Here is my kitchen knife set...

Top to bottom, then side:

Slicer (Cocobolo)
Heavy Chef (African Blackwood)
Western Gyuto (Cocobolo)
Light Chef (Camatillo)
Petty (African Blackwood)
Parer (Desert Ironwood)

All are made by Dave Loukides except the for parer, which is by Bryan Baker. All the Loukides knives are made from hand-forged 1084 steel and steel bolsters (all are dovetailed but the Heavy Chef). The Baker is made from ATS-34 and also has steel bolsters.

The primary forms of cuisine these are used for is Japanese and Chinese. The slicer is primarily a fish knife, the heavy chef is primarily used as a cleaver, the Western Gyuto does 80-90% of all prep work, the Light Chef is a new addition awaiting testing, the Petty is mostly for small meals or those with minimal prep work, and the parer is mostly used to peel ginger root and slice hot peppers.

What do you have, and what do you use it for?

A pair of Raders on a Boardsmith walnut board

Kikuichi Elite carbon gyuto, with an Opinel paring(steak) knife.

The Raders have pretty effectively killed my desire for more kitchen knives.

I'm jealous. All I have is a few spyderco kitchen knives (santoku, serrated utility and parer) and a Victorinox chef's knife. Still, they work a lot better than the awful stuff that I originally had.

i have but a modest collection, nothing fancy.... still gonna keep buying more though. lol.

left to right: a cheapo 120mm blue steel left handed deba from ebay, suisin 150mm carbon steel petty, aritsugu kyoto santoku 170mm in blue steel, tojiro dp 240mm, fernandez 230mm gyuto in s35vn, garisson (gimmejr here on bladeforums) in aeb-l, misono swedish steel left handed hankotsu, and a swibo boning knife (12c27)

left to right: yoshihiro vg10 damascus 135mm, masamoto 240mm Virgin carbon gyuto, ryouma 165mm funayuki, wusthof paring knife

left to right: vintage old hickory 10" chef knife (lovingly restored, although not perfectly) by me, atlantic chef 8inch chef knife from culinary school, atlantic chef knife paring knife from culinary school and victorinox bird's beak for tourne's.

most of these were bought used....cept for the deba, the funayuki, the hankotsu, my culinary school knives, the wusty, swibo boning knife and garisson's knife. i'm too cheap and too broke to buy new stuff. lol.

looking to get more wa handled knives and bolsterless knives.....

=D

Last edited:
this is a game that I can play lol

I only have one picture right now, but here it is. Bob kramer design that is made by Shun. I keep going back and forth on if I should have gotten this set or the carbon henkels version (same kramer design).

I was cutting up a green pepper for a jambalaya (now long gone lol).

I am really enjoying these knives, that handle colors are not my favorite, but I like everything else about them a lot, especially how they handle. The knife block that I have sucks, I am thinking about making one with some hardwood and magnets...maybe a summer project...

8725354380_61ab008efc_c.jpg

and because there is a chance someone will ask, the cutting board is a Boos block board...It is rather massive for my apartment, but I like the size a lot...just have a hard time cleaning it. I also need to get something to treat the wood with too...

When i got to handle the knives, i also got to handle a Bob kramer original (one of the ones that he made, it was the chef knife of this set), and it handled beautifully. unfortunately it was 1800 bucks and I couldn't buy it. I got my set from sur la table in san Francisco when I was there on vacation, I went in to look and they had their display set on sale for half price, called my mom down and got my highschool graduation gift. By far one of the most usefull gifts I have gotten.

A few of the knives in my kitchen.

knives035.jpg

This photo is a few years old and does not include the 154CM, CPM-S35VN, and CTS-XHP knives I'm currently testing.

Big Mike

LOVE the mini special hunters, Big Mike. I owned a pair of them and foolishly sold them off, but before I did they spent all their time in my kitchen.

Back