on out bikes! We have nothing high end whatsoever, but it is not uncommon for whatever current bike I am riding to have cost $500-$1000. All these people see are $100 bikes at Wally World.

It is the same for a lot of quality things from fishing reels to hand tools to bed sheets...
Bruce

Yup, lots of guys I know from the gun club will spend $5k on a gun but will balk at spending $20 on a knife... I don't even want to try to explain....

The last time I was asked how much a knife cost by a coworker was after he admired my HK Axis.

Spending $100 on a knife is something he just can't, and won't do. He carried Some kind of a S&W.

So the next day I gave him a G10/S30v Manix 2 that I barely ever used.

He can tell the difference in quality now.

Some great points mentioned. My wife needs a $300 bags to hold her crap but questions why I need a $150 knife. I guess it's all pe Perspective. I'm at the point now that knives are like politics, I don't discuss it with most people. My own father carries a knife everyday but won't spend more than $30 on one. He shoots 3 times a year and spends $1600 on a shotgun. I understand he like guns, he doesn't quite understand I like knives more. My shotgun costs $400. I'm just done explaining it to people.

I think I've probably been on both sides of this. I've owned cheap knives that simply weren't dependable. I'm also completely happy carrying my $25 rat 1. At this moment I have a manix 2 in s110v and a leatherman skeletool cx in my pocket. Many people I know would balk at the price of those two. My friend loves cheap walmart knives. Using a fixed blade example, I told him that my survive gso 4.1 might cost more than his coleman camp knife, but i can probably use my knife to literally cut his in half. (He won't let me demonstrate). It all depends on what a person a values.

Back