Knifemaker Blues...

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Man...I'm sitting on about $2k worth of finished knives...and nobody is replying back to settle up final payment.

Bummer...

This is the Knifemaker's Blues....

Customers call in or email for updates on their knives....and then when it's finally finished....mysteriously vanish.

This is actually only one of a few times this has ever happened to me. Talking to other makers, though...I'm convinced I'm not alone. :p

Before anybody gets any funny ideas...no, I won't sell the knife to somebody else.

It sits in a box with your name on it...waiting for final payment to come in. *sigh*

I ain't complaining....just got a little bottlenecking going on in the "getting-knives-out-the-door" stage of the process.

Feel free to email me and ask "Where's my knife?"

:D :eek: :p

:foot:

Happy Wednesday!!!

Dan

Sorry to hear this....there needs to be integrity on BOTH sides of the deal.

I ain't complaining....just got a little bottlenecking going on in the "getting-knives-out-the-door" stage of the process.

And to prove my optimism....I'll let you in on a secret.

I currently have something "up my sleeve" to help alleviate this problem.

The Order Tracker is one step in the right direction...

But I plan on taking this a BIG step further.

The problem, I think, is that in this business (and any custom, handmade biz) you order and then wait...sometimes just a little while...sometimes a very long time! (I have a couple outstanding/incomplete orders from 2005!)

Well, what if you could custom order a knife and the wait time was only a couple weeks at most?

For the maker, that would be a great relief....quicker turnaround time = happier customers...both repeat customers and new ones.

For the buyer - more immediate gratification.

I get order cancellations now and then from folks that are tired of waiting....and I can't blame them. I get tired of waiting too. The enthusiasm wears off of both of us. It's rare someone gets nasty about it...most are very understanding and patient..for which I am very grateful. But I grow weary of having to "put them off". I wish I could output 100 knives a day....but it ain't gonna happen...

Well....long story short.....I want to change it...and more importantly...I CAN change it....;).....and this is the direction I'm headed in...I've got a plan...

Excellent.jpg

...just a matter of putting it into practice....and making it work.

:thumbup:

Let me know what you guys think - if you have any thoughts or feelings on the subject.

Dan

Last edited:
Dan,

If that green canvas nessie in the other post is mine, please check your email about a sheath, me sending funds, etc.

I would be happy to relieve you of this knife :D.

Thanks
Chris

And I do want to say "Thank You!" to all those who have patiently stuck with me during the days/weeks/months/years.

I hope it's been worth it - has for me!

Can't wait to see what 2009 brings. ;)

Dan

Dan that sucks that people are not paying up after project is complete. It is a fine line between maker and customer though. I have received a couple of knives from you already Dan and have a Bushmaster on order. I know you will deliver so I would have no problem paying up front for the full amount. On the other hand, I have been burned by a custom maker in the past. I ordered a knife in 2005, was asked for final full payment in July, 2006 which I sent because he told me it was a couple of weeks away from completion. Since then, no knife and now he won't even respond to my multiple emails. I have basically given up and chalked it up to my own stupidity. If I lived in the USA I would probably pursue civil action against him just to prove a point but it is not worth the effort living in Canada. I think you are honest and sincere Dan and I know you will deliver to my satisfaction (see pain in the ass left handed sheaths I always require:D). Unfortunately, a quick read throught he good/bad and ugly forum shows a lot of makers who don't deliver, take way too long and general poor customer service. It has a tendency to make people leary and suspicious....just my opinion. As a business man, it sucks for you to have completed inventory sitting around while you wait for payment. That is not acceptable.

Jeff

Dan,

If that green canvas nessie in the other post is mine, please check your email about a sheath, me sending funds, etc.

I would be happy to relieve you of this knife :D.

Thanks
Chris

Yes, Chris...yours is finished - getting fitted to a leather sheath. You're not on my "list"...:foot:....my leather guy only comes once a week...so I have to wait. He came by today and picked up knives to make sheaths.

Thanks for the reminder - I updated the Order Tracker - check the details there.

Thanks!

Dan

Hey Dan, "Where's my knife(s)?"

J/K, I know the status of all mine.

About the 2K inventory, I'd make a diligent effort to contact the customer, then they go up for sale, which is what you probably do already. Never had a problem selling knifes, have you? :)

Tell more about your plan. Slave labor? CNC machine?

And yes, the wait's been worth it. Your bushcrafter is probably the last knife I would ever give up. Highest praise I can send your way. :thumbup:

Jeff - yes, you and your lefty sheaths....:eek: :eek:

Just kiddin, Bro.

