Leaving the Knife Exchange

"So, it seems I have a bit of a problem. An addiction, perhaps? As my tastes have grown more sophisticated, I just can't sustain two blade purchases a month any more."

You are being way too hard on yourself. First of all, just think of all the money you've saved by not paying retail for your knives by buying on the exchange! So much money saved! Money that you can now justify using for more knife purchases! In addition, think of the money you're saving by throwing together that PB & J or baloney sandwich and brownbagging it for lunch!

Is a knife addiction so bad? It is better than a drug or alcohol addiction. It won't ruin my liver or my brain.

Okay, to be honest, those are the excuses I use when my sharp pointy thing addiction gets out of control.

I developed a taste for knives that are on the expensive side. I never in my life thought I'd be paying more for a knife than I would for some of my firearms. (Thanks for that, Jerry Busse & the Busse crew)

Let us know how your plan to avoid the exchange works out. I truly wish you the best of luck!

Imagine how much a woman or three would cost! Knives are nothing !

Dude drops an CR in my thread, thinks he's going anywhere, LOL. I'll send you emails while you sleep.

LOL! I think a forum friendship is born!

I just browse every sale section to find the knifes I can't live without.

Problem is, I can't seem to live without ANY of them!!
"Self, take a deep breath and step away from the Exchange. There is a whole world of Hinderer beginning to tempt you."

Hahaha

Last edited:
It is easy. Just buy everything you like and you won't have to leave.

Money is just an illusion anyway.
The revamped $100 bill costs 12.5 cents to produce so what's worth more, the money or the knife ? ;):)

LOL! I think a forum friendship is born!

How about we try a AA Program style friendship? I'll let you know everytime I get a knife and what my cost was and you have to stay within $50 of that budget.

Wait why does this sound more like marriage then a friendship?

The exchange is the only thing I look at when killing time on my phone... How would I avoid awkward social situations if I don't have it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. I cut myself off from the Exchange and "other sources" of possible knife attainment after driving my PayPal credit up SAYING I was going to sell some knives to pay for purchases and then losing my mind because nothing sold. I eventually paid everything off and got back to the Exchange mostly just trading, but every now and then I see something that drives me nuts because my policy is I have to sell my knife first to pay for what I want to get and good deals simply get away. Such is life, but better than going into debt for knives I don't really need.

Then there's another Southard. "I love that knife beyond description and absolutely HAVE to have a backup, you know, for that eventual day that..."

What kind of freak buys more than one Southard? Just kidding, that's not a problem. A problem would be if you had piles of them, and had custom scales made for all of them so you could carry the same knife, but different, every day:

XilZphX.jpg

o6pvxce.jpg

Now that, that would be a sign that you had a problem . . .

I too enjoy the Exchange. It seems that not even two weeks pass and I have something coming or going.:eek:

I have gotten some really nice knives and met some really good folks though. It's nice to have a place where people who share similar interests can buy or sell from like minded people.

Hang out in the trading section for a while. Still the same thrill, without the outlay of money

"Oh my, this is getting dangerous. Tell you what, self, we're only looking for a rock bottom steal that would be an advance purchase for NEXT Christmas."

Anyone else have to force themselves to step away from the Exchange?

Hope you're having fun. I just never visit the exchange and live quite nicely from one week to the next. Try it.

I went a bit crazy with fleabay years ago and spent about $7K in a couple months on odds and ends (mostly my hobbies and that stuff should appreciate in value). I stopped cold turkey. I don't go there. Earlier this year I was looking for a particular discontinued camera tripod.... found what I wanted. Then waited a bit.... bought something new instead. I haven't purchased anything on that web site in years now.

@evilgreg: Stunning. There was a black Southard with C-tec on the Exchange a few weeks ago. It was very hard to resist. That knife, along with a gen-4 XM-18 Bowie that I forced myself to pass on, has been haunting my dreams!

"Hello, my name is 4mer_FMF and it's been three days since my last visit to The Knife Exchange."

I can do this.

Last edited:
hey 4mer, look what I got today, isn't she a beaut?

Yes, she is! Darn you, don't push recidivism!

My final, and last (at least for a while) purchase is somewhere in middle America and should be in my hands by Saturday. I'll show you when it gets here!

Day # 4 of Knife Exchange abstinence; my head is starting to clear.

Well, I made it a week without visiting the Exchange, and I'm feeling lucid and in control of myself--haha.

My final purchase, admittedly an impulse buy, arrived on Friday. I think it is going to get LOTS of pocket time.

89cad23414d14aa69564ebd5214135bc.jpg

The Reeve tanto grind with its gentle belly was just too sexy to pass up!

I also came to the realization that with all the stellar bargains on the Exchange coupled with the enticement of the "next knife," I haven't really taken time to enjoy my purchases from the last year.

Yeah, I'm going to lay off the Exchange for a while--but I ain't staying away forever!

Hope you're having fun. I just never visit the exchange and live quite nicely from one week to the next. Try it.

Yep, it's been lots of fun. Yep, going to give it a try...but I'll be back!

;-)

Last edited:
In my case, no, I don't worry. There's an enforced cutoff: with terminal cancer and 6 months left to live according to all the experts my corpse will be cold before I can do too much damage on the Exchange.

Damn that is not the answer we were expecting. I guess we are all in different situations and scenarios. Much prayers to your situation and never give up. I've seen people with much success with natural medicine when traditional meds has been exhausted.
But in honesty, 6 months can do some damage on the exchange.
Good Luck and prayers your way.

So, we all knew recidivism was inevitable, right? I made it nearly three and a half months without an Exchange purchase.

All along I had planned on picking up a Guardian 3 in April or May, from a retailer or from the Exchange, in anticipation of taking a troop of Boy Scouts to camp.

Well, right on time one showed up in the Fixed Blades section, so I grabed it.

Then I noticed an awesome Small 21 Micarta drop point, lightly loved, in the CRK Section. I started pining for it. It was lazily tempting me for nearly two weeks as the price gradually fell. Nope! I was committed to my vow of abstinence--right up until I broke.

I grabbed my iPad to scream "I'll take it," but after being terminally lost on page-6, some other joker found and grabbed it 30 minutes sooner!

I was devistated for three weeks, like I'd lost a lover due to my own stupid indecision. Finally, I took courage and decided to console my broken heart with a visit (or two--or three) back to the Exchange.

IMG_1786.JPG

Yeah, I broke larger than expected. Problem is, I really need to step out again....not sure it's going to happen. ;)

Last edited:
Back