Knife cost rant!!!!!

I know where "those people" are coming from, hell I'll never spend more than $5,000 on a knife.

How do "you evaluate" the value of knives you buy? I've been involved in many hobbies and if you are going to collect anything you had better have some idea of how to do it, otherwise you'll be wasting a lot of money.

I'm new to knives and I already question the price of some of the knives. Knives have few parts to them and everything in that knife can be researched for quality. Knives don't require high tech manufacturing, the production has been around for many, many decades. Yes the better knives have far better quality control and that costs money to do right. Other than that it's all about materials used.

Frankly when comparing folding knives, assuming the low end is $20 and the other than collectables high end is $600, I just can't justify a $600 knife. I'm sorry maybe I'm too new to knife collecting but I collect guns, watches, antiques just to name a few.

Considering guns, they are far more complicated to mfg. built to much closer tolerances and far more parts than knives. The average low end 9mm semi-auto hand gun costs about $200+, non collectable high end is about $1200 about 5/6 times the cost. The spread in knives are far, far greater than that, that's why I can't see $600 knives as being something that can be justified by price.

Last edited:
Edit to add---god dammit, I became that guy who took the conversation in a philosophical direction.

FISHED IN! SIGN OF THE FISH! James the Bassmaster!

[video=youtube;P5MALfID2lY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5MALfID2lY[/video]

I haven't read most of the posts in this thread so, chances are someone has already covered this. I fully understand paying more for quality but, my main concern is how wild inflation across the board in just the last couple of years is causing even the mass produced quality knives like KA-BAR, Ontario, Buck, Gerber etc. to start getting out of reach of the average, middle-class person. Just a few years ago, I could buy a new Ka-Bar USMC full-size or a Mark 1 for under 50 bucks. Today, the leather handled version of those same knives will basically ruin a 100 dollar bill.

I personally have no problem laying down 300 dollars or more for a high-end quality made knife, but when the mass produced quality blade prices start approaching the low-end of the quality custom made neighborhood...I think we have a SERIOUS problem.

And to the people that try to deny or justify this I would say...I think you need to return to reality. Price inflation across the board is wildly out of control and accelerating on many things, not just knives and people better start collectively, vocally complaining about it because if it's not reigned in, it's going to hurt us in ways we probably haven't even thought of yet.

Last edited:
I haven't read most of the posts in this thread so, chances are someone has already covered this. I fully understand paying more for quality but, my main concern is how wild inflation across the board in just the last couple of years is causing even the mass produced quality knives like KA-BAR, Ontario, Buck, Gerber etc. to start getting out of reach of the average, middle-class person. Just a few years ago, I could buy a new Ka-Bar USMC full-size or a Mark 1 for under 50 bucks. Today, the leather handled version of those same knives will basically ruin a 100 dollar bill.

I personally have no problem laying down 300 dollars or more for a high-end quality made knife, but when the mass produced quality blade prices start approaching the low-end of the quality custom made neighborhood...I think we have a SERIOUS problem.

And to the people that try to deny or justify this I would say...I think you need to return to reality. Price inflation across the board is wildly out of control on many things, not just knives and people better start collectively, vocally complaining about it because if it's not reigned in, it's going to hurt us in ways we probably haven't even thought of yet.

Can open, worms crawling all over the place.

...Has anyone else ever had a knife conversation like this
No, I have never had this situation come up. I learned a while ago that most people aren't interested in your hobbies unless they share the same hobby, so I don't tend to discuss my interests. In any case, I have modest taste in pocket knives and none of them were exceptionally expensive. This week, for example, I carried a $10 Rough Rider and a $30 Victorinox SAK which were sufficient for my needs.

And to the people that try to deny or justify this I would say...I think you need to return to reality. Price inflation across the board is wildly out of control and accelerating on many things, not just knives and people better start collectively, vocally complaining about it because if it's not reigned in, it's going to hurt us in ways we probably haven't even thought of yet.

I agree. All knives should only cost what I personally am willing to pay. Good point!

How do "you evaluate" the value of knives you buy? I've been involved in many hobbies and if you are going to collect anything you had better have some idea of how to do it, otherwise you'll be wasting a lot of money.

I'm new to knives and I already question the price of some of the knives. Knives have few parts to them and everything in that knife can be researched for quality. Knives don't require high tech manufacturing, the production has been around for many, many decades. Yes the better knives have far better quality control and that costs money to do right. Other than that it's all about materials used.

Frankly when comparing folding knives, assuming the low end is $20 and the other than collectables high end is $600, I just can't justify a $600 knife. I'm sorry maybe I'm too new to knife collecting but I collect gun, watches, antiques just to name a few.

Considering guns, they are far more complicated to mfg. built to much closer tolerances and far more parts than knives. The average low end 9mm semi-auto hand gun costs about $200+, non collectable high end is about $1200 about 5/6 times the cost. The spread in knives are far, far greater than that, that's why I can't see $600 knives as being something that can be justified by price.

If you think that knives can't require high tech manufacturing, take a look at the Lionsteel TiSpine or the TiDust. The former is made on a 4 Axis milling machine (X,Y,Z, and part rotation); the latter uses Direct Laser Metal Sintering in which Ti "Dust" is 3D printed.

My on-point-with-OP's-post answer is: no. I do not as a general rule discuss specifics on any of my discretionary purchases with others except close friends and family (who know me, and understand my interests).

This makes sense to me, and probably why I am considering some upgrades. It goes along with keeping your manner of dress, health, and mind sharp. It is a form of self respect.

Precisely...

Edited to add: to me I am here on BF because I appreciate knives and the company. Who cares what folks think about what you spend on your hobbies, they belong to you. I'm sure those same folks have their own personal vices. I work in materials inspection and love the looks on people faces when I break out my Karas Kustoms Ink (fountain pen) to jot down test results. Most folks don't know I'm also carrying a custom Dozier Bodyguard on my waist either. Pair all that with a custom made canvas pack from Jane Barron that most folks say looks "old timey". I won't even mention the Surefire in my pocket or the 2016 BF traditional in custom leather sleeve riding shotgun with the Surefire. All that neat stuff and keeping time with a custom maratac pilots watch on my wrist.....

Haters gonna hate friend!

Last edited:

I highlighted the important points you made for me. I also think prices have been rising on factory made knives at a fairly rapid pace in the last few years. I suspect it is what the manufacturer's believe the market will bear. There really are a lot of choices these days. People complain with their wallets. Just don't buy if you feel the pricing is out of line.

I said knives don't need high tech manufacturing. I didn't say some knives can't require high tech manufacturing that some MFG. decides to do. These 2 knives you mention probably account 0.0001% or less of the knives made today. What price do these knives command? Knives have been made for hundreds of years without the processes you list and I'll suggest that many of very fine knives made today don't use these mfg. tech and do just fine and exceed what knives need to do.

I can order a AR15 rifle that every part is made of billet and blueprinted and every other far out mfg. process known know to the industry and it will probably cost $15,000 and it won't shoot any better than a $2000 AR you can go down to your LGS and pick up.

Sometimes it's hard enough trying to justify them to myself :)
I don't bother trying to justify them to others.

Back