It's not a bother. Now...the leather guy I use...for him, it might be. :foot:

Seriously, though....I'm really not trying to complain....because some of this is brought on by the whole system of placing an order and then having to wait. I'm on you guys' side....I hate waiting too.

But, I've realized....there's actually a good side to waiting...the maker usually gets better at their craft and by the time they fill your order, the work has stepped up a notch. Usually...

I can't point the finger of blame...because I do put things off sometimes...and let stuff "pile up"...and sometimes drag my feet giving refunds out...I do try my best...but sometimes stuff just happens.

I'm willing to cut anybody some slack....

I'm just singing the Knifemaker Blues....

I got customers that call/email every week for updates...:D....and others I've only ever heard from once....and hundreds inbetween.

Some pay upfront....some wait....some pay partial...some in full...

If I was smart, I'd insist on a specific system...but I'm too persuade-able....:D

Dan

I have the opposite problem. I am waiting for the next bushcraft run so I can PAY you:D Hope you get the bottleneck solved and some X-Mas money in the bank.

About the 2K inventory, I'd make a diligent effort to contact the customer, then they go up for sale, which is what you probably do already. Never had a problem selling knifes, have you? :)

Nah....that's not for me...I'd rather wait a few months than have an irate customer light up GB&U with a "sold my knife out from under me" thread. :foot:

I don't mind holding them for a while...I understand that "timing" just sometimes works against you. I'd hate to lose a customer on account of bad timing.

Tell more about your plan. Slave labor? CNC machine?

And yes, the wait's been worth it. Your bushcrafter is probably the last knife I would ever give up. Highest praise I can send your way. :thumbup:

Thanks.

Right now, part of the plan is to bump up inventory of "known sellers". Already-heat-treated-blades....and pre-cut handle materials. With time, and more testing...I may start looking toward CNC work to replace that. But understand that the CNC work is going to be pretty rough...and it's only to help me get a leg up at the start. It's not going to replace the hours-upon-hours of hand-work that goes into completing the knives.

Dan

I agree Dan - That is not the way you want to do business. When the custom order is complete, you want to get it paid and ship it out to its happy new home. One approach is to give the customer a deadline, like 2 weeks. If no money is sent, on the open market it goes. However, it gets more complex if deposits and partial payments are made. I feel for you. That is why I paid complete up front. :) when done, you can send them home to papa. :D:D

I have the opposite problem. I am waiting for the next bushcraft run so I can PAY you:D Hope you get the bottleneck solved and some X-Mas money in the bank.

There is good news on the front, Bro...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I just cleared out about 30-35 bushcraft orders this week. ;)

I just have a few more to glue-up in 3V, S30V.....and a dozen or so in O1 (the next and final run).

I don't want to start any runs before Christmas...no need for it yet. Plus I am still "running the numbers"....to see what I can do to get the next run done quickly, efficiently, profitably, and still at a good price for you guys.

The new Order Tracker will make this process TONS easier and more satisfying for customers!

I promise to make a stink about it when I launch it...:D :p

Dan

I'll be putting up any/all extras today or tomorrow....I'm going through the Order Tracker right now to make sure I've got everybody down for what they wanted.

So far, no extras in Ironwood...unless one of the guys backs out. *shrug*

But, I *WILL* let you in on little secret....remember seeing the bushcrafts in this thread?

It's Glue-Up Time!!!

CPM 3V and cocobolo....and, um...they are not "orders"...not technically, anway. More on that later! **HUSH-HUSH***

:D

Dan

Speaking of cheapskates, did you get my deposit money order yet?

On the plus side, you have a great reputation on the forums and I doubt you would have a hard time selling anything you made. Holding a knife from 2005 seems a bit of a waste.

no...don't get me wrong...the orders from 2005 are not even completed...they are on the backburner...it is MY fault...not the customer's fault.

Thanks for the kind words....I enjoy having this forum...and being able to communicate directly with customers. Sometimes things can get kinda crazy....most of the time the dust settles and everything clears out on its own.

I have a hard time remembering which real name goes with which forum name. Care to elaborate? :D :p

Dan

Well...that's part of the problem. no way I could justify the old OR new pricing....so stuff gets put on the backburner until I can reach a happy medium.

I'm hoping to get the first 15 Survivors knocked out and shipped this week!!!

That will help alleviate some pressure...:D

Dan

Back