Let's see your Traditional Case knives, old to new.

Ted, a BEAUTIFUL Coppehead:thumbsup:

This circa 1940-1964 spear/pen red bone Barlow arrived today. Full blades, no play and gorgeous red rag bone:cool:

ARfCJw.jpg
That's great Paul. Reminds me of my first Case, except mine had a clip blade.

Man, step away for awhile and photobucket folks have instituted their own version of ransomware. So, I've moved on to another host and am now trying to update some old posts/pics in a few threads. I'd like to eventually update 'em all because pictures are obviously a great resource for us knife knuts. I think I've got this thread updated now. Here are a couple of my latest...

Case XX USA 8-dot 6232 Texas Jack c.1972
7XLCx8v.jpg

Case/Bose Wharncliffe Trapper
qZBFacZ.jpg

I've just gotten interested in Case and started reading everything I can find on the subject. The "Case College" on the WRCase website is particularly interesting. A few days ago I spotted this medium stockman (6318) in a local sporting goods store and figured that would be a good one to start with. This is my first experience with a California clip and I think it's kind of "sexy". :p
Unfortunately, there are at least nine variations on the stockman pattern currently in production, with two kinds of steel for some of them and three kinds of steel for at least one, and untold numbers of handle materials, so great self-control is called for... :D

35591705021_e700e9ccd9_b.jpg

so great self-control is called for... :D

Ummm... you are unlikely find a group here that encourages self-control regarding the purchase of knives. Just sayin'.

I also like the California clip. And I find that a 3 1/2" stockman is about the perfect size for my needs.

Unfortunately, there are at least nine variations on the stockman pattern currently in production, with two kinds of steel for some of them and three kinds of steel for at least one, and untold numbers of handle materials, so great self-control is called for... :D

Awe come on, Ace. You gotta get at least three more. Seriously though, nice Stockman! Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the kind welcome. Well, since getting that one I've discovered (thanks to the Case website) a hardware store 20 miles away that is a platinum dealer and is pretty well stocked. So... I've already picked up a 6344 medium stockman in blue bone. :)
My wife says that I need to get some kind of display case, but I'm on to her -- if I do that then I won't be able to sneak any new ones into the house. :p Won't be able to use the old standby, "Oh, that knife? I've had that one for ages, I'm sure you just haven't noticed it...". ;)

Last edited:
Here's my new 6344 Medium Stockman in blue bone with Rogers corn cob jigging (stock number 2806). I think this one is a perfect "goin' to town" knife, only 3.25 inches long and quite slim. I was looking for something small and considered a Peanut, but this one is only about 3/8 inch longer than the Peanut, has three blades instead of two, and is my favorite pattern. :D
Purchased just a few days ago but note the 2015 tang stamp.

35372639280_5c78004362_c.jpg

Last edited:
So I never thought I would be posting in this thread but I am now glad to have the opportunity to do so. Many of the Case knives I have seen whilst doing some online window shopping have failed to "grab" me and I tend to quickly pass them by. I don't know exactly what I find off putting about a lot of them but I think their cover materials have something to do with it, at least with their current offerings. The few that I have had the chance to handle have usually provided a rather lackluster experience for me and they generally have failed to produce any further desire to pursue them as acquisitions.

Now I know that modern Case is different from years and decades past and that, in of itself, could very well be the cause of my overall lack of interest, at least in their current offerings. I have certainly seen some of their older Scouts and Barlows, particularly ones with their iconic Red Bone, that have surely piqued my interest so I have been hesitant to write them off completely.

Enter the knife that has recently come into my possession. I have seen a member or two here display this particular knife before and I liked the pattern so much that I have been on the casual lookout for it ever since. I happened to find one available and was fortunate enough to be able to get in the "last word" or keystroke/click and it soon found its way to my mailbox. Upon opening the package, it was literally love at first sight. I had not staked too much hope on this blade as I wasn't sure what to expect but I was absolutely thrilled with this knife. Now before I continue my observations and experience, I suppose a picture is in order. I do not know what this knife is officially called but it is a single sheepsfoot bladed jack with wood (Walnut?) covers.

pkZBidr.jpg

On to my review. When I first received the knife, I was immediately struck by how light and slim it was, yet despite that, it was comfortable to hold and the blade is actually quite substantial. It has a stiff pull and a half stop, both of which rival my Bullnose in their stoutness and it closes with an authoritative snap. As I have grown to love the stoutness of my Bullnose, the exceptional walk and talk of this Case came as a very pleasant surprise. As I did not purchase this knife to collect, but rather to use, it did not come with a box and it certainly did not come in mint condition. That being said, it looks like the knife was perhaps carried a bit but used very little. The blade still looks to have its factory edge and appears to have never been sharpened. The wood covers have some small dings here and there and there is even what appears to be a flaw in the grain towards the butt of the knife. There are a couple of spots on the spine and the shield had a spot of rust on it. Being that all of these blemishes are aesthetic, I find them endearing and they certainly lend some character to this beautiful knife.

If I am reading the tang stamp correctly, this appears to be a '70s vintage knife? In conclusion, this very well might become my new favorite knife and it has certainly given me a good reason to pay Case knives closer mind in the future.

Here are some more pics. After all, what is a review without pictures?

IK6XQdr.jpg

5TfCM7X.jpg

SppJAKj.jpg

Dylan, congratulations on your new Case! Your knife is a 31 pattern (regular jack), dated 1972. Yes, handles are walnut. The 31 comes in several configurations: 2-blade Jack (clip/pen or spear/pen) with endcap bolsters and without, electrician's knife with spear main or hawkbill main and screwdriver/wirestripper, etc. That's a really good-looking knife and great pictures and review. :thumbsup:

Back