Legal carry prototype

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm working on a few ideas for an every day carry style of knife. I want a knife with a full sized 4.5" handle and a legal to carry (in most places) 3" blade. Here's the first one just out of heat treat, a drop point.

012-1.jpg

Love the idea! A lot of times, the smaller blade like that (2.5 - 3 inches) will come with a shorter handle. I like what you're thinking!

Looks good Daniel.What type of price are you thinking of for these? Would love to see a slight clip point one. What thickness are you going to make the blades 1/8 or 3/16? Love the ideal of a full size handle especially when you have big gorilla hands like mine.

Love the idea! Drop point with a longer handle for my paws to hang on to. What blade steels?

Cool...functional.
Thanks! I think functionality is my #1 goal, if I wouldn't use it I won't make it. I am hard on most gear so that effected my knife making, lol.

Love the idea! A lot of times, the smaller blade like that (2.5 - 3 inches) will come with a shorter handle. I like what you're thinking!
Thanks, I wanted a full sized handle for plenty of grip and leverage combined with legal 3" blade.

Looks good Daniel.What type of price are you thinking of for these? Would love to see a slight clip point one. What thickness are you going to make the blades 1/8 or 3/16? Love the ideal of a full size handle especially when you have big gorilla hands like mine.

Pricing - $120 range most likely. This one is 1/8" O1 steel so it should be very versatile. I could do a clip point no problem.

I will be making more if the design goes over well. I'll do a big run in 1084 fg and sell them for $100 if I can pull it off.

This one looks awesome Daniel!!
Much appreciated!

Love the idea! Drop point with a longer handle for my paws to hang on to. What blade steels?
This one is .125" O1 high carbon tool steel!

I'll order a bunch of steel for more to keep the price down. I'm considering a 1084 version, maybe a pricier A2 version (fat?) and maybe even more in O1, it is my go-to all around steel.

suh-huh-huh-weet!
Thanks! This one is going for a good cause, I hope it goes over well!

This one is .125" O1 high carbon tool steel!

I'll order a bunch of steel for more to keep the price down. I'm considering a 1084 version, maybe a pricier A2 version (fat?) and maybe even more in O1, it is my go-to all around steel.

Thanks! This one is going for a good cause, I hope it goes over well!

Oh, it's going over well, all right, judging from the response. O1 or A2 sounds great!

Sweeeeet a fat A2 slight clip point!!!!!!! I would carry that baby on my belt horizontal every where! $100 run that sounds like a sure winner!! OOOPs though I told momma I was done ordering knives.I ill have to kep this on the down low.

Sweeeeet a fat A2 slight clip point!!!!!!! I would carry that baby on my belt horizontal every where! $100 run that sounds like a sure winner!! OOOPs though I told momma I was done ordering knives.I ill have to kep this on the down low.

BC, I do pretty good at keeping my orders on the down low, that is until the mail runs late on Mondays.
Always seems like my packages come on Monday, after I've left for work. (I work 2nd shift.)

I'm working on a few ideas for an every day carry style of knife. I want a knife with a full sized 4.5" handle and a legal to carry (in most places) 3" blade. Here's the first one just out of heat treat, a drop point.

012-1.jpg

And the frenzied mob shrieked:"More pix! Update! More Pix!"

Thanks guys! I am exploring steel options for a possible run.

I did some more grinding today and it is getting closer. I'm deciding on scales and may go with black/grey layered G10.

Nice knife, crappy photo...

011-2.jpg

Photo looks fine to me :D Im in for one...can you do other handles? I was thinking tan g10 or natural canvas micarta...if not, no biggie, I'm still in.

Photo looks fine to me :D Im in for one...can you do other handles? I was thinking tan g10 or natural canvas micarta...if not, no biggie, I'm still in.

Sounds good! I like to do a variety of G10 and Micarta scales, tan or natural canvas micarta would be nice. I have tan/black layered G10 for this one. I'll do a run here eventually, I can keep you in mind or email me at danielfairlyknives@gmail.com and I'll set you up for an order. I'm guessing $100/$120/$140 depending on the steel.

Had to steal your picture,Daniel,and run a teaser picture over on the other place.

Really liking this one....but I guess we could have predicted that;right?

~Gnarly :devilish:

Had to steal your picture,Daniel,and run a teaser picture over on the other place.

Really liking this one....but I guess we could have predicted that;right?

~Gnarly :devilish:

Very cool! Thanks Gnarly! :cool:

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the real world difference between those 3 steels? Other than price of course:D

Great lookin knife. Always stayed away from shorter blades because of the handle length. Love the hollow grind, lots of steel behind the tip. Looks like it'll balance great

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the real world difference between those 3 steels? Other than price of course:D

Great lookin knife. Always stayed away from shorter blades because of the handle length. Love the hollow grind, lots of steel behind the tip. Looks like it'll balance great

As the price goes up so does the edge retention and toughness. 1084 is a great carbon steel and the 1084fg I use has vanadium so the edge holding and toughness is excellent. This steel won the recent W&SS neck knife challenge for edge retention and overall knife if I remember correctly. The O1 has even better edge retention and toughness than the 1084 then the A2 is over the top in both categories, probably more than what is really needed... it should hold an edge forever and is the toughest of the three. The 1084 is probably easiest to maintain but will need the most maintenence, the O1 is in the middle and the A2 will be a tiny bit harder to sharpen but will really hold an edge.

I'm still not 100% sure on the steel or steels I will use for the bulk of the run. I really like the 1084, it is just great steel. The O1 is also very good and is my second most used steel behind 5160. The A2 is just nuts, it has very high edge retention coupled with extreme toughness. I get the 1084fg from NJ Steelbaron, Aldo really knows his blade steel and the 1084 fg is great stuff.

Back