Knife cost rant!!!!!

Knowing my preference for higher end knives, most of my family and friends aren't too surprised about prices anymore. They still give me 'that' look but then just shake their head and smile.
Funny thing is, most of them end up asking my advice about knife purchases at some point down the road.

It's chasing the "flavor of the month" (in any hobby) that truly becomes unnecessarily expensive and futile.

What until you get some customs.

My friends know me too well. They'll ask how much I spent on my new "X" custom knife in front of their non-knife buddies. I think they get a bigger kick out of the reactions than I do.

I feel like everyone has something they spend money on. Whether it's knives or cars or clothes or alcohol. For me, I love the spyderco techno and southard I had, but at the end of the day, superior fit and finish wasn't enough for me to hold onto them, I also got rid of my Manix 2 and pm2. Just have my Delica 4 now and I'm happy with that. Although I love the other knives and hated seeing them go, I needed the money

For example idk why anyone would spend $300 on beats headphones, but to each their own. Now if I can get my hands on a '68 Plymouth road runner hemi, I will spend my life savings on it just because that's my dream right there lol

I don't really think about the cost, if it's a knife I am adding to my permanent collection (vs my user/beater knives)... I see buying expensive knifes for my collection the same as buying anything else that is collectible and considered to be expensive. You are buying something you want and that has a value associated with it, often you can sell it at or even above the price that you paid so it's not like just spending money in a traditional sense.

I feel like everyone has something they spend money on. Whether it's knives or cars or clothes or alcohol. For me, I love the spyderco techno and southard I had, but at the end of the day, superior fit and finish wasn't enough for me to hold onto them, I also got rid of my Manix 2 and pm2. Just have my Delica 4 now and I'm happy with that. Although I love the other knives and hated seeing them go, I needed the money

For example idk why anyone would spend $300 on beats headphones, but to each their own. Now if I can get my hands on a '68 Plymouth road runner hemi, I will spend my life savings on it just because that's my dream right there lol

And I will be sure to hotwire it and be gone in sixty seconds.

Regarding the insurance, there often is a limit, but you can add them to your schedule based on bill of sale or an appraisal, much like jewelry, watched, furs, fine arts, cameras, etc. My family has been in the insurance business since 1952.

I agree with this. In fact, Knives are not my only hobby. I have a number of hobbies that I spread my money across. And let me tell you that friends in each of those hobbies do not understand the money I spend in the other hobbies.

Yup!! My pool playing buddies cannot believe how much I spend on knives, but never bat an eye when I show up with a $4,000 custom pool cue.
Vice versa with my knife buddies.
If it's your 'thing' and you enjoy it, spend it if you have it.
Joe

I have a good support system. They go quiet, and have no questions after they ask enthusiastically..... then I tell them the price of my knife they were admiring. All of a sudden my knife is not cool at all to them.....and life goes on

Back