Knife cost rant!!!!!

You can't take that green stuff with you.....might as well enjoy it before you starting pushing daisies.

But honestly, I don't even say how much anything cost to anyone, knives, watches, cars....etc etc , there really isn't a point.

One of my biggest pet peeves are people that are concerned with what every single thing cost.

Just say "it cost enough" or "it wasn't that much" and move along....works for me.

That's awesome I like that you opened someones eyes to hi end knifes the only person I know that understands quality to cost ratio is my grama she was using cheap knifes and one day I gave her a spyderco delica now she knows what a good knife is I wish I could of gave her a manix now for me the most I would spend is 200$

I say the same thing I do when someone asks that about my Rolex, " well they're not for everyone !"

That gets the response I want , they get annoyed . Many guys at work drive 50k pick ups and have Harley's that they drive less then 2k a year, but my XM 18 at $385 is crazy even if used I can sell it used for more then I paid new.

I'll be honest. My first thought when reading this thread title was "yeah, I agree, knives cost too much".

Clearly, that wasn't what the thread was about.

On the topic as the OP meant it, I haven't had many responses like that. That's likely because I also consider knives over, say, $60, to be pretty pricey to me. I understand that others value higher end knives than I do, but I don't personally feel the need to spend that much for them. I can understand the desire though, I just chose to spend my money on other things (knives are far from my only hobby).

I appreciate quality tools (which, by the way, I'm not saying that people that like expensive knives don't value them as tools), and feel like the ~$20-$60 range gets you out of the "flea market" quality knives, to good quality tools, while staying comfortably out of the "artwork" pricing area. That said, even $20-$60 can feel like a lot for a knife to some people, so I expect that I'll get that reaction someday.

Yes.
Very rarely do they understand.
I have posted threads on this topic myself.
All I can say to you, is that it never ends.

I highlighted the important points you made for me. I also think prices have been rising on factory made knives at a fairly rapid pace in the last few years. I suspect it is what the manufacturer's believe the market will bear. There really are a lot of choices these days. People complain with their wallets. Just don't buy if you feel the pricing is out of line.

Yes, the price inflation is becoming virtually impossible to ignore. And I've always advocated showing your disapproval w/ your wallet but, this is not what concerns me.
What concerns me about the rapid price inflation is, there are a LOT of people out there who not only won't buy them because they feel they are too expensive but, if things keep going the direction they seem to be...simply WON'T BE ABLE TO PERIOD.

Let's not forget the REAL unemployment figures in the US alone are well over 20% (not the fudged, single digit BS that the BLS has been trying to sell us)

And unless something DRASTIC is done at the federal level to reign in this out of control inflation, these poorer folks will be economically FORCED into the cheaper markets of the far east. This ofc in turn will only work against the American and other western hemisphere companies that are making this mass-produced quality product. I'm in NO WAY saying that this is these company's fault. Nor am I saying that these companies don't need to make a profit, I'm a Capitalist and I support the REAL free market wholeheartedly but, unless something is done, I think thru no fault of their own, these companies could easily end up pricing themselves right out of business.

And that will do none of us any good, as there will be a bunch more people in the unemployment line, the poorer folks will be stuck w/ substandard garbage and everybody else will have a LOT less options for quality daily users.

I'm not dirt poor but, I surely don't want to be stuck w/ only cheap junk OR completely unrealistically unattainable *safe queens* for options...and I'm sure most of you don't either.

Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox...I just felt something needed to said. ;)

Yes, the price inflation is becoming virtually impossible to ignore. And I've always advocated showing your disapproval w/ your wallet but, this is not what concerns me.
What concerns me about the rapid price inflation is, there are a LOT of people out there who not only won't buy them because they feel they are too expensive but, if things keep going the direction they seem to be...simply WON'T BE ABLE TO PERIOD.

Let's not forget the REAL unemployment figures in the US alone are well over 20% (not the fudged, single digit BS that the BLS has been trying to sell us)

And unless something DRASTIC is done at the federal level to reign in this out of control inflation, these poorer folks will be economically FORCED into the cheaper markets of the far east. This ofc in turn will only work against the American and other western hemisphere companies that are making this mass-produced quality product. I'm in NO WAY saying that this is these company's fault. Nor am I saying that these companies don't need to make a profit, I'm a Capitalist and I support the REAL free market wholeheartedly but, unless something is done, I think thru no fault of their own, these companies could easily end up pricing themselves right out of business.

