Knife for bears

This is the only knife I would want for a bear.

gun-knife.jpg

I never travel into the Wild without wearing Camo.
Pay attention, because wearing the right Camo could save your life.
To blend in with the locals, you won't catch me out there without wearing Bear Camo.

BTW to keep the number of Dates down on your outing, make sure your Camo Grizzly Bear Vest was made from a Male. :D:D:D

Vest-1.jpg

Oh I almost forgot the Knife.

When wearing the Camo Grizzly Bear Vest, I carry The Guyon Design Case Tactical Peanut. :D

I've wondered this myself. Tell ya what get a case peanut, run into the woods and let me know if that's enough blade. Best to start small because you wouldn't want all that extra weight when fighting bears. If not try a trapper style next.... the only true way of knowing is scientific trial and error really. I look forward to hearing your results on the news....

How about a KABAR, for example KA-BAR Black Fighter with 8 inch blade.

According to a legend KA-BAR stands for Killed A Bear

See here for the story.

Good Luck

I live in a country where guns are severely restricted making the knife my primary back up incase of a wildlife emergency such as a bear enounter. I routinely carry a 7 inch fixed blade as a back up on my belt, not separate from me like on a pack or ATV or anything else. If a bear attack was going to be sudden, I would use the knife and work on the bear with it. If there was enough time I would use the knife to make a spear by sharpening the point on a suitable staff of wood and use that as a weapon while keeping the knife sheathed to use later as a final backup if the spear fails.

Hi all,

A few years back there was couple that were camping up north I am not sure if it was in the boundry waters area or not. Any ways a black bear came into there camping area and the wife was attacked. The hubby came or tried to come to her rescue but all he had was a SAK. He attemped to stab the bear while the bear was still attacking his wife. After the bear recieved some stab wounds it did stop its attack and left the area, the hubby was able to get to his wife and started to leave the area and try to get help. The wife did die while the hubby was trying to get her to medical help.
After that situation happened there was a fellow who heard about that situation. He spent time in the woods and decided that he was going to get and carry a bigger knife than his pocket knife. He chose a knife with a 6" blade and I think it was a Buck 119. Anyways about a year later he is out in the woods and gets attacked by a black bear and I think it started attacking his dog first and he went to help his dog. anyways he killed that bear with his knife.

Let it be said, a bear can be killed with a knife. But this job is best done while the bear is busy killing someone else. Get a long pointy knife and someone you don't like too much. Oh, and hope the bear chooses to eat them, not you.

Apart from this, as has already been suggested, you could simply walk wisely through the woods. Maybe carry some bear spray. I'd rather take blow-back from bear spray than get mauled to death trying to stab a bear.

As a last ditch there is the Cody Lundine method. This requires manufacturing a primitive long spear (he was going to use it for lion fighting IIRC) and having a large group of men armed with machine guns to back you up.

God bless,
Adam

I hate to say it but in reading this thred it easy to to pick out the people with the proper mind set for survival and those who dont , the fighters and the quiters. IMHO

I live in a country where guns are severely restricted making the knife my primary back up incase of a wildlife emergency such as a bear enounter. I routinely carry a 7 inch fixed blade as a back up on my belt, not separate from me like on a pack or ATV or anything else. If a bear attack was going to be sudden, I would use the knife and work on the bear with it. If there was enough time I would use the knife to make a spear by sharpening the point on a suitable staff of wood and use that as a weapon while keeping the knife sheathed to use later as a final backup if the spear fails.

If you had enough time to make a spear, you have enough time to avoid the fight in the first place.

if'n you are looking for bears, and don't carry an adequate gun, or a gun of any type, you are most likely going to wind up as a bear's dinner.

Just tape a Spyderco Ladybug on the end of this .45-70 in case you need to clean your finger nails while out in the brush.

zoom_1895G.jpg

I know Europe can be tough for firearms, but you shouldn't have many problems in Alaska and Canada.

Anyone who thinks they could kill a bear with a knife is a fool

I have Killed a wild Boar with a knife and seen it done many times and they do not die right away---a Bear would be a Nightmare.

Even if you managed to stab it in the heart---(highly unlikely in the first place)--the bear would KILL you long before it died.

You are GUESSING that even if you had the knife in your hand that you would be able to calmly and accurately STAB the bear in the Heart in the first place---while it was attacking you.

How do you train for that??????

Get real here...

OP- seems by reading your first post you are not INTENTIONALLY arming yourself to search for a bear but want "something is better than nothing" for accidental meeting?? Based on that, I would want soemthign along the lines of a Koyote Spanish Dirk, decent Wakizashi or short spear with at least a 12" tip.

The idea for most people of carrying nothing but a knife to face a grizzly is ridiculous but planty of people HAVE to work in areas where they might be exposed and may not have the ability to have a gun with them. Geo surveyors come to mind.

I think avoidance is pretty much agreed upon as your best chance.

*** to qualify my answer- I have NEVER killed a grizzly with a blade. But do have experience killing/dressing pigs and steers & bears are even more densely muscled/tougher hide.

Bill

Back