Let's see your kitchen knives

Here's ac ouple of mine:

An old 9" Sabatier rehandled by Dave Loukides -
DSC_0004-002.jpg

This one just arrived two days ago, a Santouku by Phillip Patton -
042613-1_zps9d888a61.jpg

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, new poster here. So be easy on me.

I've inherited this set from my parents and it's been hiding in the cupboard for a sad 5 or so years.
I would like to ask if any of you can help me identify this brand.
The two bottom ones needs TLC, I guess they were my Mom's favourite. Second from the bottom needs a new cutting edge since my dad used it to cut a branch off a tree and cracked the blade and decided to grind it off. Also it's missing some rivets.

This has been a long time WIP for me and I do not know where to begin.
Any inputs are welcome.

Hey there - not sure of the brand but I'd be using that cleaver all the time. Looks like a bruiser for sure!

And that Patton is awesome. I had a san mai santoku by Patton for like a week before selling it, unused. Couldn't bring myself to beat on it, but if I had a second chance I would have put it through the ringer.

This is my favorite kitchen knife and has to be the cheapest...I used to work in the produce section of a supermarket in the 80's and 90's, and they gave these away to the guys for free...well 17 years of working with this knife shape...i went through at least 9 of them due to theft, garbage disposers the big 10 hp's, and just grinding them down to nubs....the sheep's foot pattern has to be my favorite, whether a santuko of paring knife size.

Had a good day at work yesterday and after we closed up the boss gave me a knife, nothing special but I didn't have anything worth speaking of and he wanted me to experience what a Japanese knife is like. (If I'm telling customers about them I need to have at least experienced their abilities)

Tojiro Shirogami Gyuto
IMAG0026.jpg

I don't have photos but the main knives we use in the kitchen are Wusthof Grand Prix (original version). 8" Chef's knife, 6" slicer, and 3" paring knife. We also use a set of Kutmaster serrated, full tang steak knives for more casual tasks. My grandfather, who was the VP of Utica Cutlery, gave us the set when we got married back in 1978. They're still going strong even after putting them in the dishwasher before we knew better. I needed to restore them after a couple years of doing that in the old days.

Dang Mr.VonB, you are getting some serious steel. This looks like a tad lower tip profile and a bit flatter than normal, maybe I am wrong, how does it feel?

Dang Mr.VonB, you are getting some serious steel. This looks like a tad lower tip profile and a bit flatter than normal, maybe I am wrong, how does it feel?

Yep it seems to have a flatter profile than other Burkes I've seen. It is an awesome knife, definitely a workhorse

Back