And that will do none of us any good, as there will be a bunch more people in the unemployment line, the poorer folks will be stuck w/ substandard garbage and everybody else will have a LOT less options for quality daily users.

I'm not dirt poor but, I surely don't want to be stuck w/ only cheap junk OR completely unrealistically unattainable *safe queens* for options...and I'm sure most of you don't either.

Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox...I just felt something needed to said. ;)

*Rein.

People start talking about grocery prices I get all fired up.

I hate to drag up old threads, but the prices I've seen on some knives are pretty crazy. There are so many so called "custom" knives from so many different makers. I know that what is affordable and what makes sense depends on someone's means, but at what point do knife prices get absurd? I am also a shooter and have a few higher end guns ($2,000+). High end guns that are built to very high tolerances require a whole lot more work than a knife. How do these knifemakers charge what high end guns cost? Do these so called custom knives retain their value (or appreciate)? Guns are very good at holding value, even if they are used (well cared for). If a custom knife is used will it still retain most of its value?

I used to bartend at a nightclub. I had to explain a $1,000 custom to one of the bouncers. He couldn't get over it

Yep, I know that feeling as well. Half the people I know that react that way have no issues driving a car they pay 500+ a month for and trade them in yearly only to make more payment. I may be crazy for my purchases, but I actually retain the items I pay for.

I spend 300 a month to lease a car because I want a brand new car every 3 years. I, on the other hand, love to spend on knives

Honestly my friends know I have a big collection of expensive knives. When they ask how much my Inkosi cost I am actually embarassed to tell them it was about 600$ Canadian. I rarely tell them I spent more than 250$ on a knife. So somehow my Inkosi is a 250$ knife in many of their knives.

I'm cutting something at work with my trusty Manix 2 XL.
Workmate asks "how much did that cost?"
I told him.
His response? "Hmmph, you should've just sharpened an old hacksaw blade, it would do the same thing."
Told him "it wouldn't do this" as I flipped it closed and slipped it back in my pocket.

Mercedes versus Kia...
I drive a Kia daily. It's called a good value. Inexpensive to buy. Cheap to operate. Extremely reliable and never in the shop. Most of my knives equate to the Kia in you analogy, and I'm in no way "underknifed".

This makes sense to me, and probably why I am considering some upgrades. It goes along with keeping your manner of dress, health, and mind sharp. It is a form of self respect.
I don't dress sharp. Never have. At this stage in my life, I never will. I dress practically and just don't see any reason to change that. I'm about to head off to work in a pair of Dicky canvas carpenter pants, a fishing shirt, a pair of lightweight hiking boots and a baseball cap, and I have an office job. I wear the same clothes to work, to church, and out and about town.

Last edited:
Well $130 is a lot for a folder for most average people. Why does that surprise you? There are plenty of quality folders under $50 out there. $130 is a used gun purchase for some people. I truly ask the same question for knives over $200.

I don't tell people how much my nice blades cost. They just won't understand. Heck, sometimes I don't, but I'm addicted. A Byrd Cara cara is all the pocket knife I'd ever need, but it don't do it for me like my crooked River, hogue or other nicer blades.

What I don't get is how people can spend $100 on jeans, drive a Mercedes, go out to fancy restaurants, buy expensive liqueur, but when we spend our disposable (hopefully) income on our knives we're weird.

Well $130 is a lot for a folder for most average people. Why does that surprise you? There are plenty of quality folders under $50 out there. $130 is a used gun purchase for some people. I truly ask the same question for knives over $200.
At one point after tax returns my wife designated me $300 to get whatever. I think I got 2-3 knives. She saw them and was like"um, it was yours to spend, but I thought you'd bring home a nice shotgun or something at least."

I told her be more specific next time.

As long as it is fun and does not take food off the table or prevents you from paying a bill, or causes stress to your partner, in other words be realistic and use common sense, then you are okay.

What I try to say is, do I already have a knife that is similar to the new one I am drooling over? You may have forgotten that one knife, so rediscover your collection and why you got it then, is it the same reason you are using now to justify buying a new knife? If so, maybe you are buying on impulse, take a second to think it over again. If it is meant to be, they will be around in the future, or the hunt for it again can be just as fun.

I generally avoid discussing how much my knives and flashlights cost. (You think it's bad telling random joe your knife cost $125, try telling him your flashlight cost that (or more)...even if he has expressed amazement at the brightness/beam.)
Gee, my tactical flashlight only cost $70. Now I feel like a cheapskate...

Back